How to prevent my DS from rotting?

sushi12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I recently opened up my DSi internally. It was really dirty inside with screws and metals getting rusty, cables looked like they got chewed up and there is some slimly substance around which I couldn’t figure out. I gave what I could to clean it up and just wondering if in future will this situation happen on my other ds? Where should I store my electronics(NDSL/3DSXL/2DSXL) so that it’d be working perfectly fine even after few years?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I recently opened up my DSi internally. It was really dirty inside with screws and metals getting rusty, cables looked like they got chewed up and there is some slimly substance around which I couldn’t figure out. I gave what I could to clean it up and just wondering if in future will this situation happen on my other ds? Where should I store my electronics(NDSL/3DSXL/2DSXL) so that it’d be working perfectly fine even after few years?
It happens with humidity. A way to prevent this is by actually saving these items in a cold, clean, dark and dry container, box, furniture, whatever.
Alternatively you could use a humidity/temperature regulator.

That slime you saw inside was a combination of copper and cheap plastic.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I highly recommend tossing a silica gel "moisture packet" into whatever drawer or bag you keep your electronics in. It will help keep them from rusting, plastic from getting brittle from moisture, etc. I store my 3D printer filament spools inside an air-tight 13 gallon storage tub with a handful of moisture packets at the bottom. (It's also good to bake them in the oven at it's lowest setting for about an hour every 6 months or so to "refresh" them by drawing the moisture out of them.)

I toss moisture packets in with my toolboxes too, to keep my tools from getting rusty, and so far it works great.

Last edited by Jayro,

ragnarok_approaches123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is what happens when you live in humid climates. Store your electronics in a container with a moisture absorber as advised above. You'll probably need to replace the moisture absorbers from time to time unless you use an airtight container.

sushi12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
You guys are spot on. I live in a very hot humid country all year round without 4 seasons..will do the steps you guys recommended. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste