How would I dual boot XP on a machine with Vista already installed?

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I have a machine with Vista installed, and it's terribly slow. I'm going to install TinyXP on it, but I'm not sure where to start.
It has to be a dual boot. In case stuff goes wrong, I still want at least one working OS on it.

I will not be upgrading to Windows 7, because the computer will not support it. TinyXP is perfectly fine.

Could someone please redirect me to a guide, or show me how I would install it dual boot?

I have the TinyXP iso, going to burn it to a disk soon.

Thanks

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EasyBCD - use this program it works well. (this is post OS install, for helping with dualboot)

I recommend having a live linux usb/cd close by as well encase something really goes wrong. - this can also remove the need to keep windows vista if you have no important data thats not backed up.
i also dont recommend partitions if you are using only one HDD (being you want your vista install untouched), i just dont like the risk of data loss. use separate HDDs. (also, a lot of new harddrives will have MAJOR problems trying to install xp)

I also say upgrade to windows 7, the requirements are the same. it will run much better then vista.

Reactions: 1 person

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EasyBCD - use this program it works well. (this is post OS install, for helping with dualboot)

I recommend having a live linux usb/cd close by as well encase something really goes wrong. - this can also remove the need to keep windows vista if you have no important data thats not backed up.
i also dont recommend partitions if you are using only one HDD (being you want your vista install untouched), i just dont like the risk of data loss. use separate HDDs. (also, a lot of new harddrives will have MAJOR problems trying to install xp)

I also say upgrade to windows 7, the requirements are the same. it will run much better then vista.

I searched EasyBCD. What exactly does it do? Does it just add a new partition so when I put the CD in with the iso I install it to that?
I'm sort of confused.

1,000th post.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EasyBCD is a really nice boot manager- it subverts the standard windows one and allows chain loading and other fun things to work around all the nonsense MS likes to do.

Back on topic although I like dual booting and easyBCD is my chosen method (although I too would have a liveCD of some form close to hand to sort things if you do) you might consider running a VM instead ( https://www.virtualbox.org/ is what I suggest for those not used to such things). You say Vista so I am not sure of your specs but as long as you are running more than about 2 gigs of ram (although that is pushing it and 3 or 4 is better) and just need tinyXP for the legacy nonsense and stuff go with that instead.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EasyBCD is a really nice boot manager- it subverts the standard windows one and allows chain loading and other fun things to work around all the nonsense MS likes to do.

Back on topic although I like dual booting and easyBCD is my chosen method (although I too would have a liveCD of some form close to hand to sort things if you do) you might consider running a VM instead ( https://www.virtualbox.org/ is what I suggest for those not used to such things). You say Vista so I am not sure of your specs but as long as you are running more than about 2 gigs of ram (although that is pushing it and 3 or 4 is better) and just need tinyXP for the legacy nonsense and stuff go with that instead.
i used this to dual boot win864bits&732bits work perfectly also i use ireboot to switch and win 8 got a nice menu to choose which os to boot whe you start the pc

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have worked with Virtual Machines before, but if I were to install it on a VM, would it run slow because the main computer running the VM is slow? The machine has 2GB of ram.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it's likely, if the whole machine is slow.

However if it came with 2GB of RAM then unless it's a netbook it'll likely run fine after some cleanup. It could just be one stray program doing something it shouldn't be.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/272667-general-windows-maintenance-guide/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte