ROM Hack How to hack 3DS firmware 9.5.0-22U?

Gruntzer

Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
I hate you Nintendo... :angry: If I wanted to hack again, I'd have to lose everything, or buy ANOTHER FREAKING 3DS, which I don't have the money for! My family is usually short on money, so I can barely ever afford 3DS games! I just wanted to apply a minor model hack to May in Pokemon, but NOOOOOO! They have to be such jerks! Now, I want to cool-down, but I'm so mad at them! I like their games sure, but to leave NO methods for me to do what I want on modifying my 3DS, is unforgivable! And btw, I rarely EVER get angry, but Nintendo JUST hit the trigger to set my fuse-off!

EDIT: btw, if I were to use a different 3DS, but set it to the same Nintendo Account, will my games on my SD Cards still work?

EDIT2: I'm normally a nice guy, so things don't get me angry most of the time. So most of the time when here, I'd be calm.
it is called ROM for a reason

ZiggyRose64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has every right to protect their intellectual property. They also have a responsibility to their shareholders to protect their business. If you are really going to be upset that Nintendo is preventing you from bypassing the security they have on their console I would recommend saving up $30-$60 and buying an open platform like the Raspberry Pi or the BeagleBone Black. With those you can modify and hack them to your hearts content without worrying about any pesky closed system and security updates.
I said, short on money.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The only thing 9.5 really patches on original 3DS consoles is patching on unreleased exploit used by yellows8 involving the Arm9 (he discovered it. Whether or not he was actually using it as his entry point is not known publicly). 9.5's new protections involve mostly the n3DS

Gateway's multirom menu had stopped working on 9.5 initially mostly due to accident and not by design. Something just happened to have changed enough in 9.5 that broke the multi-rom menu. If it was by design, it would have taken Gateway longer to release a fix for it. Judging by the fact they had a fix out less then 24 hours after the firmware patch went live, this tells me that it wasn't something Nintendo did to purposely bork Gateway. Usually the times when emunand fails to boot entirely after updating it to a new firmware version is the instances where Nintendo was attempting to block Gateway.

Currently it appears to be impossible to block emunand entirely on original 3DS hardware. n3DS uses additional encryption for Arm9 and that's where they had a chance at preventing emunand. But even then it seems they still failed at implementing it correctly given the statements made by yellows8, Smealum, and that other guy who's name I can't spell correctly and wont bother. :P

At this point, the Gateway team going out of business/dropping support for Gateway is the only end game for 3DS owners. As long as Gateway devs continue to work, original 3DS will remain exploitable for the foreseeable future. Things for the n3DS are a bit murky right now as it's still to early to tell. But things turning out the same for the n3DS as it was for the 3DS is a definite possibility.

Of coarse it's possible someone else might pick up the mantle of future Gateway updates once Gateway inevitably goes under. All flashcart companies eventually disappear, It's an inevitable fact of life in the world of piracy. :P

Given the nature of the 3DS scene as it stands now, I don't really see that as a likely outcome though. We can only hope Gateway will last as long as Nintendo's update support for the 3DS does. :P

Example being the DSi. 1.4.5 I think was the last update Nintendo ever pushed out for that console and it's pretty much a discontinued product from Nintendo's vantage point. It's only logical to assume the 3DS will reach this stage too. But I don't see that happening until well into their next generation console. Will Gateway as we know now still be around? Most likely not I'm afraid.

For those looking to reverse engineer Gateway's exploit. I would have to say it might be worth while looking into what purpose the Gateway cart actually serves in the exploit process. Most assume it's just a DRM device, and that is true. But that's just the end result. How that works is the important part. I would bet the bulk of their "patches" to memory/firmware during the exploit process is actually stored on the Gateway card and not in their loader. Their loader is basically just the front end for the device. Why else do major updates require updating the Gateway card?

