How would I dual boot XP on a machine with Vista already installed?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Aijelsop, May 13, 2012.

1. Aijelsop
    OP

Aijelsop Question Asker

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2010
    United States
    Hello. I have a machine with Vista installed, and it's terribly slow. I'm going to install TinyXP on it, but I'm not sure where to start.
    It has to be a dual boot. In case stuff goes wrong, I still want at least one working OS on it.

I will not be upgrading to Windows 7, because the computer will not support it. TinyXP is perfectly fine.

Could someone please redirect me to a guide, or show me how I would install it dual boot?

I have the TinyXP iso, going to burn it to a disk soon.

Thanks

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Usually it's just
    1) New partition
    2) Begin install
    3) Select new partition during setup
    4) If necessary, create a new boot entry for whatever OS.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Alternatively, you can see this site for more details. It's a little old, but still works.

4. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    1 person likes this.
  5. hatredg0d

hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2009
    United States
    Minnesota
    EasyBCD - use this program it works well. (this is post OS install, for helping with dualboot)

I recommend having a live linux usb/cd close by as well encase something really goes wrong. - this can also remove the need to keep windows vista if you have no important data thats not backed up.
    i also dont recommend partitions if you are using only one HDD (being you want your vista install untouched), i just dont like the risk of data loss. use separate HDDs. (also, a lot of new harddrives will have MAJOR problems trying to install xp)

I also say upgrade to windows 7, the requirements are the same. it will run much better then vista.

1 person likes this.
  6. Aijelsop
    OP

Aijelsop Question Asker

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2010
    United States
    I searched EasyBCD. What exactly does it do? Does it just add a new partition so when I put the CD in with the iso I install it to that?
    I'm sort of confused.

1,000th post.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    EasyBCD is a really nice boot manager- it subverts the standard windows one and allows chain loading and other fun things to work around all the nonsense MS likes to do.

Back on topic although I like dual booting and easyBCD is my chosen method (although I too would have a liveCD of some form close to hand to sort things if you do) you might consider running a VM instead ( https://www.virtualbox.org/ is what I suggest for those not used to such things). You say Vista so I am not sure of your specs but as long as you are running more than about 2 gigs of ram (although that is pushing it and 3 or 4 is better) and just need tinyXP for the legacy nonsense and stuff go with that instead.

8. 1NOOB

1NOOB GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2006
    Canada
    Inside My Head...
    i used this to dual boot win864bits&732bits work perfectly also i use ireboot to switch and win 8 got a nice menu to choose which os to boot whe you start the pc

9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    What are the specs of this PC? If it can run Vista, it sure as hell can run 7. Just saying.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    There's tons of machines out there that were sold with Vista, but barely supported it (like, 512MB of RAM and crap like that), so it's not that surprising.

Anyways yeah as pointed out you'll need to redo the bootloader.

11. Aijelsop
    OP

Aijelsop Question Asker

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2010
    United States
    I have worked with Virtual Machines before, but if I were to install it on a VM, would it run slow because the main computer running the VM is slow? The machine has 2GB of ram.

12. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    I'd say it's likely, if the whole machine is slow.

However if it came with 2GB of RAM then unless it's a netbook it'll likely run fine after some cleanup. It could just be one stray program doing something it shouldn't be.
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/272667-general-windows-maintenance-guide/