How to play online with Gateway 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Lockerzpoints2, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Lockerzpoints2
    OP

Lockerzpoints2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 15, 2015
    United States
    Sorry, I know this is a newbie question, but can someone tell me how to properly play online with Gateway 3DS? The recent information about the bans has worried me.

I've heard you have to dump your own games (I have my 3DS games here) to get a banner or something.
    Could you not download something to save the trouble overall? If not, can someone link/tell me how to do it? Thanks in advance.

2. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    You need to apply a private header to you game and change the extension to .3dz

1. Download gateway ROM Patcher or 3DS ROM editor
    2. Open it and load a ROM of one of your legit backups
    3. Click "save to bin" or "export header to file" and save it somewhere
    4. Next open the ROM you want to go online with in the ROM patcher
    5. Then select "open bin" or "import header from file" and select the bin you saved before
    6. Click "write to Rom" or "Apply". If it says something like it has to fix the header to match the game, select "okay"
    7. Now your ROM has your own private header, just rename the extension to .3dz and put it in your gateway

3. Lockerzpoints2
    OP

Jan 15, 2015
    United States
    Ah okay, I will give that a try. Thank you.

4. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    No problem. Just FYI, no one has been banned using private headers yet, but it still might not be safe for all we know

5. Lockerzpoints2
    OP

Jan 15, 2015
    United States
    It's worth a try. Pretty sure if we use our own header from our games we can't be banned (since no one else would have your header I believe/assume).
    I had to backup my copy of Mario Kart and Animal Crossing anyways as they were having some issues reading.

6. bendrr

bendrr GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    in the case they are even more strict in the future, don't use emunand online with games you use online. In the end, no one knows how far they will go to ban. Even a private header may not be enough soon. Get your 3ds banned and no matter what retail version you buy it will still be banned. Hate to be so negative on this one but it may be coming and I'D HATE TO GET MY FAV (OR ONLY) 3DS BANNED FOR A YEAR OR EVEN LIFE.

7. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    That's a good plan, but then not playing online is the same as being banned. It's a tough choice to make, someone may never find a way to be safe for good.

8. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    How to not play online? easy turn off weefee.

9. Lockerzpoints2
    OP

Jan 15, 2015
    United States
    To me, I'm not sure how they'll detect the private headers. Doesn't the header basically register has the game being played from retail? i.e. Using Mario Kart's header on a different game with online, then it reads it as Mario Kart 7 being played from the retail ID? I hope I'm making sense here. I can see how public headers can be taken down quickly with ease but private, not so much. The cia files though I can see. Even with no banner, there has to be eshop detection possibly?

10. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Then we might as well push the yolo button.

11. apoptygma

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    For all we know Nintendo can detect emunand and ban everyone with a Gateway, cias, private headers etc wouldn't save you. There's one safe way to play online - buy games and play them on an unmodified console. Anyone who says they are safe from being banned while using a Gateway is only fooling themselves and propagating a false sense of security for other gateway users.

12. gohan123

gohan123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2012
    Gambia, The

do I need to press on "apply" ?

13. sbm888

sbm888 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    just don't play online - simple as that.. it's the safest way.

14. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    If you feel a Trojan will keep you safe with a crack ho, then you will feel safe with .cia.

15. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Uh, probably. I don't use the gateway ROM tool, I use another that's uploaded here that I can't remember the name of.

EDIT: I use 3DS Rom Editor v1.1.1, you have to click "write to rom". For Gateway ROM Patcher, you must click apply

16. darcangel

darcangel Lovely Troll

Sep 12, 2009
    Brazil
    Im not finding a working version of the rom tool, does anyone have it?

17. samiam144

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
  18. darcangel

darcangel Lovely Troll

Sep 12, 2009
    Brazil
    samiam144 likes this.