• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
That's probably because some devices can't use _ or spaces in the SSID.
Fair enough. But is a difference for streetpass itself, because I've got several from the USA with _Th Cloud used which I thought is not working with the american version of 3DS

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough. But is a difference for streetpass itself, because I've got several from the USA with _Th Cloud used which I thought is not working with the american version of 3DS

The 3DS in NA can see "_The Cloud" as a Zone, or at least mine can. However, for the purposes of the relay itself, he's probably referring to router/phone limitations. Not limitations on which Zones the 3DS can see.

If I remember correctly, there were some JP Zones that worked on NA units in the past. I think however the NA units saw NA content, and the JP units saw JP content. If anyone can correct that, please do.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ssids are not region locked.

Well was. At the old versions attwifi only worked for EU units set to Australia.
The main question is zone SSID matter to stritpass data received or it is only a MAC. attwifi is more compatible for sure, but can wuropean users whore a able o set _The Cloud keep it working to have a working Noitendo Zone content aswell as fully compatible StreetPass?

UPD: ok, read Jimbolicious It seems plausible that SSID is used as a key along with a MAC, switching my ap to attwifi for compatibility

Refyref

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I just came in to say that it's not hard at all to set this up on Windows, except you can only set it up for addresses that start X2, X6, XA and XE.
I wrote a guide on how to do it on GAF, I'll just copy it to here.

First thing to do is to change your WiFi card/adapter's MAC address. There are multiple ways to do so, but the easiest is to use a program called TMAC.

In TMAC, you just select the connection you want to change the MAC address of, then click change now and it does it.
Keep in mind though, that some MAC addresses can't be selected due to some system rules. If you fail to set your new MAC address, click on the "Use '02' as first octet of MAC address". Of course, this means people will have to set up new MAC addresses with '02' at the start to pass through , but that's just how it is.

Now, you need to set up the network. Go to the Network and Sharing Center, and press "Set up a new connection or network". There, choose "Set up an ad-hoc network". Give it the name "_The Cloud" (or "attwifi" if you want to try that SSID) and set it to "No authentication (Open)".
After you did that, it will show you the option of "Turn on connection sharing". Press that. If it doesn't show that, go to the status screen of the connection you made, press "properties", go to the sharing tab, and check the box.

And that's it. I probably made it sound way more complicated than needed, but at least there is a guide now. Keep in mind that this is for Windows 7/8 (I'm not sure whether you can do this in earlier versions of Windows), and, of course, this won't work if your adapter does not support MAC changing.

I may add some pictures if people want.

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
I just came in to say that it's not hard at all to set this up on Windows, except you can only set it up for addresses that start X2, X6, XA and XE.
I wrote a guide on how to do it on GAF, I'll just copy it to here.
What? you made it work with and ad-hoc network?

Reactions: nxwing

Refyref

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
What? you made it work with and ad-hoc network?

Well, I didn't actually make it work, since my WiFi adapters don't support MAC address changing (as I discovered), but this theoretically should work if yours do support it.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

That's right, because Windows only allow to set a locally assigned unicast MAC, this is actually right decision. We'll chose a public one later.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strangeness. Fresh install of the latest Ubuntu on a Lenovo S10e. No wired connection available (mostly because I don't feel like disconnecting wires behind heavy entertainment centers).

The internal wifi card (Broadcom) seems to be labeled "eth2". My cheapass old Belkin G adapter shows up as wlan1.
Dafuq?

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Strangeness. Fresh install of the latest Ubuntu on a Lenovo S10e. No wired connection available (mostly because I don't feel like disconnecting wires behind heavy entertainment centers).

The internal wifi card (Broadcom) seems to be labeled "eth2". My cheapass old Belkin G adapter shows up as wlan1.
Dafuq?
Does it also shows that when you try to connect wirelessly to the internet? You can see that on internet option on the top right of the screen

Reactions: nxwing

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I connected both to the internet, and the internal is eth2, the dongle is wlan1

I am also thinking that the Broadcom card may not be compatible with hostapd, and that is why I had so much trouble when this one ran Mint.

If that's the case, I'll do a fresh install on the other netbook and see what happens.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, the link to Somebunny's file isn't working. I grabbed the zip set from Alphonso am can't seem to figure out what to do with everything.

I'm not great at the terminal, as I've stated before.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That depends on the version apparently, Vista and up can only change to X2/6/A/E from what I've read. But XP can change to anything, including X0 (at least with Macshift it can, heh).

Refyref

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
That depends on the version apparently, Vista and up can only change to X2/6/A/E from what I've read. But XP can change to anything, including X0 (at least with Macshift it can, heh).

The 2/6/A/E limitation was added in 7, previous versions can use all of them.

However, built-in ad-hoc support was only added in 7, so it's a bit harder to set it up on XP/Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: