Status
Not open for further replies.

How to play your GameCube games from SD or USB using DIOS-MIOS (Lite)

Clarification:
DML ONLY works from SD Card/SDHC Card, nothing else, no USB. There won't be a USB version someday.
So Yeah, this "Clarification" is incorrect, crediar was able to do it :D

What you'll need:
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM SD
  • The Latest DIOS-MIOS (Lite) package from here (older versions here).
  • DML WAD Creator (for older versions)
  • IF YOU WANT TO PLAY FROM USB
  • FOR DML and DIOS-MIOS
  • GameCube ISO Compress, fstfix, DiscEX or GCReEX (your choice, read below first and decide what you want to use)
  • A WAD Manager (for example WAD Manager 1.7)
  • A SD Card or a USB Device (D'OH!)
  • Gamecube Controller and Memory Card
How to:
  1. If you have downloaded the newer version go to step 6, if you picked the older ones follow this.
  2. Extract the DML package in a folder with the same name as the package (for example DMLr13 for DMLr13.zip). If there is just a iosmodule.elf of the latest DML available then copy it into a new DML folder and rename it to DML.elf.
  3. If you already have a RVL-mios-v10.wad, copy it into the DML folder. Then the creator don't need to download the file.
  4. Extract the DML WAD Creator into the DML folder. Then run the "create_wad.bat" and type "DML" to create the DML wad, if you don't have the RVL-mios-v10.wad it will be downloaded.
  5. If the DML WAD Creator asks you which version you want to build type it in like '13' for DMLr13.
  6. Now let's convert some gamecube games! If you downloaded the new DML versions or DIOS-MIOS just start reading here.
  7. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
  8. If you want to use DiscEX and downloaded the older DML versions, the DiscEX files needs to be in the same folder as the DML WAD creator. Just open the WAD Creator, type "C" to enter the convert menu, drag and drop the game into it and say if you want to compress it or not. If you use the newer DML versions or DIOS-MIOS, open up a command prompt and enter "DiscEX -c gamename.iso" if you want compression, replace "gamename" with the name of your iso file. If you dont want compression just drag and drop the iso file into the DiscEX.exe. Mostly compression will work fine, some games need to stay uncompressed, see here.
  9. You can also use Gamecube ISO Compressor for the job, easiest way is there to just drag and drop your ISO file into the Compressor exe file. You can also just double click the exe file to see which options you can also use to compress the ISO files, they are more modes in it.
  10. If you have downloaded the new DML versions, you can also use GCReEx, there you can use "GCReEx.exe -x game.iso", this will create no new ISO file but a folder which contains the extracted files, this way saves most space on the sd card.
  11. There is also the possiblity to use fstfix instead to compress the games, use it like "fstfix game.iso" or "fstfix game.iso t" and drag and drop the resulting new iso in DiscEX. DiscEX will may stop at a certain percentage to copy the game, it will may also say the game is underdumped/overdumped. Both things come because the image haven't got the orignal size anymore, so you can ignore these messages.
  12. After using one of the above ways to convert your games, copy the newly created folder of the tool to sd:/games if you want to play from SD and to usb:/games if you want to play from USB.
On your Wii:
  1. Install the DML/DIOS-MIOS WAD with a WAD Manager, this will overwrite the current MIOS/cMIOS. Retail gamecube discs will still work since DMLr19. If you had a cMIOS installed before to play disc backups it wont be possible anymore until you re-install the cMIOS which will overwrite DML.
  2. You can play the games either with DIOS-MIOS Booter, NeoGamma, postLoader4, Wiiflow, USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader. Make sure you have a disc inserted, otherwise your Wii will simply reset if you try to play a game.
  3. The easiest one is DIOS-MIOS Booter, it works with all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions, just start it, select the game you want, set new options with the B button if you want, and launch the game.
  4. To boot games using Wiiflow switch the coverflow mode to the gameube coverflow mode by pressing the icon down-right near the home icon a few times until you see the games. You can also download covers for them in the settings, it's the gear icon down-left. Wiiflow also supports all DML and DIOS-MIOS versions with all options.
  5. To boot games using postLoader just press home to enter the menu, select "Switch to Game mode". In game mode just press up on the wiimote to enter the DML menu or press home, select "Game options" and then "Show DML menu". Then select the game you want to play.
  6. For USB Loader GX you just need to go to the display icon and select display gamecube games too, then you can set options in the menu and play them.
  7. In Configurable USB Loader they are just displayed together with the other wii games, there you can also set the options and launch them.
  8. The other ways described now are currently not optimized for the new DML versions, doesnt work with DIOS-MIOS and my not work properly.
  9. To boot games using NeoGamma go down to "Load Games from: " and select "Load GC Games via DML". Then go up and press A to search games. Select the game you want to play and press A to start it. NeoGamma doesnt have options to set for DML because its made for old DML versions.
  10. If you want to remove DML/DIOS-MIOS again either reinstall a cMIOS or the RVL-mios-v10.wad. If DML doesn't work for you make sure you have a clean BC, to get it run the "create_wad.bat" in the DML wad creator package again and type "BC". Then just install the RVL-BC-v6.wad on your wii and try it again.
Recommendations:
  • Format your SD Card to FAT16/FAT32 with 64KB cluster size to increase game speed
  • If you want to use DIOS-MIOS format it to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size, also make the FAT32 the first one, primary and active
  • If you want to use DML r21 I suggest the debug version since the regular version got small problems. Delete the DML.elf, rename the DMLdebug.elf to DML.elf and then create a new wad with it.
  • If you have a problem you can try to rename/delete the "saves" folder on your sd card to everything you want, that can may fix it.
  • Crediar created a small FAQ here that might help you as well with some general questions.
If you want to know game compatility check out the compatility list here:
http://wiki.gbatemp....patibility_List
http://crediar.no-ip.com/gc/
Don't forget to add the games you play to the list if they are missing ;)

