Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I know is that I have a phat 1004.
Ok, just update to 6.60 (the latest and last official firmware for it) and take your pick of CFW. I'll link the latest versions and explain the differences beyond aesthetics.

ME: It's full CFW, so if you want to muck with the NAND, it's a bit easier, though I still wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing. Also, it has LEDA support, so if you want to run older homebrew (more specifically homebrew that was written for the 1.50 kernel) you can install the LEDA plugin and run it.

Pro: It's LCFW, it's not really designed for mucking about in the NAND that much, but for the standard user it's completely fine. It also has a cIPL Flasher that you can install so you don't have to worry about booting it after you turn on your PSP (Makes it act like ME in that aspect. ME doesn't need it since it's full CFW). It also has a adhoc to online capabilities for adhoc multiplayer games, but it's touchy, unstable, and not many people use it anymore.

I prefer ME myself, but they're both good solid options with the minor difference of LEDA vs Online Ad Hoc. Both ZIPs should come with a readme and instructions for installing the CFW. If you need help beyond that, there's plenty of guides floating around, consult Google. If you still need help, don't be afraid to ask.

ExKoder

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So.... I dropped my psp some time back... And thanks to that my wifi doesn't work on it. Is there a way to update it without use off wifi on my psp?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.... I dropped my psp some time back... And thanks to that my wifi doesn't work on it. Is there a way to update it without use off wifi on my psp?
Just download the latest version from the Sony website, copy the Eboot to /PSP/GAME/UPDATE on the memory stick (make sure it's all capitalized), then run the update from the Game memory stick menu.

eyezeah

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys I recently won a used psp that has

System Software: 5.50 prome-4 (had to google what that was)

and recently was given a memory stick with "660 pro-b fast recovery" on it

I'm not quite sure how to proceed as far as hacking goes since most guides say to upgrade to 6.60 official first, but the card already has cfw on it (to my surprise)

I don't want to brick this thing, what do I do first?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I recently won a used psp that has

System Software: 5.50 prome-4 (had to google what that was)

and recently was given a memory stick with "660 pro-b fast recovery" on it

I'm not quite sure how to proceed as far as hacking goes since most guides say to upgrade to 6.60 official first, but the card already has cfw on it (to my surprise)

I don't want to brick this thing, what do I do first?

If you intend to play PSP games, update to 6.60 then install Pro CFW or ME/LME CFW. If you only want it for homebrew, might as well just leave it as is.

Reactions: eyezeah

Gankutsuou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 1001 at a yard sale to play all the PSN plus games. My wife and I both have accounts on our PS3 and she has a couple of different PSP games from the welcome back debacle. I softmodded the system to 6.6 pro per the instructions in the first post. I thought I would be able to play all the games without having to deactivate/activate an account when I want to play the respective games but I keep getting an error when I play the games with the account that's not currently activated.

Is there any way to play these games without having to activate/deactivate each time?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 1001 at a yard sale to play all the PSN plus games. My wife and I both have accounts on our PS3 and she has a couple of different PSP games from the welcome back debacle. I softmodded the system to 6.6 pro per the instructions in the first post. I thought I would be able to play all the games without having to deactivate/activate an account when I want to play the respective games but I keep getting an error when I play the games with the account that's not currently activated.

Is there any way to play these games without having to activate/deactivate each time?

Those games would be licensed to whatever account they came from, so trying to play them on another account wouldn't work.

There are a couple ways to get around it, IIRC you could use NPDecrypter to make them playable on any account, or you could just "acquire" the games elsewhere.

Gankutsuou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those games would be licensed to whatever account they came from, so trying to play them on another account wouldn't work.

There are a couple ways to get around it, IIRC you could use NPDecrypter to make them playable on any account, or you could just "acquire" the games elsewhere.

Ah, thanks for the reply. I'll check out NPDecrypter and if that doesn't work then I'll try your other method :)

vanzan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I picked up a PSP 3003 with 6.31. I tried modding it without resorting to asking irritating questions. However it took me an age to connect it to the internet (oddly I had to manually set the IP address before it would work). Then I attempted to connect by USB for about twenty minutes until I tried a different cable that worked when the first one wouldn't. At this point I'm feeling murderous.

Anyway can I downgrade to 6.20 and be able to install the permanent hack as stated in the first post of this tutorial? Or do I even need to these days? By the way the 6.31 update was on the Pro Duo card that was in it....so it was obviously something older at some point if that helps! There's so much conflicting and out of date information out there.....

Thanks for any help guys.....I need to go de-stress....

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up a PSP 3003 with 6.31. I tried modding it without resorting to asking irritating questions. However it took me an age to connect it to the internet (oddly I had to manually set the IP address before it would work). Then I attempted to connect by USB for about twenty minutes until I tried a different cable that worked when the first one wouldn't. At this point I'm feeling murderous.

