Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh okay. thanks for the response! i am ok with the mildly annoying file on boot if it means i can run the latest firmware. but what "more" is there i wonder? i did just want to play backups and maybe some emulator and movie files but now i'm thinking i should dig deeper to see what else a psp can do.
Mucking about with the NAND for one. Anymore, that's not much of a big deal as the homebrew that needs NAND modifications kind of died out after DAX left. I had a shell which allowed me to stream PSP game backups from my PC over wifi (and even over the internet, with extreme lag), run two different applications at once, and even play Ad Hoc multiplayer PS1 games (though that was extremely buggy). After DAX, Ahman, and most of those developers left, CFW became more like just an advanced permanent HEN.

Reactions: rac

rac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a shell which allowed me to stream PSP game backups from my PC over wifi.
now that sounds pretty damn cool. but i still tihnk 3000 series with 6.6 or maybe 6/2 is best for some like me. thanks for the input friend greatly appreciated.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mucking about with the NAND for one. Anymore, that's not much of a big deal as the homebrew that needs NAND modifications kind of died out after DAX left. I had a shell which allowed me to stream PSP game backups from my PC over wifi (and even over the internet, with extreme lag), run two different applications at once, and even play Ad Hoc multiplayer PS1 games (though that was extremely buggy). After DAX, Ahman, and most of those developers left, CFW became more like just an advanced permanent HEN.
Damn, that sounds amazing. Heck, I would have also wanted to see a way to stream YouTube on the thing, at least. I know Netflix is unlikely because of DRM but YouTube could be doable.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, that sounds amazing. Heck, I would have also wanted to see a way to stream YouTube on the thing, at least. I know Netflix is unlikely because of DRM but YouTube could be doable.
Best bet is GoTube. It's been a while since I've used it, but I know users would release scripts for it so it can still work with YouTube, just have to do some digging around on the issues list. Even if someone hasn't, it's just a basic javascript file in the GoTube's directory. If you don't mind watching videos in black and white, go for it. It's built on the old FFmpeg SofyaCat made, so it does have some problems, but it's about the best you're going to get, unless you really want to code a new FFmpeg core.

You could also use PSPdisp (I think that's the name of it if memory serves) to just stream your desktop to your PSP, even works over the internet. You could watch YouTube through that, though you'll need a low latency home connection with a decent upload speed if you want to use it over the internet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
oh okay. thanks for the response! i am ok with the mildly annoying file on boot if it means i can run the latest firmware. but what "more" is there i wonder? i did just want to play backups and maybe some emulator and movie files but now i'm thinking i should dig deeper to see what else a psp can do.
You can always downgrade to 6.20 via Chrono Switch if Fast Recovery will annoy you, all you'll lose is access to Music Unlimited which you probably wouldn't use in the first place anyways (provided it still works, I don't think PSP is still supported on PSN/SEN).

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Theres been some changes since the OP was last updated, and I just wondered if the the PSP Street E1000 can now have a permanent CFW?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres been some changes since the OP was last updated, and I just wondered if the the PSP Street E1000 can now have a permanent CFW?

No, if I remember correctly forcing it down to 6.20 causes problems, so you're stuck with 6.60 CFWs that require a manual boot after being fully shutdown. No new workarounds have been found, and I doubt there will be any as it's just a minor inconvenience and a lot of developers have moved on to newer devices.

There have been some people working on reverse engineering the PSP's firmware to create their own unofficial firmware, but not much news has come out of them in a while and we don't know what it will be capable of if/when it does come out.

Un4tural

Trophies
XP
Country
Just thought i'd say thanks for the guide, and to appreciate how amazingly easy it is to put cfw on my psp now, no pandora battery magic stick etc. my mind is blown after dusting off my psp after a long time.

Thanks!!!

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't updated my PSP for years so I'm on Firmware 6.35 PRO-B5. I'm happy with lightcfw especially the PRO ones. If I update to 6.60, which PRO version is the best and most stable? In the Procfw download list site, the top two downloads are 6.60 PRO-C2 and 6.60 PRO-B10.fix1. I want to make sure all my seplugins work and all PSX games even the ones I purchased from the PSN work with nodrm. I also have tempar, cwcheat, mp3lite, cxmb, and a few others.

