Hacking How/When will you hack your switch for the first time??

How/when will you hack your switch for the first time?

• First wave of hack (equivalent of 4.1-4.5 on 3ds)

Votes: 50 17.5%
  • Wait for a second wave of hack (9.0-9.2)

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • Use a Flashcart (Gateway)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Use a modchip

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • use a CFW (first that comes out)

Votes: 141 49.5%
  • Use a CFW (wait for a noob friendly one)

Votes: 91 31.9%

• Total voters

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully when Atmosphere CFW/Fusee-Gelee comes out and it doesn't require a PC then I'll hack it. I've been on 3.0.0 since December.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hopefully when Atmosphere CFW/Fusee-Gelee comes out and it doesn't require a PC then I'll hack it. I've been on 3.0.0 since December.
that doesnt require a pc?
do you mean you have no PC :wtf:???

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do, but no USB A-to-C cable :P
ok i see :P
Well you can order cheap one on ebay or amazon i guess?
Seriously, wires are cheap as hell online compared to in store

Well, I remember buying a 50ft long ethernet cable for like 20$ online
And it costed something like 80$ at bestbuy, in store

igivenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somewhere between first and second? I'll wait until the CFW has been well tested, and any kinks are worked out and then try it out. I don't plan on doing things day one but I ain't waiting a year after either.

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I will install custom firmware a week or so after backup loading or GC/ Wii/ Wii U emulation is available.

I wait a week not because I am afraid of being banned (I do not play online), but because many issues are reported (and worked out) during the first days after a release.

If piracy were not a possibility in the near future, I would not have bought a Switch.

Last edited by starburst,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will install custom firmware a week or so after backup loading is available. Not because I am afraid of being banned (I do not play online), but because years of running a rolling release Linux distribution have taught me to wait and read before any important change.

If piracy were not a possibility in the near future, I would not have bought a Switch. (Well, a new, great Fire Emblem game might have made me buy one; but this is not the case.)
Personally, I use piracy to test games, and if i love them and want online features without risk, i buy it :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think we are already past the point of comparing the stage Switch hacking is at now to the early days of 3DS hacking.
Since we already have a bootrom exploit, one that works regardless of FW and grants us full access to the system. We didn't get that on the 3DS until A9LH.
First wave already happened (with homebrew through the browser) but again isn't really comparable to 3DS 4.x, since 3DS 4.x granted us warez loading but not much else whereas the Switch is in the completely opposite situation right now.

The current bootrom exploit would be the second wave, which would be most comparable to ntrboot. Which has also already happened so there is no need to wait.

So I don't think the poll makes any sense whatsoever, but I voted second wave because I skipped the original browser exploit and have a jig on the way soon so I can try out the RCM exploit.

Reactions: Noctosphere

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think we are already past the point of comparing the stage Switch hacking is at now to the early days of 3DS hacking.
Since we already have a bootrom exploit, one that works regardless of FW and grants us full access to the system. We didn't get that on the 3DS until A9LH.
First wave already happened (with homebrew through the browser) but again isn't really comparable to 3DS 4.x, since 3DS 4.x granted us warez loading but not much else whereas the Switch is in the completely opposite situation right now.

The current bootrom exploit would be the second wave, which would be most comparable to ntrboot. Which has also already happened so there is no need to wait.

So I don't think the poll makes any sense whatsoever, but I voted second wave because I skipped the original browser exploit and have a jig on the way soon so I can try out the RCM exploit.
But from what I heard, the newest switch coming out of factories will have this bootrom exploit fixed.
Is that just a fake news or could it be real?
Also, you say the bootrom exploit is available on any firmware
do you mean yet? or it's unfixable?

EDIT : nvm, they cant edit the bootrom, as the name says, you cant write on it :P

D

Deleted User

I'm waiting for CFW to come out and see what it does and doesn't do and how it affects users who go online. I didn't vote in the poll.

The_Baron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im definitely waiting to see what the CFWs will look like, but if a modchip comes out thats cheap and waives the requirement to be tethered on boot, then I would probably pick one up!

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Personally, I use piracy to test games, and if i love them and want online features without risk, i buy it
I agree, but I am such a casual gamer that I usually get too late to the party.

You see, the last console that I played on a regular basis was the Super Nintendo. By the time the N64 and PS1 were successful, I was already in high school and thought that video games were for kids.
I skipped all PlayStation waves, completely. Honestly I do not remember playing a PS game (1 or 2 or 3 or 4, it does not matter.)

It was not until very recently that, out of nostalgia, I discovered and enjoyed games of years past. A couple of years ago, I got a PSP because of ‘Ys’, but also because it could emulate older consoles. And last year I got a N3DS because of ‘FE Fates: Conquest’, but also because it could play GBA and DS games ‘natively’.

For me, piracy is a window to the past, to those ‘missed’ years. And, hopefully, the Switch will also let me play GC, Wii or Wii U games.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Probably as soon as something stable/decent comes out. Not paying to play online, so don't care about possibly getting banned.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I guess I was unclear
When I was talking about first/second wave of hack, I was meaning exploit
like with the 3ds, 4.1-4.5 wasnt for everyone, but 9.0-9.2 was much more noob friendly
And this isn't in any way or form the case on the Switch - so what do we do now?

As for the CFW, the reason I would delay it before installing it on my system is very simple
Nintendo might come out with something. Maybe theyll explore this CFW, and then, when it became popular... BANG, they ban all users with the CFW...
So thats why you separated them into "easy CFW" and "hard CFW"? Also you understand, that "hacks" and CFW are inseperable on the Switch?

Meaning, you'll always need to run "hacks" to load the CFW. It will never "just load on its own". If risk of banning is a thing you are worried about, then use CFW, but dont take it online?

There is no other solution coming along where you'd have appreciably less risk of getting banned, while using "something unlicensed" on the most current firmware. Except for maybe modchips with eemc nand, which are in no form confirmed or announced.

What this thread does is, that it follows a wrong premise, and uses all the tricks of the trade of the conartist, to be able to prop up a form of pseudo "expertise" that isn't there.

("What I meant was, when that thing will happen, that surely will happen - except that there is no indication of it happening - at any time, any where - because it happened that one time, remember - sample size of one...?"

What I meant was not CFW, what I meant was Nintendo, banning CFW, and if people would like to have their consoles banned, or wait... obviously?!)

The premise is entirely wrong. Nothing that happened in the 3DS scene "will repeat itself" in that form in the switch scene.

Here is the incredibly hard to create hypothetical, that ruins your entire gameplan.

What if.... On the switch there will be three waves of "hacks" and only one CFW? Then you of course meant the first two, and only the one..? Also - no understanding about how hacks factor into the CFW launch - no understanding, that hacks can lead to online bans as well - so can modchips. No understanding about what is in development. No recognition just how stupid the attempt of pressing the Switch hacking releases into the 3DS mold just is - just a "I think I might have explained my position badly - what I really meant was..." and then fluff.

I don't know why you made up those "parallels that don't exist", I don't know why you are insisting on waiting for stuff that never will be possible on the console, from our current knowledgebase, I don't know why you are seperating out approaches that can't be separated out - and I don't know, why you are getting the high participation responses you are getting - but this entire thread - is unfiltered nonsense.

Made up to look like someone could know what he is talking about. With an added user participation element, of "when will you think you will do" - which always is very popular, in instilling in everyone, that now their opinion is asked for.

This is nothing but a purely esoteric approach of "parallel universe" matching, that doesnt work in any way. Everyone that just participated, I hope your globuli havent expired just yet.

edit: Its always the user participation element of the poll that gets me...

And that no one will answer the question as follows: I will try and then fail, and then try - and then fail, and then try that someone else will do it for me, and then fail - and I'll try to be "first" all the way until I succeed. No - people pick their favorite sounding word out of a list of nonexistent options and then claim, that by hook or crook, they will stick to their decision, which of course they will not. As soon as you dangle the next shiny - they will try again.

And the scenes function at large is, to make "it" so easy, that everyone will succeed at the first try.

I also love the "I will wait until the warrenty has run out" approach, when you are literally changing nothing on or in your console at any point, that even would survive a boot. At least not with the jig into f-g into CFW approach - which most people currently are waiting for.

So you can look at those folks waiting. And waiting. And waiting. For no apparent reason. Of course if Nindendo had a way to proof, ... but our current understanding is, that they havent. And waiting.

Last edited by notimp,

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I have to admit that I haven't paid for anything that is digital since about 2003. I will wait to purchase a switch until it's hack/cfw is stable, and allows running pirated games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...