How to play multi disc PS2 games on OPL?

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe you can swap PS2 discs on the fly, but there's very few multi disc games (like less than 10) and most (all?) will let you save before swapping. Never used OPL for PS1 so i dunno.

Every PS2 game with 2 discs, there's 11 https://gamerant.com/every-multi-disc-ps2-game/

Multi-disc games will ask you to save your game file. Then when you start the next disc, it will load the previously saved game file (or provide options to do so). The only example I can think of would be games like Singstar, where you can swap out discs to load different songs while the game is still running. Dynasty Warriors has something similar wherein you can load data from a different disc (game, e.g.previous game in a series), and then you re-insert the actual game disc back after the data is done loading (prompts on the screen during the process, of course).

I don't know if the game you are referencing has that feature, but the answer is that OPL does not have disc swapping features. However, those scenarios listed above are not multi-disc games, but multiple games within a series making use of data from different games within the series. Generally the former will just ask you to save your game, then you start the next disc and load your save data; the latter requires actual disc swapping which OPL does not provide at the moment.

The solution for multi-disc games is to simply specify that all the other discs (because they will have different disc IDs) use the same VMC file (unless you use an actual physical card).

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Once you finished Disc 1 it will you tell you load up disc 2 to continue.

And how can that be done with backups on POPStarter/OPL and on the PS3 and PSP?

I don't believe you can swap PS2 discs on the fly, but there's very few multi disc games (like less than 10) and most (all?) will let you save before swapping. Never used OPL for PS1 so i dunno.

Every PS2 game with 2 discs, there's 11 https://gamerant.com/every-multi-disc-ps2-game/

How can it be specified for other discs to use the same VMC file? Also, I use the actual physical card, not a VMC. OPL isn't used for PS1, but POPStarter.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
OPL reads your real memory cards just fine.

What about multi disc PS1 games on POPStarter/PS3 and multi disc PSP games on the PSP?
Post automatically merged:

That I can't help you with I only tried it with PS2 games.

And how can disc 2 be loaded if on ISO and CUE/BIN formats?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Should be (L1+L2+R1+R2+SELECT+START)

But that's IGR and it must be set to run OPL since it runs wLE by default. Anyway, I find it odd for it to work since the game is also exited. If restarting the PS2 and then running OPL to run the game to load disc 2 instead of using IGR, I guess the steps won't work (the game is also exited), then. Do all multi disc PS2 games support IGR?

HippyJ3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
OPL doesn't have an on the spot swap disc/image feature, for PS2, the only way to resume your progress to the next disc is to insert one or two memory cards on both or either one of the slots, one with OPL installed and one for normal data saving, and when the game prompts you to save before swapping disc, save your progress on the actual memory card, not on the virtual card

example on Open PS2 Loader's Memory Card OSD

<slot 1> NO VMC (The OPL can read the physical memory card, since no virtual card has been created, so you can save your swap disc save prompt progress on this slot for this game)

<slot 2> *Game ID Virtual Memory Card* (A virtual card has been created on this slot, the physical memory card will not be recognized on this slot since a virtual card exists on this slot for this game)

Once the save prompt has been created, reset the OPL by pressing L1+L2+R1+R2+SELECT+START and just select the second disc on your game list and load the swap disc save data from slot 1 (don't create a virtual card on the first slot for the second disc), unless the game won't allow you to save before swapping disc then you're out of luck

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
OPL doesn't have an on the spot swap disc/image feature, for PS2, the only way to resume your progress to the next disc is to insert one or two memory cards on both or either one of the slots, one with OPL installed and one for normal data saving, and when the game prompts you to save before swapping disc, save your progress on the actual memory card, not on the virtual card

example on Open PS2 Loader's Memory Card OSD

<slot 1> NO VMC (The OPL can read the physical memory card, since no virtual card has been created, so you can save your swap disc save prompt progress on this slot for this game)

<slot 2> *Game ID Virtual Memory Card* (A virtual card has been created on this slot, the physical memory card will not be recognized on this slot since a virtual card exists on this slot for this game)

Once the save prompt has been created, reset the OPL by pressing L1+L2+R1+R2+SELECT+START and just select the second disc on your game list and load the swap disc save data from slot 1 (don't create a virtual card on the first slot for the second disc), unless the game won't allow you to save before swapping disc then you're out of luck

OK, but do all multi disc PS2 games support IGR and are you sure it would work since the game is also exited like if restarting the PS2 and then running OPL to run the game to load disc 2 (the game is also exited)? Also, IGR must be set to run OPL since it runs wLE by default.

