How to verify that Xbox/360/Xbox1 discs are 100% readable/healthy ?

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been collecting some retro games for original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox one.

Some of the discs have some minor scratches. I want to make sure they are all in a 100% working condition and 100% readable/healthy. So I could play the games off the discs directly or by installing them to the internal 360/Xbox1 HDD.

Someone suggested that I should dump the discs and then compare their md5sums to the md5sums at redump.org...but to dump the discs I am going to need a special drive with a custom (Kreon) firmware. I should possibly also buy a SATA/IDE to USB adapter too. Another(cheaper) solution is to just buy a cheap 360 console and install the games to an external USB flash drive and then convert them to .ISOs on a PC with the God2ISO app.

My question is, is there an easier way to check if the discs are 100% readable/healthy ?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been collecting some retro games for original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox one.

Some of the discs have some minor scratches. I want to make sure they are all in a 100% working condition and 100% readable/healthy. So I could play the games off the discs directly or by installing them to the internal 360/Xbox1 HDD.

Someone suggested that I should dump the discs and then compare their md5sums to the md5sums at redump.org...but to dump the discs I am going to need a special drive with a custom (Kreon) firmware. I should possibly also buy a SATA/IDE to USB adapter too. Another(cheaper) solution is to just buy a cheap 360 console and install the games to an external USB flash drive and then convert them to .ISOs on a PC with the God2ISO app.

My question is, is there an easier way to check if the discs are 100% readable/healthy ?
Checksums like md5sums will always be the best way to do 100% accurate comparisons. It is your choice if you want to go through thye process of making backups of all the discs. I know I personally do, but thats for archival purposes first and foremost.

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Checksums like md5sums will always be the best way to do 100% accurate comparisons. It is your choice if you want to go through thye process of making backups of all the discs. I know I personally do, but thats for archival purposes first and foremost.

Any other way to check if the disc is fine ? what do you think of DVDisaster and VSO Inspector ?

Menacer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It depends if you are fine with intact game data or care about the padding data, too.
To check the padding data, you need to do a full disc dump with a special drive.
If you just want to check game data, you could copy the game on a hacked x360 to HDD. If there are no errors, your disc is fine.
It's not like different data will be read when there are scratches. Either error correction will take care of it, and if not, there will be a disc read error.

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It depends if you are fine with intact game data or care about the padding data, too.
To check the padding data, you need to do a full disc dump with a special drive.
If you just want to check game data, you could copy the game on a hacked x360 to HDD. If there are no errors, your disc is fine.
It's not like different data will be read when there are scratches. Either error correction will take care of it, and if not, there will be a disc read error.

What are game data and padding data ?

MrQQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Best bet is to buy a liteon drive from an old phat 360 and flash it with ixtreme 0800 firmware. that will allow you to connect it via usb or sata and dump games that way using xbox backup creator. You can then use ABGX to verify the dumped games. This is the way I have been doing it for years. You don't need a special drive. Best drive is a phat 360 drive that has a laser in good condition if possible. Sadly there was no 0800 firmware for slim drives. You could also use kreon but 0800 firmware was designed to get around this requirement.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install the game to the internal HDD, you don't need a hacked 360 to do this. If the game installs successfully then the data is fine.

Reactions: flo

MrQQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Normal drives can only read the video partition and can't access the game partition.
You can via the hotswap method and wxripper but that involves opening the drive and requires a dual layer dvd movie. However you are correct in that it only accesses the wave partition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto