OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have two R4i-SDHC's, One is an R4i-SDHC 3DS WIFI RTS, And the other is just an R4i-SDHC.

The icon of the R4i 3DS Looks like the bomberman thing. (See image)
20220503_002731.jpg

How can I change it to image 2?20220503_003225.jpg

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
If the card is compatible with ntrboot I think you can back it up, edit the banner in the backup, and flash the edited backup to it with ntrboot flasher, I'm not sure if this works correctly on every card however.

If it's not compatible with ntrboot then I don't think it's possible to change the icon.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the card is compatible with ntrboot I think you can back it up, edit the banner in the backup, and flash the edited backup to it with ntrboot flasher, I'm not sure if this works correctly on every card however.

If it's not compatible with ntrboot then I don't think it's possible to change the icon.
Isn't the icon part of the whitelist bypass?

I'm surprised to see an R4 logo instead of a retail game above.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Memedew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Canada

I've never used NTRBoot, is it noobproof, and if so, where can I get it?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
I've never used NTRBoot, is it noobproof, and if so, where can I get it?
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

I haven't done it myself, but I think the actual ntrboot flasher part should be fairly simple assuming your card is supported, just follow from that page of the guide through to dumping your flash, there is no need to actually flash ntrboot onto your flashcard so you can skip anything besides the backup dumping.

Once you've got the backup, editing it isn't exactly noob friendly but it's not too bad. Keep in mind that I haven't done this myself so I can't guarantee it'll work, but I am familiar with editing NDS banners in general and I know it's been done before so it'll probably work.
  1. Backup your flashcard using ntrboot flasher
  2. Download ntrbootbanner.py (right click -> save as)
    • If you don't have Python 3, install it
    • It's a very simple script, the NDS file starts at 0x2000 in the backup bin, banner offset is a u32 at 0x68 in the NDS header, banner is probably 0x840 bytes at 0x2000 + banner offset, just made this little script so I don't have to explain that if you're not familiar with hex editing, if you are feel free to do that manually instead
  3. In the terminal run python3 ntrbootbanner.py -x banner.bin path/to/backup.bin (replace path/to/backup.bin with your actual path, you can usually just drag drop the file onto the terminal/cmd window)
  4. You now should have a banner.bin file that you can edit using any DS banner editor such as MessAnimDSIco or create a new one using dsibanner.py (right click -> save as), NDS Banner Editor may work too, however it seems to always export a DSi type banner which will most likely not work in this case
  5. Once you have your new/edited banner.bin, you can inject it back to the backup bin with python3 ntrbootbanner.py -i banner.bin path/to/backup.bin (again, replace path/to/banner.bin with the real path as above)
  6. Restore your edited backup bin using ntrboot flasher (this part of the guide)

Please let me know if this doesn't work and I'll see what I can do about it, I know for certain this is possible for some cards at least as I've seen it done, however I don't remember it being explained how it was done and I've never done it myself it's possible there's more that needs to be done then just edit the banner. There might be some kinda hash in those first 0x2000 bytes before the NDS file starts or something, not sure what those are...

Memedew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Canada
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

I haven't done it myself, but I think the actual ntrboot flasher part should be fairly simple assuming your card is supported, just follow from that page of the guide through to dumping your flash, there is no need to actually flash ntrboot onto your flashcard so you can skip anything besides the backup dumping.

Once you've got the backup, editing it isn't exactly noob friendly but it's not too bad. Keep in mind that I haven't done this myself so I can't guarantee it'll work, but I am familiar with editing NDS banners in general and I know it's been done before so it'll probably work.
  1. Backup your flashcard using ntrboot flasher
  2. Download ntrbootbanner.py (right click -> save as)
    • If you don't have Python 3, install it
    • It's a very simple script, the NDS file starts at 0x2000 in the backup bin, banner offset is a u32 at 0x68 in the NDS header, banner is probably 0x840 bytes at 0x2000 + banner offset, just made this little script so I don't have to explain that if you're not familiar with hex editing, if you are feel free to do that manually instead
  3. In the terminal run python3 ntrbootbanner.py -x banner.bin path/to/backup.bin (replace path/to/backup.bin with your actual path, you can usually just drag drop the file onto the terminal/cmd window)
  4. You now should have a banner.bin file that you can edit using any DS banner editor such as MessAnimDSIco or create a new one using dsibanner.py (right click -> save as), NDS Banner Editor may work too, however it seems to always export a DSi type banner which will most likely not work in this case
  5. Once you have your new/edited banner.bin, you can inject it back to the backup bin with python3 ntrbootbanner.py -i banner.bin path/to/backup.bin (again, replace path/to/banner.bin with the real path as above)
  6. Restore your edited backup bin using ntrboot flasher (this part of the guide)

Please let me know if this doesn't work and I'll see what I can do about it, I know for certain this is possible for some cards at least as I've seen it done, however I don't remember it being explained how it was done and I've never done it myself it's possible there's more that needs to be done then just edit the banner. There might be some kinda hash in those first 0x2000 bytes before the NDS file starts or something, not sure what those are...

This is wayy too confusing. I hate downloading so much Python junk

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
This is wayy too confusing. I hate downloading so much Python junk
If you prefer it can all be done in a hex editor, Python is just an easy language to quickly write a little script in and it makes it a lot simpler to explain. Basically all you need to do is somehow or other edit the banner in the ROM, if you can dump both of them you could just copy the banner from one to the other, just don't flash the whole dumped backup as that'll probably be bad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E