Hacking How to launch BootMii on a system with Preloader (4.1U)

HisshouBuraiKen

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I finally got around to installing bootmii (as boot2) on my 4.1U Wii, and made a backup of my NAND. I also have preloader installed on this system which I use for the fun system menu hacks it affords.

99% of the time, I like my Wii to boot right to the System Menu, where I either go to the HBC, a USB loader channel or play a WiiWare game. So I don't want to have to manually go through bootmii menu and preloader manually each time. So is there a way to get into bootmii first in case I ever need/want to restore my NAND? Holding reset when I power on my wii takes me to preloader.

I used the bootmii config editor and set autoboot to system menu and the boot delay to 0. Advice/Solutions?

Thanks!

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You only need to have the SD in place with the bootmii folder and the settings in the ini to not autoload anything (or at least, have a time out for it)

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the wii bricks, put your SD in the computer, then edit sd:/bootmii/bootmii.ini manually.

Or do what my friend did, set delay to 1. That way, you can usually press power twice quickly to get into it. (One turns on, other moves the selected choice and cancels autoboot...)

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have my bootmii autoboot in 2 seconds to the system menu, which goes into preloader which is set to autoboot to Coverflow. So my Wii boots straight into Coverflow when I turn it on and I have access to bootmii if I ever need it, and preloader if I hold reset after bootmii loads the system menu.

I don't think you'd be able to get to your Wiiware games without manually going into preloader though if you do that. You could just have preloader autoboot the system menu and then bootmii autoboot the HBC (after 1 second) so when you turn it on you can go straight to the HBC and load your usb loader or just press home and go back to the system menu from the HBC to load wiiware games.

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
Or simply remove preloader and use start patch which will enable all the hacks that preloader does. And bootmii as boot2 is all the brick protection you need

Thats just my opinion though you may want preloader for some unknown reason.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
djda said:
Or simply remove preloader and use start patch which will enable all the hacks that preloader does. And bootmii as boot2 is all the brick protection you need

Thats just my opinion though you may want preloader for some unknown reason.

If he already has it, there's no reason to go through the trouble of getting rid of it and installing startpatch to achieve nothing new at all while removing the ability to autoboot .dol's and the extra brick protection preloader offers by being able to directly boot things like wad manager even if the HBC is messed up. Restoring old NAND backups isn't always the best way to fix a brick.

This isn't directed at you, but on the topic of preloader hate, I find it pretty ironic how some people can be all resolute and firm in thinking that preloader is too dangerous and not good for a system to have or some crap...and then advocate CIOSCORP as great and super safe.

Stokesy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got bootmii installed as boot2 on my Wii, but I can't boot into it. I have the correct config on the SD card, and the wii flashes blue twice to signal that it is definitely installed as boot2, but it wont boot. I have already taken a NAND backup by installinf it as an IOS and starting it from the HBC, but I can't boot it from boot2. Is it possible that my SD card is incompatible with bootmii? It works for everything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Cj8n4MfhjUc?si=detAUm1a27hi4uTP