I don't know if I should update since I have everything I need on 6.35 PRO-B5 but I plan on getting Parasite Eve The 3rd Birthday on UMD since it's around 10 bucks on Amazon and I think it requires the firmware to be above 6.35.

Atlas_Noire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't updated my PSP for years so I'm on Firmware 6.35 PRO-B5. I'm happy with lightcfw especially the PRO ones. If I update to 6.60, which PRO version is the best and most stable? In the Procfw download list site, the top two downloads are 6.60 PRO-C2 and 6.60 PRO-B10.fix1. I want to make sure all my seplugins work and all PSX games even the ones I purchased from the PSN work with nodrm. I also have tempar, cwcheat, mp3lite, cxmb, and a few others.

I don't know if I should update since I have everything I need on 6.35 PRO-B5 but I plan on getting Parasite Eve The 3rd Birthday on UMD since it's around 10 bucks on Amazon and I think it requires the firmware to be above 6.35.

6.60 PRO-C fix3 would probably be the most stable release if you ask me since PRO-C2 has a bug which it may not read PSN-PSX games. As far as seplugins go, the only plugin I know that is firmware specific is cxmb. Some other plugins like tempar and cwcheat work regardless of your firmware.

Reactions: Margen67 and Regene

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
6.60 PRO-C fix3 would probably be the most stable release if you ask me since PRO-C2 has a bug which it may not read PSN-PSX games. As far as seplugins go, the only plugin I know that is firmware specific is cxmb. Some other plugins like tempar and cwcheat work regardless of your firmware.

Thanks for replying. I downloaded 660PRO-C.fix3 but didn't use it yet. The whole specific cxmb for 6.60 is kind of a deal breaker for me since I have many themes that works on 6.35 especially the CTF ones so I don't know. I also don't want to lose the playability of PSX-PSN purchases even when the PSP is deactivated from my account although it seems it's fixed for 6.60 PRO-C fix3.

M1rc3a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hey, I got PRO CFW on my PSP (it is PSP-2004). Everything worked fine, but when I got a game in iso form I converted it into cso, put it into the ISO folder on my pc, but if I enter the game on my PSP i get a black screen and nothing works, I have to get the battery off and put it back on. Is there any help I can get to make the games work?

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have the 6.20 PRO-C2 CFW on my PSP 2000. What would be the best course of action to hack it to the latest CFW ? Do I need to uninstall everything, update to 6.60 OFW, then apply a 6.60 CFW patch again, or would installing the 6.60 CFW directly work just as well ?

BadAnimal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just bought a used PSP 2001. I've never had one before.

The system software is currently at Version 4.05.

I haven't read too much and I haven't gone through all 56 pages of this thread, sorry.

Should I do the Network Update (6.61?) or should I install some update from this thread (if available)?

Thank you!!!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My psp said: 5.50gen d3
What should i do..i havent done this in a while?
To avoid any unpleasantries I'd revert to OFW, update and then softmod according to the guide. I'm not sure what the uninstallation procedure is for GEN, but if you can run a flasher like Hellcat's, you can install vanilla 5.0 very easily.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My psp said: 5.50gen d3
What should i do..i havent done this in a while?
You should be able to update to 6.60/6.61 (6.20 if you want a Perm CFW on a Brite), but, if I remember corectly, you need to go into your NAND (Flash 1 to be specific) and change the version.txt. You need to clear it and paste this into it:
Code:
release:5.50:
build:3062,0,3,1,0:builder@vsh-build6
system:50781@release_550,0x05050010:
vsh:p6399@release_550,v50953@release_550,20090415:
target:1:WorldWide
Either that or you can create a version.txt in your seplugins folder, paste the text into it, and enable it in your CFW settings.
Then run the OFW installer for whatever firmware you want. Now you can install Pro or (L)ME. I recommend (L)ME myself. The installers are signed, so you don't need anything else to run them.

Last edited by TecXero,
Reactions: Metoroid0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over