Anyway can I downgrade to 6.20 and be able to install the permanent hack as stated in the first post of this tutorial? Or do I even need to these days? By the way the 6.31 update was on the Pro Duo card that was in it....so it was obviously something older at some point if that helps! There's so much conflicting and out of date information out there.....

Thanks for any help guys.....I need to go de-stress....
There's a chart that you can look up that shows if your particular 3000 can be downgraded or not. If not, I'd just recommend updating to 6.60. You can find the latest version of LME for your respective firmware here. The current version of LME/ME boasts the same features as Pro (save the high memory mode for ad hoc to online multiplayer) and more.

Reactions: vanzan

vanzan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I updated to 6.60 and grabbed LME 2.2. Wow modding is easy isn't it??? :D , thanks mate!!! Not quite sure how to go about installing/getting homebrew but I'll get stuck in tomorrow.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I updated to 6.60 and grabbed LME 2.2. Wow modding is easy isn't it??? :D , thanks mate!!! Not quite sure how to go about installing/getting homebrew but I'll get stuck in tomorrow.
It's rather simple. The core of all homebrew is an EBOOT.PBP file. When copying it on your Memory Stick, it belongs in a subfolder of its own in the folder /PSP/GAME/ (there's also GAME150, but that's for legacy homebrew and only with the LEDA plugin). Any files associated with the homebrew should be in the subfolder with the EBOOT.PBP.

Also, the PSP is an exception, and only after Sony moved on to another platform. It's generally not that easy to run homebrew on a system without some sort of hardware modification.

Reactions: vanzan

vanzan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This thing is fantastic!! :) Just tried out PicoDrive and SOR2 plays great. I'm going to have some fun with this. I've already ordered a MicroSD to Memory Pro Duo adapter.....gonna need at least 32gb.

Mumpfel

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So let me get this straight: I've got a friends ancient slim n light 2004 Date Code 8B and the System Software 4.05. If I understood the first page correct then all I have to do is download 6.20 and install it from the memory stick manually and then follow the hack instructions and I'm done? Isos playable and everything? I'm just a lil sceptical because when I softmodded my first psp many years ago it seemed so much harder and I was so afraid I would brick it(which luckily didn't happen) it's running smooth on 5.-something prometheus(I don't know the exact version because I don't it also was a friends one and he got it back)... Making it crash and restart with that eggpicture took half of the night alone luls. Also last question: Can I just run update 6.20 from 4.05 or do I have to update one by one?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight: I've got a friends ancient slim n light 2004 Date Code 8B and the System Software 4.05. If I understood the first page correct then all I have to do is download 6.20 and install it from the memory stick manually and then follow the hack instructions and I'm done? Isos playable and everything? I'm just a lil sceptical because when I softmodded my first psp many years ago it seemed so much harder and I was so afraid I would brick it(which luckily didn't happen) it's running smooth on 5.-something prometheus(I don't know the exact version because I don't it also was a friends one and he got it back)... Making it crash and restart with that eggpicture took half of the night alone luls. Also last question: Can I just run update 6.20 from 4.05 or do I have to update one by one?
It's that simple now. As a console gets older, people figure out more about it and the homebrew for it progresses.

Mumpfel

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Alright then, I've just ordered a micro sd + one of dem adapters for psp(cause they're so much cheaper than the actualy sony cards), they're supposed to arrive at friday according to amazon, I'll get right to it then.

rac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm going to pick up a 3000 soon, probably newest i can find and i should be able to run temporary (4 second load on boot) cfw on it right? i keep seeing people talk about different 3000 mobos and some work and some don't but i can't find a proper chart/list.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm going to pick up a 3000 soon, probably newest i can find and i should be able to run temporary (4 second load on boot) cfw on it right? i keep seeing people talk about different 3000 mobos and some work and some don't but i can't find a proper chart/list.
3000s can't run "permanent" CFW past 6.20, but they can still load into CFW through an Eboot that you have to manually start. It just mildly annoying. You could simply put your 3000 to sleep instead so you don't have to worry about it. 3000s are great if you just want to play backups, emulators, and maybe some miscellaneous homebrew. If you want more than that, you'd probably have to look into an early 2000 or any 1000.

Reactions: rac

rac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3000s can't run "permanent" CFW past 6.20, but they can still load into CFW through an Eboot that you have to manually start. It just mildly annoying. You could simply put your 3000 to sleep instead so you don't have to worry about it. 3000s are great if you just want to play backups, emulators, and maybe some miscellaneous homebrew. If you want more than that, you'd probably have to look into an early 2000 or any 1000.
oh okay. thanks for the response! i am ok with the mildly annoying file on boot if it means i can run the latest firmware. but what "more" is there i wonder? i did just want to play backups and maybe some emulator and movie files but now i'm thinking i should dig deeper to see what else a psp can do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1