[HOW-TO] Have a homemade Streetpass Relay

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by dicamarques, Aug 9, 2013.

?
  1. Linux

90 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Android

132 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Router

225 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Windows

418 vote(s)
    36.3%
  5. A pony with a wifi antenna O.o?

286 vote(s)
    24.8%
  1. Come_mai

Come_mai Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2013
    Australia
    hi,

great work on finding all that stuff and the tutorials :)

Having some issues getting it to work on android though:
    "wifi tether" doesnt work on my Samsung Galaxy S4
    getting "Tethering started with errors. please check logs" -> "unable to open log-file: file does not exist" on stock rom (rooted, SU via SuperSU)

The app then says it has tethering activated, neither my 3DS nor my other devices can find the SSID though.

anybody else got it to work on the S4?

cheers,
    CM

2. dicamarques
    OP

dicamarques Definitely not Bruce Wayne.

Jun 25, 2010
    Portugal
    Your computer's Recycle Bin
    Another happy seeder :)

3. carlos1982

carlos1982 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2007
    Not really sure if this is the right place to say thanks, would never have thought to try it on android. And have streetpassed with a ton of people :D

dicamarques likes this.
  4. Brodius

Brodius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    So I am having an issue with the router... route.

I have changed the SSID name to attwifi, I have disable security, enabled mac clone and changed the MAC number to one from the list, and saved it all.

I then got the Nintendo Zone icon on my 3DS, it said there was a zone nearby, and I was able to access that app for everything they have on there.

But no street passes outside of my home; is there something further I should be doing?

5. katsup

katsup GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Are you changing the WAN MAC or Wireless MAC? You should be changing the Wireless MAC.

6. Jimbolicious

Jimbolicious GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    United States
    You're probably cloning the wrong MAC. It needs to be the a wireless LAN MAC specifically. This is the most common reason.

7. Brodius

Brodius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    Thanks, both of you. I'll do this when I get home. I have a feeling I've been touching WAN instead of wireless.

8. Fenyx

Fenyx Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    Canada
    Is there a script to automate cycling mac addresses on OSX?

9. EdIwin3052

EdIwin3052 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2013
    United States
    can i get some help?
    Currently using a linksys/cisco 2500 router flashed with DDWRT v-24 sp.2 mini. Unable to get an internet connection. Have tried the mac clone instructions since my DSL doesnt not use PPP0E, but not sure if i am doing them correctly

10. felipeshaman

felipeshaman Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2013
    Brazil
    My phone is a LG Optimus L5, so it's not on the list. aside from the decide profile, my configuration is exactly like yours.
    Still can't get it to work with the Generic ICS/JB configuration.

11. manschesrl

manschesrl Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2013
    United States
    Hello, uhh, when i put the MAC "40:53:50:4F:4F:46" in Clone Wireless MAC, but then I can't get internet in my PC, and my 3DS can't reach Nintendo Zone or WiFi (Neither my android), why is this happening?

12. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    Okay guys, I'm getting a new DD-WRT supported router. I want to use my main router for normal internet (with my WPA 2 encryption and my own SSID) and the second one for this project. If I put the second one behind the first router, will that work? So it works like this:

Main router (random MAC, with my personal SSID and security)

|
    |
    |

Secondary router (with both internet and local MACs spoofed, attwifi SSID) ----- 3DS connects to this one.

Would this work? The 3DS thinks the router is our MAC, but the internet comes in to the 1st router with its MAC. Should I spoof the MAC of the 1st one too?

Thanks, I'll also post this in the other thread.

13. SeZMehK

SeZMehK The Wielder of the Keyblade

May 8, 2003
    United States
    I am doing the same thing. I get it to work. I set up a MAC address once. It works. Then I do it again in the DD-WRT settings and I lose complete access to the DD-WRT router. I would then have to hard reset and set it up again. I dont mind doing this but its a real pain. Any one has any solutions?

Primary router = Actiontec Verizon Fios
    Secondary Router = Linksys E2500 DD-WRT

14. hosigumayuugi

hosigumayuugi AndroPlus

Aug 24, 2009
    Kyoto
    Another way to use Android(rooted):
    1. Open /data/etc/wlan_macaddr0 and change MAC address
    2. Open Wi-Fi Tethering settings and change to "attwifi" and open
    3. Enjoy!

15. katsup

katsup GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Yes, this will work. This is what I have:

Main Router (DDWRT) --- LAN PORT ---> WAN PORT --- Old Router (DDWRT)

I gave old router a IP of 192.168.0.1 and changed the subnet so devices on the old router can not see shared folders. I only change the Wireless MAC on my old router and it works fine.

Note that you can have a WPA2 encryption on attwifi and _The Cloud and it still works. You'll just have to add them to the 3DS's Internet connection.

16. EdIwin3052

EdIwin3052 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2013
    United States
    can i get some help?
    Currently using a linksys/cisco 2500 router flashed with DDWRT v-24 sp.2 mini. Unable to get an internet connection. Have tried the mac clone instructions since my DSL doesnt not use PPP0E, but not sure if i am doing them correctly

still seeking help or can someone lead me to some info

17. jowan

jowan GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2008
    Colombia
    Darmstadt
    On Windows 7, everything goes fine, but the 3DS won't connect to the network, it just shows an error when trying to connect, can anybody help? :(

18. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    Alright so I'm writing a script for Windows to cycle through the MACs (the first one will just change every 15 minutes, but the next one when I get more time will ask you what interval to change.

19. Vidnez

Vidnez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2006
    Same problem. I have a
    Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS and same firmware (
    DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro - build 13064 ).

20. Bidoofguy

Bidoofguy Custom Title:

Mar 21, 2009
    Dear god I love you. I've tried the android method, and the wired windows 7 method, and neither of them worked for me. I tried this, and it worked perfectly. One thing though, you said you needed to delete the connection on the 3DS to change your MAC, but it worked fine for me without doing that. I just disabled VRM, changed the MAC, restarted VRM again, and got another green light.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted