How to play PS1 games on OPL?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Get one of the beta daily builds. Official branch no longer includes the code to run ps1 backups.

But I was told those might have issues the most recent official versions don't so I stopped using them. Is it possible to run POPStarter via OPL in the latter's Beta versions, by the way?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

banbanban

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But those might have issues the most recent official versions don't. Is it possible to run POPStarter via OPL in the latter's beta builds?
Yes it's possible using the Apps menu tab.

Here is the layout of how your APPS folder should be:

APPS
...|___SCUS_949.00.Crash Bandicoot
................................|___XX.SCUS_949.00.Crash Bandicoot.ELF
................................|___title.cfg

XX.SCUS_949.00.Crash Bandicoot.ELF is just a copy of POPSTARTER.ELF renamed to match your game VCD, you can use pops2apps wich will do all the work of renaming and copying the ELFs.

title.cfg is just a txt file with the .cfg extension, here is how inside it should be like:

title=Crash Bandicoot
boot=XX.SCUS_949.00.Crash Bandicoot.ELF

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes it's possible using the Apps menu tab.

Here is the layout of how your APPS folder should be:

APPS
...|___SCUS_949.00.Crash Bandicoot
................................|___XX.SCUS_949.00.Crash Bandicoot.ELF
................................|___title.cfg

XX.SCUS_949.00.Crash Bandicoot.ELF is just a copy of POPSTARTER.ELF renamed to match your game VCD, you can use pops2apps wich will do all the work of renaming and copying the ELFs.

title.cfg is just a txt file with the .cfg extension, here is how inside it should be like:

title=Crash Bandicoot
boot=XX.SCUS_949.00.Crash Bandicoot.ELF

And is it possible to play PS1 games on POPStarter via USB and SMB without using OPL and will they lag both ways, especially in FMVs? Also, if played via USB using a 2.5" external HDD, will they only be playable if using an USB Y-cable connected to both PS2 USB ports or if using a self-powered USB hub connected to the PS2 since the console may not provide enough energy to the external HDD?

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
And is it possible to play via USB and SMB and will games stutter when played both ways, especially in FMVs? Also, if played via USB using a 2.5" external HDD, will I only be able to play them using an USB Y cable since the PS2 may not provide enough energy if using only one USB port?
you can set up a pi as a server. plug your hdd to the pi usb port. smb works w/o fmv stutter and you should be fine (no hdd voltage drops)

banbanban

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And is it possible to play via USB and SMB and will games stutter when played both ways, especially in FMVs? Also, if played via USB using a 2.5" external HDD, will I only be able to play them using an USB Y cable since the PS2 may not provide enough energy if using only one USB port?
I'm playing PS1 games through USB, there is no stutter in FMVs and i get even better load times in games like Tomb Raider. Stutter only appear if i play PS2 games through USB.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
you can set up a pi as a server. plug your hdd to the pi usb port. smb works w/o fmv stutter and you should be fine (no hdd voltage drops)

I used a nano router and FMVs still lagged when playing PS2 games on OPL via SMB but I guess PS1 games wouldn't (or at least as much) if played on POPStarter via SMB. I don't have a Raspberry Pi.

I'm playing PS1 games through USB, there is no stutter in FMVs and i get even better load times in games like Tomb Raider. Stutter only appear if i play PS2 games through USB.

Do you use an USB flash drive or an external HDD?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

According to what I was told, PS1 games don't lag on POPStarter via USB or only do a bit.

Like @banbanban said, it seems it really is possible to run POPStarter on the latest official OPL Beta versions via USB from the "APPS" tab but I was told a 2.5" external HDD shouldn't be connected to a single PS2 USB port since the PS2 mightn't provide enough energy to power it. An USB flash drive, a self-powered external HDD (a 3.5" one), an USB-powered external one (a 2.5" external HDD) connected to both PS2 USB ports via an USB Y-cable or a 2.5" external HDD connected to the PS2 via self-powered USB hub could be used but since I want to host all the PS1 and PS2 games in the same device, I want it to be an external HDD (and a 2.5" one, since it's smaller than a 3.5" one and doesn't connect to a socket) because I was told it lasts longer than an USB flash drive, I don't want to waste an extra socket and I don't want to use an USB Y-cable or a self-powered USB hub, I'll play PS1 games on the PS3 even if I get POPStarter running via SMB (and in an official OPL version) since it's also easier for me, it seems the PS3 is more compatible with them than the PS2 and PS1 games don't lag on the PS3 (or at least less than on POPStarter via USB on the PS2).

EDIT: Since I want to use the same 2.5" external HDD I do for running PS2 games via SMB and for that I'd need an USB Y-cable or a self-powered USB hub, I'll keep playing PS1 games on the PS3 since it's also easier for me, it seems the PS3 is more compatible with them than the PS2 and PS1 games don't lag on the PS3 (or at least less than on POPStarter via USB on the PS2), so I won't waste more time trying to run POPStarter at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol