Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

Mackk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently bought a PSP 3000 with 6.20 OFW on it, I plan on playing psp games, some homebrew and emulators on it. Does upgrading to 6.60 OFW so I can run 6.60 CFW and go without the permanent CFW offer any advantages (or is CFW like it is on the 3DS running it in "emunand" and running a later CFW than the OFW on the handheld)? If I go with permanent 6.20 CFW for now is it easy enough to upgrade to 6.60 CFW?

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I just bought a PSP 2000 (second hand) that has 6.60 on it. There is absolutely no way of telling if, when it's ever had 6.20 on it. Is it safe to flash it with 6.60 PRO permanently?

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I have to upgrade my 6.37 console to 6.60 and then downgrade it to 6.20 to get the most here? I picked up a psp1000 model for 20 bucks and it's been sitting here collecting dust.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I have to upgrade my 6.37 console to 6.60 and then downgrade it to 6.20 to get the most here? I picked up a psp1000 model for 20 bucks and it's been sitting here collecting dust.
Just update to 6.61 and install ME or Pro on it. You can get the latest version of those on the Wololo forums. If you want iR Shell, you'll have to go for 5.00M33-6 instead, but there's very little reason to use it anymore.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just update to 6.61 and install ME or Pro on it. You can get the latest version of those on the Wololo forums. If you want iR Shell, you'll have to go for 5.00M33-6 instead, but there's very little reason to use it anymore.
IRShell works on 6.60 pro c2 on a fat psp but some features might not work, haven't tried all of it's features myself. Main reason to use it i figured was for the tv remote feature.

Also wasn't the only reason to update to 6.61 was for the psp psn store? If so then that will be closing down soon.

Last edited by cvskid,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IRShell works on 6.60 pro c2 on a fat psp but some features might not work, haven't tried all of it's features myself. Main reason to use it i figured was for the tv remote feature.

Also wasn't the only reason to update to 6.61 was for the psp psn store? If so then that will be closing down soon.
Without the firmware patch, iR Shell is pretty worthless beyond a fancy TV remote. There hasn't been a proper patch since firmware 5.00. There have been some unofficial patches, but they tend to be a bit unreliable. I thought 6.61 also fixed an issue with a particular game. Either way, it doesn't really matter. On a Phat, you're free to pick the firmware you want and its respective CFW.

Reactions: cvskid

paper183

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think there should be a mention in the guide that going to original firmware 5.00 on a phat system can mess you up if you have a patched 0x0005 key because you cannot update to 6.60 or any other official firmware either, so no 5.03. Only way to recover from this is with a pandora battery to be able to run the keycleaner.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Without the firmware patch, iR Shell is pretty worthless beyond a fancy TV remote. There hasn't been a proper patch since firmware 5.00. There have been some unofficial patches, but they tend to be a bit unreliable. I thought 6.61 also fixed an issue with a particular game. Either way, it doesn't really matter. On a Phat, you're free to pick the firmware you want and its respective CFW.
If you're looking for something akin to IRShell that actually works on contemporary firmware, give Xplora 2 a try - great file explorer with a complete set of utilities.

powelwojtasik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi guys,
I'm totally new to this forum and I have a question. Recently I bought PSP 3004 with CFW 6.35 PRO B4 installed and I would like to update it to 6.60 OFW and install CFW 6.60 PRO-C fix 3. The problem is there was no PROUPDATE on the console so I can't uninstall the 6.35 CFW like I should. So the question is, can I download any CFW 6.35 PRO B4 and use the PROUPDATE from it to uninstall the CFW that is currently installed or can it cause some problems? Or maybe I can use any version of PROUPDATE to uninstall the 6.35 CFW?
I've read that 6.60 is the way to go cause it's the most stable and has no probs with most of apps so please help :)

Nyap

HTML Noob
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
hey I have a PSP 3004 with 6.39 - I currently have something called "pro-cfw" installed on it, have no idea what I'm doing and have a couple of questions
a) what's the least risky way of downgrading to 6.2
b) how do I install a cfw on boot
c) why does it ask me to enter the date and time every time I reboot the psp?

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
hey I have a PSP 3004 with 6.39 - I currently have something called "pro-cfw" installed on it, have no idea what I'm doing and have a couple of questions
a) what's the least risky way of downgrading to 6.2
b) how do I install a cfw on boot
c) why does it ask me to enter the date and time every time I reboot the psp?
Just install the Infinity Permanent CFW, it's a little long, but it's worth it in the end

Nyap

HTML Noob
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Just install the Infinity Permanent CFW, it's a little long, but it's worth it in the end
I have no idea what I'm doing D:
do I need to uninstall the current cfw? will doing a factory reset delete cfw and bring it back to like it was at the factory, therefore letting me start fresh? can I update once I've installed cfw on boot, or will that break it?
plz help D:

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I have no idea what I'm doing D:
do I need to uninstall the current cfw? will doing a factory reset delete cfw and bring it back to like it was at the factory, therefore letting me start fresh? can I update once I've installed cfw on boot, or will that break it?
plz help D:
You don't have it installed Permanently right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...