Hacking How to install HBC on 4.2 without Bannerbomb?

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible to install HomeBrew Channel without bannerbomb?

I decided I would update my wii to 4.2 and was following the guides. It told me I should reinstall HBC with bannerbomb so that HBC channel would be running under the right IOS. What I should have done was reinstall preloader and then installed HBC from that, but I was lazy and thought the bannerbomb way would be faster so I deleted HBC and stuck bannerbomb on my sd card. Now it wont work. It just keeps freezing. I've tried at least 10 versions of bannerbomb and none of them work.

Why is it freezing? Bad SD card, bad boot.elf file?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
u have to load v2 of bannerbomb (the version that works on 4.2 systems) via the sd card button on the main system menu.

This is different from what the bannerbomb v1 veterans are familiar with, and it sounds like u fall under this category.

hope this works for u

Posts merged

and of course there are alternative exploits available other than bannerbomb

1) bannerbomb
2) indiana pwns
3) smash stack (US consoles only)
4) twlight hack (only works on 3.4 systems and below)

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ya I was trying v2 and none worked.
hxxp://bannerbomb.qoid.us/index.new.php

Thanks I'll try one of the other ones.

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xflak40 said:
u have to load v2 of bannerbomb (the version that works on 4.2 systems) via the sd card button on the main system menu.

Yep I totally didnt read that completely. I didnt know you could load it from the sd card button. When the tutorials said sd card menu I thought I had to go into the menu settings one just like the other versions.

I ended up figuring out a way. I loaded the hackmii boot.elf in the apps and found out I could load it from USB loader GX which I was able to access still because of the forwarder on my wii menu.

Also for the first time ever I was able to install bootmii as boot2. Ive run the hackmii installer on so many different wiis and actually many times before on this wii too and it never let me for some reason. Now that Ive seen it I think I like preloader better tho. It lets me put in the hacks and it boots the wii up without having to select an icon.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ThaDraGun said:
xflak40 said:

Yep I totally didnt read that completely. I didnt know you could load it from the sd card button. When the tutorials said sd card menu I thought I had to go into the menu settings one just like the other versions.

I ended up figuring out a way. I loaded the hackmii boot.elf in the apps and found out I could load it from USB loader GX which I was able to access still because of the forwarder on my wii menu.

Also for the first time ever I was able to install bootmii as boot2. Ive run the hackmii installer on so many different wiis and actually many times before on this wii too and it never let me for some reason. Now that Ive seen it I think I like preloader better tho. It lets me put in the hacks and it boots the wii up without having to select an icon.
Just to clarify
the update to 4.2 section tells you to go to the sd card channel settings
the modify 4.2 section you to go to the sd card menu.

Read it thoroughly next time

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
pretty tired, mighta came off more harsh than intended

fyi, priiloader is nowhere near as good a bootmii as boot2, if u prefer priiloader thats fine, but install both... if u don't, it is a big mistake, research it if u dont believe me

bootmii as boot2 +nand backup = virtually unbrickable

priiloader by itself = can recover from some bricks

priiloader + bootmii as ios +nand backup = can recover from more bricks than priiloader by itself

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xzxero said:
Just to clarify
the update to 4.2 section tells you to go to the sd card channel settings
the modify 4.2 section you to go to the sd card menu.

Read it thoroughly next time
Yes, I see the difference now and I admit I completely missed it. I never use that button so I just totally forgot it even existed really thats why I didnt really read over it too carefully cuz I didnt know it was done differently for 4.2. Ah well. I know for next time.

QUOTE(xflak40 @ Nov 17 2009, 01:32 AM) pretty tired, mighta came off more harsh than intended

fyi, priiloader is nowhere near as good a bootmii as boot2, if u prefer priiloader thats fine, but install both... if u don't, it is a big mistake, research it if u dont believe me

bootmii as boot2 +nand backup = virtually unbrickable

priiloader by itself = can recover from some bricks

priiloader + bootmii as ios +nand backup = can recover from more bricks than priiloader by itself

Yah I hear ya. It would be a good idea to keep it. Also I found a thread thats said you can use the Bootmii Configuration Editor and have it autostart the wii menu so I'll have to do that.
I would rather have both since preloader lets me disable updates etc. If I was to install both, how to I access the preloader menu? Still by holding the reset button?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
correct, if u configure bootmii to disable autoboot (this means it will launch the system menu at startup) it will then load w/e u have priiloader set to load, it could be priiloader, the system menu, the homebrew channel, bootmii, or any file u have installed... I recommend checking out using priiloader to boot one of these crazy intro videos

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=189411&hl=

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeadlyFoez said:
ThaDraGun said:
xflak40 said:

Dude, you're a fucking idiot for not reading before doing. You should always read the readme file and everything else before attempting to do what you were trying to do.

I honestly think gbatemp should make an "Idiot's Corner" for all the people like this guy. You know, that would clear out %97 of the crap threads in the hacking forum where true hacking info should take place, not illiterate fools.

Seriously, and you know it, this was a waste of a thread and whatever energy was wasted throughout the process bc this dude could not read the webpage or the included readme file.

CODE
4. Press the SD card icon (for the SD menu). This is different from the last version. Then insert the card. It should either pop up Load boot.dol/elf? or freeze.

Was that too hard to read, especially with the red bold text on that page?? Get the fuck out of gbatemp. No one likes stupid people.

I know I'm being harsh, but dude, it was right in front of your face and 2 people even said it to you and you still said it didn't work. I bet your math teacher hated you.

Thanks for the help jackass. If there weren't idiots like me then there would be no need for this forum. I bet you've never made a mistake before either eh.
It was a pleasure. I hope you have a wonderful evening sir.

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol go hank somewhere else. this is the hacking forum

yes, you can edit the bootmii ini file to autoboot the system menu or hbc after a certain amount of seconds or right away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning