How would you keep this ribbon cable in place? [N3DS]

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by cooroxd, Jan 16, 2016.

1. cooroxd
    OP

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    During my shell swapping i accidentally snapped off the plastic lock thing that keeps the touch screen cable in place (as shown in the red circle). However, the ribbon cable still works and I need ideas of how to lock it in place without that tiny plastic lock thing. Or tell me where I can buy the plastic lock.

[​IMG]

2. porko

porko GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2008
    my ghetto fix would be to cut a bit of firm foam/rubber to the right size, and have it push against the cable and the back of the shell.

or if you still have the tiny bit of plastic, since it clips in, it might still clip in even if the hinge is gone.

3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    This used to happen to PSP's I used to mess with my fix was a tiny piece of electrical tape to hold it in place and to put a very small piece of paper in between the housing to apply pressure but this is a super ghetto fix :P

4. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    I did this today on a 2DS..
    I took the broken part and stuck it on as it would normally go..
    Then i put a small drop of hot glue on the plastic part that i put back.. I immediately used my finger to flatten the glob of hot glue, and it cooled quickly

If i ever want to remove it, I'll use a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol to loosen the hot glue for easy removal.

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Hot glue. Hot glue is the magic fix to anything that can be held in place without much force. And the best part is that it's easy to remove later on :)

6. cooroxd
    OP

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    So do I add the drop of hot glue at the contact points?

7. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yeah, just put a small blob of hot glue where the lock would normally go. Try to apply some pressure to the ribbon cable when you're applying the hot glue and while it hardens so that it makes proper contact.

8. ViolentRockstar

ViolentRockstar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    Wait a minute. SO you put glue UNDER the contacts, not on the UPSIDE of the ribbon? If that's the case, I've been a huge idiot since mine's not working.

9. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I was thinking hot glue on the top, to keep the ribbon cable pressed towards the contacts, but there's no guarantee it will work. I might have slightly overstated the capabilities of hot glue :P
    Hot glue might work, but it's certainly not a magic fix. So it's not really surprising that it doesn't work for you. You can remove it with rubbing alcohol and try again.

10. ViolentRockstar

ViolentRockstar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hardenberg, Overijssel
    Thanks for your effort. I just accidentally dropped the 3ds and broke the ribbon cable to the screen + battery pins. I'm gonna look for a new 3ds.

11. mgrev

mgrev Legit Gladiator

Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    i did this, it worked.