Hardware How would you value an Ambassador 3DS?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm umming and erring over how much i can sell this thing for....i bought it at launch so i'll never recoup my costs now, but i'd like to get a decent return. It's essentially not been used....i've tinkered with it but was relatively unimpressed by what i saw and it's lucky to have seen more than 30 minutes of "on" time, so mint condition wouldn't be unfair. Obviously it's got the ambassador titles but i've also got that numbered ltd. AR t shirt that Nintendo gave away to the first 3000 European registrants still sealed in it's bag.

I know it's going to be painful since a new 3DS costs £125 now and i paid over £200 for the pleasure of it's company, but surely the Ambassador content and t-shirt must be worth something extra?

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a feeling, but I'd say maybe around £160 to £180?
Some people aren't even aware of what the ambassador status IS.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yeah the ambassador means extra value to a 3DS. An ambassador 3DS is around $260 dollars here in chile, while one without it is around $200.

I ended up having both a 3DS and a PSP to enjoy games at best as 3DS alone wasn't "that fulfilling" but enough (think of a Wii portable)

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get too greedy. If you try to sell for too high a price then you won't sell and the longer you don't sell the value will go down. I wouldn't pay very much more for a hardly used 3ds with ambassador games already selected. Maybe some people will though. I would say 10 to 20 dollars more than a regular used 3ds in the same condition.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I have a 3DS with the ambassador titles but like many people, i would of rather had the discount in money returned or to pick my own titles that i wanted rather than having said games offered to me.

If i didn't have a 3DS and i wanted to purchase a 2nd hand 3DS, the ambassador titles would mean nought to me and i wouldn't want to pay any extra for a 2nd hand 3DS which had them.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most businesses don't value Ambassdor 3DS units any higher than a regular one. Mostly because they tend to be reformatted first thing, but generally because they don't care.

Your best bet is local classified/Craigslist. Make it clear that there are extra games on the system, though.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i guess personally, i would cap it at 150 bucks somewhere, everything else would just seem too expensive for me...

unless you find someone who knows what it is worth, aiming too high probably wont get you to a sell.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't consider the free games extra value at all. The system would get reformatted if traded in at a video store. Selling on ebay takes too long for electronics now. Plus there fees zap away any little gain from selling it. Find a friend to sell it to and don't charge extra for the ambassador content. Nintendo already ripped you off, don't do the same to a friend. The 3DS isn't a worth wild system and 3rd party support is already crap (like wii crap but worse). It is a budget system for little kids. I'm only holding on to mine for paper mario, a game that might as well be vaporware. I regret buying mine completely.

avran89

ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunate a 3DS with "Ambassador" isn't worth extra when selling it for resell. When I bought my 3ds with ambassador online, it was $115 (85 euro) and it came with extra dsi ware and other games.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This would come down to the rarity of Ambassador consoles.

I estimate about 25-30% of 3DS consoles are Ambassador consoles. And the 3DS has been available for only a year. Imagine at the end of the 3DS's lifetime, a LOT more 3DS's will have been sold. Five years from now, there'd probably be under 5% of 3DS's will be Ambassador consoles.

That means only about 5% of 3DS's (if even that) will have the GBA games. There'll be no point with the NES games as they will all eventually be released soon, so the potential value will cut right in half.

But still considering that an ambassador console would have been purchased at the Launch price, those who've got the Ambassador games effectively paid that much for their 3DS, so the Ambassador games will account for the extra cash.

But remember what I said, the potential value will cut right in half. But only for the money that was effectively spent on the ambassador games will be cut.

As I'm in Australia and paid 350$ for mine, now it is 250$. So the worth of the Ambassador games for me would be 100$ for the 20. Cut that down to 10 games, and my 3DS becomes $50 more than the standard 3DS. So if my 3DS was brand-new, it would be priced at about 300$ But mine's still in a like-new condition, because I take care of it. So a little bit of the price should be taken off, let's say 20$.

Now let's go ahead to the year 2021, the 3DS is now 10 years old, and like all consoles after discontinuation (and after they're not being sold anymore), their price will raise slowly over time. I'd say with a 3DS that's worth about $280, it's price will have raised to say, 300$-350$ on auction sites. And add to that the rarity of the Ambassador system, the price will be raised slightly because of the increase of value.

But this is dragging on. To sum up, the longer you wait to sell an Ambassador 3DS, the more you'll get for it.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>.> So basically, wait until the consoles dead and a rarity to sell it? Yeah, I don't think that's what the author of the topic was looking for, mariofanatic64..

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh...I thought the ambassador games are only linked to your account? not to the 3DS.
It would be better if they were linked anyway..then if you ever bought a 3DS again you can get them back.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The resounding feeling i get is that despite the general goodwill towards the ambassador scheme after the 3DS price drop, in reality it's not of any value and anyone who bought a launch console got totally screwed over. I'm getting to the point where it's worrying me how much i expect to lose on the console given that it's essentially brand new.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much most 3DS consoles on eBay have ambassador titles on them and most sell at £90-£110 in auction. Places like Cex don't see any difference between a console with and a console without so they won't give you much. Sometime in the future it could be worth more but that depends on what titles appear on eShop to buy, already we're seeing some of the NES games on there.

Either way I don't see it as "screwing the customer over" they didn't have to give these titles away, maybe the equivalent of the price drop could have been given in eshop points but still its not something they had to do. I would have bought some of these games eventually...and at the moment Mario Bros & Zelda are something like £5.40 now you can buy them on eShop. I'm guessing the GBA titles if they do hit the service would be the same or more. However I did buy the Mario 3D Land pack for £125 from Sainsburys and then traded it for someones black 3DS with all the ambassador titles plus several eshop games...and kept the game on so I've had a good deal :P

Oh...I thought the ambassador games are only linked to your account? not to the 3DS.
It would be better if they were linked anyway..then if you ever bought a 3DS again you can get them back.
Kinda takes away the whole point of Nintendo giving these away. For them its for customers "loyal" by supporting them early.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
The resounding feeling i get is that despite the general goodwill towards the ambassador scheme after the 3DS price drop, in reality it's not of any value and anyone who bought a launch console got totally screwed over. I'm getting to the point where it's worrying me how much i expect to lose on the console given that it's essentially brand new.
I'm not so sure. When PS3s sans PS2 emulation were released, the value of used PS3s with emulation went up. Even now you pay more for used consoles with PS2 emulation (about £165 for a refurbished model, £10 lower than a brand new slimline). Granted, PS2 emulation offers a lot more than the 20 Ambassador games we got, but it's possible a collector would be willing to pay more for an Ambassador console, perhaps even just for the certificate. Others would see it as coming with 20 low value games to play. There's always going to be someone that would want an Ambassador console more than a brand new one.

eBay makes it much harder to find out if these things sold for more. None of the current listings have the word "ambassador" in the title, maybe you could use that to your advantage (if you plan on using eBay)
?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)