HOWTO: Apply a screen protector on your NDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MajinBuu, Jan 29, 2008.

Jan 29, 2008
  1. MajinBuu
    OP

Newcomer MajinBuu Member

Sweden
    I've seen numerous people asking for a guide on how to apply a screen protector on your ds. And that's why I decided to write one on GBAtemp, and hopefully those annoying air bubbles and dust [​IMG] under your film screen will be gone after reading this guide.

THIS GUIDE ONLY COVERS THE BOTTOM SCREEN, I belive it's a waste of time and money to protect the top screen ,since you never "touch" it.

I also don't belive in buying "cheap" or fake screen protectors, this guide is based on my HORI experience

Here's what you need:

[​IMG]

1 Screen Protector (o rly?) I'm a Hori fan my self..

2. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    good guide i hate screen protecters their a bitch to put on (just off to have a go again to get rid off airbubbles) thanks [​IMG]

3. mikesinclair555

Member mikesinclair555 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thank you, this is a very useful guide

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    True, you don't touch the top screen, but that doesn't mean it can't get scratched! I've got a couple of scratches on my top screen protector, and I'm glad I have it applied.

Useful guide nonetheless. Now if only I could find Phat-sized bottom screen protectors at a local store anywhere... (tried a Lite-sized one, didn't fit)

5. Jundeezy

Member Jundeezy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Cool. Thanks for this I'll try it out when i can.

6. resres

Newcomer resres Member

United States
    Another thing to add is that you should use scotch tape when actually applying it to the screen. When you use your fingers, your fingerprints may get stuck on the sticky side and show up when you're done. If you use tape, it may be more accurate and no fingerprints.

Not sure if that helps, but it's helped me with some of my screen protectors on other stuff. =p

7. flanker22

Newcomer flanker22 Advanced Member

United States
    one thing you forgot to mention is that hori screen protectors are slightly smaller than the actual screen.

before you apply them you wanna choose if you want to anchor the protector on an edge of the screen or place in the center with an even gap surrounding it.

8. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    haha, My screen protectors are perfectly placed on, but your topic had interesting infos. Nice guide, real useful.

9. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Nice guide, maybe some people would appreciate pictures though.

10. lubenthrust

Newcomer lubenthrust Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the guide. I have a question -- is there a good way to clean the sticky side of a Hori protector, aside from tape? Mine seems to have picked up a lot of dust when I transferred it from one DS Lite to another. Would be nice if I could dip / wash it with some sort of solution.

11. MajinBuu
    OP

Newcomer MajinBuu Member

Sweden
    Well you can either use the solution I provided above or use soap to remove the dust.. then use a clean lint to remove most of the dust.. and finally I would highly recomend you use scotch tape to remove the dust particles, hope it helps [​IMG]

Glad I could help guys [​IMG]

I will post pictures as soon as I can!

12. lubenthrust

Newcomer lubenthrust Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if water, alcohol, etc. would affect the silicone side of the Hori. Have you washed yours before?

13. MajinBuu
    OP

Newcomer MajinBuu Member

Sweden
    I've washed my hori with both soap and the solution provided before, i didn't spot a difference at all, except for the clean side.. and i used scotch tape to remove the remaining dust particles [​IMG]

14. Dr.Norton

Newcomer Dr.Norton Advanced Member

Canada
    guys i dont know which screen to apply to the top or bottom, theres one with a red tab with a bigger plastic, and a smaller one with a yellow?(maybe green im color blind) tab.

so which is for which?

nevermind i found this article with google:

15. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    One protector should be smaller than the other. The smaller one goes on the bottom screen, and the larger one on the top.

16. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    I bought some protectors (which turned out to be fake), and I ended up throwing them out because I got a whole lot of shit stuck to the silicone side.... lol.

17. mynameis

Newcomer mynameis Member

United Kingdom
    Microfibre cloth- what is that? What's it feel like? LOL I know its a wacky question but i've got loads of clothes lying around at home and I dunno how I distuingish a microfibre cloth from any other cloth. Also is a Hori Cloth microfibre?

18. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Good thing the DS and DSlite have same sized screens. I'll be getting screen protectors for my DS soon, (I sure need one)

I plan on doing a case mod to my GBA and my DS phat. Anyone know of good guides for either one?

I saw one at Maxconsole I think, any one know anyothers?

19. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Be careful with that. I bought DS Lite screen protectors from Gamestop thinking they would fit on my DS Phat but they were too large by just a tiny fraction of an inch that made it impossible to get them on without modification.

20. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    What's funny is that they're easier to apply when you're drunk.