That's it! If you have questions just ask here. Have fun playing your gamecube games from SD! :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
isnt the easeus software free? also, how would it be hard work? iv never partitioned a drive so i just assumed it would be easy....lol
Actually, I just thought of a good point, DM needs it to be the first partition. Even if you resize the NTFS partition and put the FAT32 one before it, it will still be the first partition and the FAT32 one will be the SECOND unless Easus allows you to also change the order of the partition entries on the partition table.

What you would ACTUALLY have to do if it can't change the order (and this is where it gets to be a lot of work) is the following:
1. resize
2. create backup partition (second partition).
3. move everything to backup partition.
4. format first partition FAT32.

Optionally
5. move everything back to the first partition.
6. delete the backup partition
7. re-size the first one again to fill the whole drive.

but if you have enough space on your computer to back them all up and just format it would be the next best thing to being able to convert directly.

i dont think the demo will have the functionality :(
They don't actually make a new, updated version anymore. I was hoping this would be a free full version because was discontinued. The page doesn't say anything about demos but I wouldn't be able to find out without installing it and I don't have that permission on this computer. I'd have to go home first.

EDIT : nevermind. I see the "free to try" part now.

Drkchaos999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I found out the solution to my problem of the GC games not loading up from my Seagate FreeAgent Go 250GB HDD it wasn't the partitions that were giving me the problem it was the stock USB to Mini-USB cable that came with the drive, when i use a different cable it will load the games, but now I have a new problem of the Wii just shutting down 30 secs. after the game(s) is loaded.

So until there is a USB HDD compatibility update or I just spring for a new HDD i'm stuck playing my GC games off of a 8GB flash drive, oh well.

BTW, the HDD never gave me problems when running Wii backups just GC.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Well I found out the solution to my problem of the GC games not loading up from my Seagate FreeAgent Go 250GB HDD it wasn't the partitions that were giving me the problem it was the stock USB to Mini-USB cable that came with the drive, when i use a different cable it will load the games, but now I have a new problem of the Wii just shutting down 30 secs. after the game(s) is loaded.

So until there is a USB HDD compatibility update or I just spring for a new HDD i'm stuck playing my GC games off of a 8GB flash drive, oh well.

That's rather strange. Always 30 sec on the dot?

