How to transfer saves of Wii N64 VC to Loadiine??

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by geheim, Jul 23, 2016.

1. geheim
    OP

geheim GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany
    Hi,
    is there a way to transfer the saves of my N64 VC games on my old Wii to Loadiine, e.g. for Mario Kart 64 or Super Mario 64??
    I already extracted the saves of my Wii VC games using ShowMiiWad, but I don't get a .sav file then.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Alex4U

Alex4U edgy

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    with Snivy, Mystery Zone (Adress 0x00)
    You cant...

3. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Not possible. Sorry

4. geheim
    OP

geheim GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany
    I see, that's too bad then... Thanks for your answers anyway!

5. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    I'm not sure why people are saying this can't be done because it absolutely can. There are a few steps to the process but it works.

I might put together a quick tutorial but I have successfully extracted my Ocarina of Time saves a while back and used them in Project 64, so I know it can be done with other N64 games.

From memory I used Savegame Manager GX to extract the saves, and I *think* the save is called savegame.bin. I seem to remember something about byteswapping but can't remember if I actually had to do that or not.

Once you have the raw save file you just replace the save file in the loadiine save folder. Make sure to remove any save states before hand ( the files ending rs1, rs2 etc).

For Mario 64 for example you just rename the save file to be Unsme0.005.sav, and it goes in SD:/wiiu/saves/VC Super Mario 64 [NABE01]/u/

I haven't extracted my original Wii save myself, but tested with a 120 star save I got online and works fine :)

geheim, KiiWii and Intronaut like this.
  6. Alex4U

Alex4U edgy

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    Really you can? You don't need use any Hex Editor??? ._.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it all depends how the game is managing the savegame.
    If the Wii is adding information to the savegame file, or only the game is writing to the file.
    And same for the WiiU, it depends if the VC layer is adding information into the savegame file or not.

For every games you want to know if it's compatible or not, that's just common sense to do :
    1. make a save on both console with the same game
    2. extract both saves
    3. compare the folder's content

The third step is the most important one, the step where you NEED some neurons and interpret what you see.
    If both console use the same filename ! Success !
    if both console use different filename, but same file count : Maybe they are the same file but with different filename ? success ! just rename it and try
    if both console use different filename, but not the same file count : maybe one console use additional files (savestate, multi-save slot, text list, database, etc.), there is necessarily the game's savegame data somewhere into that file ! one of them maybe has the same filename, one of them many has the same filesize ! etc.
    all you need is some common senses and some interpretation capacity.

If you have the same filename, and after trying it on the other console it still doesn't work : maybe the format is different ! or maybe there's a console information (header?) in the savegame file.
    Open the files in a hex editor and compare them. only here you need an hex editor, at the final step, after everything else failed.

geheim and Alex4U like this.
  8. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002

Meant to post this earlier

9. Alex4U

Alex4U edgy

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    Wow...

10. geheim
    OP

geheim GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks so much @bootmonster !!
    It worked like you described. Byteswapping was not necessary. But deleting the save states is essential.
    I managed to transfer my Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 saves, and even my Pokemon Snap save worked like a charm, even though it was from the german Wii VC to US Wii U VC.
    So, thanks again, time to sell my old wii now, I guess ;)