What if running multi disc PS1 games from POPStarter via OPL? Will IGR work when asked to load disc 2? What about multi disc PS1/PS2 games on the PS3 (in IRISMAN) and multi disc PSP games on the PSP and PS Vita (in standalone ARK-4)?

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
What about multi disc PS1 games on POPStarter/PS3 and multi disc PSP games on the PSP?
Post automatically merged:

And how can disc 2 be loaded if on ISO/CUE/BIN format?
if you wanna play PS1 games on PSP it has to be converted into EBOOT... PSX2PSP is a good program to use when converting multidisc games...then when the game tells you to change disc just press HOME BUTTON then select CHANGE DISC..you can now select the next disc of the game and wait until it loads... i already played PS1 MultiDisc games like PE1 and 2 then FF7 8 9... even Chrono Cross... almost many multidisc ps1 games can be played from start to finish... except for FEAR EFFECT NTSC which still hard to find a fix...while PAL version is kinda "SLOW and SLUGGISH" and the Official PSN PAL version only works... SIGH....

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
if you wanna play PS1 games on PSP it has to be converted into EBOOT... PSX2PSP is a good program to use when converting multidisc games...then when the game tells you to change disc just press HOME BUTTON then select CHANGE DISC..you can now select the next disc of the game and wait until it loads... i already played PS1 MultiDisc games like PE1 and 2 then FF7 8 9... even Chrono Cross... almost many multidisc ps1 games can be played from start to finish... except for FEAR EFFECT NTSC which still hard to find a fix...while PAL version is kinda "SLOW and SLUGGISH" and the Official PSN PAL version only works... SIGH....

What about playing multi disc PSP games on the PS Vita (standalone ARK-4)? Are there only multi disc PS1 and PSP games?

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
What about playing multi disc PSP games on the PS Vita (ARK-4)? Are there only multi disc PS1 and PSP games? What about multi disc PS2/PS3/PS4/PS5/PS Vita games?
you can use the program POPS-FE as so far its the best choice for converting PS1 games for Vita and PSP....as it has some game fixes inserted automatically while converting the game for your vita and its still updating for various update and game fixes...while PSX2PSP is already obsolete though you can also insert game fixes manually....you can check also here in GBAtemp about POPS-FE tuts and discussion AS some PS1 games still had problems...NOT ALL.. but there are some few more games...but "MOSTLY KNOWN" PS1 games works fine and great as of now... for PSP im not quite sure about the compatibility as i dont have a Vita only PSP3000 brite and so far 6.61 Infinity works great but i dont have a multi disc iso game on my memory stick...

Last edited by OPPAI_DAISUKI,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
you can use the program POPS-FE as so far its the best choice for converting PS1 games for Vita and PSP....as it has some game fixes inserted automatically while converting the game for your vita and its still updating for various update and game fixes...while PSX2PSP is already obsolete though you can also insert game fixes manually....you can check also here in GBAtemp about POPS-FE tuts and discussion AS some PS1 games still had problems...NOT ALL.. but there are some few more games...but "MOSTLY KNOWN" PS1 games works fine and great as of now... for PSP im not quite sure about the compatibility as i dont have a Vita only PSP3000 brite and so far 6.61 Infinity works great but i dont have a multi disc iso game on my memory stick...

I already use that program on the PS3 but it converts games to PKG so how can they be played on the PSP?

OPPAI_DAISUKI

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I already use that program on the PS3 but it converts games to PKG so how can they be played on the PSP?
the POPS FE?....for PSP its EBOOT...and after converting the game..for example Tekken 3.bin... the output would be [Tekken 3/Folder inside the folder is .eboot] which is the tekken 3 game...

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by OPPAI_DAISUKI,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Funny bone is the name of a chocolate and peanut butter cake :P