Drkchaos999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's rather strange. Always 30 sec on the dot?
Give or take 5 secs or so, but yeah.

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country
isnt the easeus software free? also, how would it be hard work? iv never partitioned a drive so i just assumed it would be easy....lol
Actually, I just thought of a good point, DM needs it to be the first partition. Even if you resize the NTFS partition and put the FAT32 one before it, it will still be the first partition and the FAT32 one will be the SECOND unless Easus allows you to also change the order of the partition entries on the partition table.

What you would ACTUALLY have to do if it can't change the order (and this is where it gets to be a lot of work) is the following:
1. resize
2. create backup partition (second partition).
3. move everything to backup partition.
4. format first partition FAT32.

Optionally
5. move everything back to the first partition.
6. delete the backup partition
7. re-size the first one again to fill the whole drive.

but if you have enough space on your computer to back them all up and just format it would be the next best thing to being able to convert directly.

i dont think the demo will have the functionality :(
They don't actually make a new, updated version anymore. I was hoping this would be a free full version because was discontinued. The page doesn't say anything about demos but I wouldn't be able to find out without installing it and I don't have that permission on this computer. I'd have to go home first.

EDIT : nevermind. I see the "free to try" part now.

im trying the easeus software on my 16gb usb drive now. its taking ages but it seems to be doing what i want. it gives me the choice of primary and logical!? would primary fat32 and logical ntfs work? it even allows both to be primary but i dont know what that would do! it also says windows will only locate the primary partition, does that mean id only be able to add to one section without using easeus to swap the primary?

***its done it! showed up with smaller patrition in windows with all the data still there. reopened easeus and swapped primary partition and windows then found the newly made section :) fingers crossed its that straight forward with my 1tb hdd though!***

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
im trying the easeus software on my 16gb usb drive now. its taking ages but it seems to be doing what i want. it gives me the choice of primary and logical!? would primary fat32 and logical ntfs work? it even allows both to be primary but i dont know what that would do! it also says windows will only locate the primary partition, does that mean id only be able to add to one section without using easeus to swap the primary?
Either way would work to some extent. I have two primary partitions on my hard drive but windows sees both of them just fine. I also know there are some homebrew apps that even though they can see multiple partitions they can't see logical ones either so maybe the two primary would be best.

The way partitioning works is there can be up to four primary partitions OR you can have one extended partition with up to three primary partitions. (four total either way.) INSIDE the extended partition you would put logical partitions and be able to have more than four that way.
At least that's the way it works with hard drives. Some things like USB thumb drives (flash drive, USB key, whatever you want to call them) they only have space for one partition. If that's the case with what you're using that might be what the message is about and you might be right but my hard drive, at least, is fine with two primary partitions.

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country
Either way would work to some extent. I have two primary partitions on my hard drive but windows sees both of them just fine. I also know there are some homebrew apps that even though they can see multiple partitions they can't see logical ones either so maybe the two primary would be best.

The way partitioning works is there can be up to four primary partitions OR you can have one extended partition with up to three primary partitions. (four total either way.) INSIDE the extended partition you would put logical partitions and be able to have more than four that way.
At least that's the way it works with hard drives. Some things like USB thumb drives (flash drive, USB key, whatever you want to call them) they only have space for one partition. If that's the case with what you're using that might be what the message is about and you might be right but my hard drive, at least, is fine with two primary partitions.

tryed making both partitions primary on my flash drive and windows only sees the fat32 partition...spose i'll have to wait and see what happens with my hdd...

Dartinho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is anyone else besides me having problems with Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokémon Colosseum? I'm using DML v1.5 and NTSC game isos. The problem is that it just stays stuck at GCLoader screen. "Loading apploader..." and that's it, stays there forever. Which is strange, because compatibility list says both games runs just fine. Already tried to download other game isos from different places but the problem persists. Also tried to run both games without compressing them, but the problem stays the same.

Am I the only one having those problems? Can somebody please help me? I have no idea what to do.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
tryed making both partitions primary on my flash drive and windows only sees the fat32 partition...spose i'll have to wait and see what happens with my hdd...
Even if the HDD worked the same way as the flash the point would be whether or not the wii would still see your partitions well.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Is anyone else besides me having problems with Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokémon Colosseum? I'm using DML v1.5 and NTSC game isos. The problem is that it just stays stuck at GCLoader screen. "Loading apploader..." and that's it, stays there forever. Which is strange, because compatibility list says both games runs just fine. Already tried to download other game isos from different places but the problem persists. Also tried to run both games without compressing them, but the problem stays the same.

Am I the only one having those problems? Can somebody please help me? I have no idea what to do.
if OTHER games work just fine, I don't know what to tell you but the "stuck on the loading apploader message" thing seems like what anyone who isn't using a compatible SD card gets (in that case, none of your GC games would work.). In that case I would say try going back to DML r59mod.

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country

the only time iv seen that is when i tryed loading from usb with the sd wad or vice versa...

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone explain how tog et this to work to me as if i was mentally unstable cause clearly i am if i couldnt get it work with the easy instructions in the OP. Basically, i done this:

*installed DIOSMIOS2.0.wad

* Converted ISO using GC Iso Compressor

* Placed it in games folder in a FAT32 formatted USB, on the USB 0 port

Tried it with USBLOaderGX and DM Loader. none of them recognised the ISO.

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You placed the newly created folder of the compressor into the "games" folder? Or just the iso? ;)

Dartinho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

if OTHER games work just fine, I don't know what to tell you but the "stuck on the loading apploader message" thing seems like what anyone who isn't using a compatible SD card gets (in that case, none of your GC games would work.). In that case I would say try going back to DML r59mod.

Thanks for answering. My other games are running just fine. I've already played more than 20 games and the only ones that I can't play are Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokémon Colosseum. And I've played all other games on the same SD card. Already tried to format it, too.

the only time iv seen that is when i tryed loading from usb with the sd wad or vice versa...

Yeah, but as I said above, I'm using SD card and all other games run perfectly. :S

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country
well i got it working on a partitioned hdd. i used easeUS to split my ntfs and create fat32 for my gc games without loosing the data already on the hdd!

the fat32 section has to be primary and ntfs logical or cfg will show the dump screen and booter just crashes.

booter doesnt list the games alphabeticaly though which is a bit annoying but cfg does :)

possibly my last question is how to store (and load) multi disc games? whats the file path have to look like? am i right in saying atm only games which prompt a save before disc swapping will work?

iv tryed lots of games, most work great but a few have issues, where should i post these?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
well i got it working on a partitioned hdd. i used easeUS to split my ntfs and create fat32 for my gc games without loosing the data already on the hdd!
the fat32 section has to be primary and ntfs logical or cfg will show the dump screen and booter just crashes.
booter doesnt list the games alphabeticaly though which is a bit annoying but cfg does :)
possibly my last question is how to store (and load) multi disc games? whats the file path have to look like? am i right in saying atm only games which prompt a save before disc swapping will work?
iv tryed lots of games, most work great but a few have issues, where should i post these?
The name of the folder that the "game.iso" file is in doesn't matter so you can change that since both disk 1 and disk 2 will have the same GameID. You can play any game up to the point where you have to switch disks. At that point you can continue only on the games that let you save before making the switch because you will have to reset the Wii and load disk 2 directly.

EDIT : There may be some issues with some loaders recognizing both games separately. I don't know if all loaders sort them by the folder name or by the GameID on the disk image. Just in case, make sure the first few letters of the folder name are different, just in case the loader only uses the first few letters to save space.

mrpinkeye

Trophies
XP
Country
The name of the folder that the "game.iso" file is in doesn't matter so you can change that since both disk 1 and disk 2 will have the same GameID. You can play any game up to the point where you have to switch disks. At that point you can continue only on the games that let you save before making the switch because you will have to reset the Wii and load disk 2 directly.

EDIT : There may be some issues with some loaders recognizing both games separately. I don't know if all loaders sort them by the folder name or by the GameID on the disk image. Just in case, make sure the first few letters of the folder name are different, just in case the loader only uses the first few letters to save space.

so itd just be something like...

root>games>gamedisc1>game.iso
root>games>gamedisc2>game.iso

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?