To install their latest batch of system patches into the Gateway card of coarse! ;)

Some things like classic mode emunand don't need the Gateway card and their launcher.dat contains everything needed for that. But as soon as you want to do something that requires patching encryption checks, the Gateway card comes into play.

Remember that the device's DRM isn't aimed solely at blocking clones. It's also designed to prevent people from booting Gateway mode without any flashcart at all (aka CFW as people call that), and the best way to protect against that is to put the most important parts of their exploit in the card it self.

Of coarse this means you'd have to actually buy/own a Gateway card before you can fully reverse engineer it. Given that the major devs in the 3DS scene are so devoted to "not supporting piracy", I can see why they never bothered. :P

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Example being the DSi. 1.4.5 I think was the last update Nintendo ever pushed out for that console and it's pretty much a discontinued product from Nintendo's vantage point. It's only logical to assume the 3DS will reach this stage too. But I don't see that happening until well into their next generation console. Will Gateway as we know now still be around? Most likely not I'm afraid.

For those looking to reverse engineer Gateway's exploit. I would have to say it might be worth while looking into what purpose the Gateway cart actually serves in the exploit process. Most assume it's just a DRM device, and that is true. But that's just the end result. How that works is the important part. I would bet the bulk of their "patches" to memory/firmware during the exploit process is actually stored on the Gateway card and not in their loader. Their loader is basically just the front end for the device. Why else do major updates require updating the Gateway card?

I have a feeling it will eventually get to this point with the original 3DS's. My guess is that they'll get everything they want on the old DS, and then just stop updating it entirely while they continue to update the N3DS. Literally no point in making security updates if every single one of your manufactured consoles in existence ships with a vulnerable version and you can just trade in your old one and buy a new one. N3DS is a different story though, those are still being manufactured and they are almost brand new, so keeping it Gateway-free for a while is top priority.

As for what the Gateway cart actually serves, it's just DRM. I believe Normatt has done a lot of research there and all the actual patching stuff is in the loader, it's just that they have a crapton of checksums and obfuscation bits in there which makes it difficult to patch out their checks (unless you have the time/money like MT card does, although they've evolved into their own separate thing at this point it seems). You can only fit so much stuff on the cart's FPGA, and even then most of the people who will actually be able to pick apart their firmware are unlikely to release an un-Gateway'd version to the public (because piracy + name being associated with it).

shadowgauge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just read a review on Nintendo world report on the New3dsxl and it ship's with firmware 9.0.0 in NA so does this mean we are good with gateway and the ninjhax exploit :yaysp:

shadowgauge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
. I was a bit surprised that my New 3DS shipped with an old firmware, version 9.0.0. Given that and the box’s 2014 date, it seems like Nintendo’s been getting ready for a North America launch for a while. This is from the review!

Nemmay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling it will eventually get to this point with the original 3DS's. My guess is that they'll get everything they want on the old DS, and then just stop updating it entirely while they continue to update the N3DS. Literally no point in making security updates if every single one of your manufactured consoles in existence ships with a vulnerable version and you can just trade in your old one and buy a new one. N3DS is a different story though, those are still being manufactured and they are almost brand new, so keeping it Gateway-free for a while is top priority.

As for what the Gateway cart actually serves, it's just DRM. I believe Normatt has done a lot of research there and all the actual patching stuff is in the loader, it's just that they have a crapton of checksums and obfuscation bits in there which makes it difficult to patch out their checks (unless you have the time/money like MT card does, although they've evolved into their own separate thing at this point it seems). You can only fit so much stuff on the cart's FPGA, and even then most of the people who will actually be able to pick apart their firmware are unlikely to release an un-Gateway'd version to the public (because piracy + name being associated with it).

The issue of being a citizen of a western nation and just a single person releasing something that could lead to easy piracy, is that Nintendo would do everything they could to identify said person, sue them, and make an example out of them as a warning to others who may attempt something similar. Sony suing Geohot created a bad recent precedent for people looking to hack a console and enable the use of homebrew. The thing is, if we buy hardware, we should be able to do what we want with said hardware and the software that came on the product. Sure, in that case, I believe Nintendo would have every right to ban people from their online services and attempt to prevent the use of hacks via updates to the console; however, corporations have way too much reach and power when it comes to literally fucking a person's world up for even daring to release information that may lead to piracy when the initial intent was to enable people to use whatever software they want on something they paid money for and own. Homebrew has led to many great additions in features to platforms such as the original Xbox's XBMC (at the time, the Xbox was a really great and relatively cheap media player for digital content due to being able to run unsigned code.)

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
So, I saw on YouTube that someone did a model hack for May in Pokemon ORAS, and I downloaded the files and Ohana3DS, but I dunno how to even run Ohana3DS. I'm also wondering if I have to hack my 3DS to do so. My Firmware version is in the thread title, so I don't have to repeat myself here. I'm wanting to put-in a custom theme too, but the theme editor, like Ohana3DS, is a much of files my computer doesn't recognize by file extension (both in archives btw). Please help, I looked everywhere on the internet, including YouTube, no results for any of my questions that are relevant. Also, I don't have a flashcart for 3DS, so I was hoping I could do all the things needed to be done, by SD Card loading, perhaps by the Web Browser exploits? Please help me. And Rei, I hope you notice this thread too, since it's your 3DS stuff I'm having trouble using, and you obviously know how to use. One more thing, I hope doing all this doesn't get me banned from online play...
Heh, I'm guessing you wanted to use my Busty May Mod too? lel
Even though you probably gave up by now, what exactly was the problem? errors thrown? or just lack of knowing how to use it.. i started writing tuts for it but idk..

jamosb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get a sky3ds! It works with 9.5 it plays any .3ds backup.. Sorry but Gateway isn't gonna work for you unless you can somehow downgrade which I doubt you will be able to unless you buy another cart to do it and as you said your 23 with no money..
Get a job!

The NA N3DSXL are shipping with 9.5 fw btw and even if they had 9.2 gateway will not work with them due to the browser not working the same way and the blue card is blocked so even if you could downgrade which you cant on the N3dsXL it wouldn't launch.

Reactions: Ronhero

alxz0ne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow why hack if u can play cia on classic mode. Seen ISO sites with so called clean&legit cia that should work on classic mode. Dont know if im allowed to post site adress but this is what it says about a game.

" It's properly signed and should work under flashcard's 'Classic Mode' and after SystemTransfer, you can also write it to sysnand using hardware flasher"

"So far this method of making CIAs confirmed to work with games that comes pre-installed on system or Bundles, in other words. If you have one of those on 4.5 firmware and want to make proper signed CIA out of it - contact me"

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
axe-hatchet.jpg

Is this good enough for you, or do you need a fancier tool?

Reactions: Zidapi and lemanuel

PokeChampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
– Latest EMUNAND support for old 3DS (currently version 9.7)
I'm on 3DS firmware 9.5 as well. But this just says something about the old 3DS support

megagodx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said, short on money.
Then why don't you get a job and earn these luxuries that you want? You're being unreasonably crass on this this subject. You're not entitled to complimentary software; Company's time, researching, investment in marketing, advertising, distribution and localization funds went into the gaming projects you're trying to pillage after all.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

ZiggyRose64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I'm guessing you wanted to use my Busty May Mod too? lel
Even though you probably gave up by now, what exactly was the problem? errors thrown? or just lack of knowing how to use it.. i started writing tuts for it but idk..
I Google for a rom hack that has busty May, and I'm brought back to this old thread... Yes I want to know how to use the Busty May mod. I'm on the system version 9.9.0-26U, since I lost hope on hacking my 3DS. Can you give me a beginner tutorial on how to do this? Cause I'm a total noob when it comes to things like this... ^^; I sent you a message on Youtube long ago about help, but that was AGES ago, and I dunno if I can still use this mod... If I can still use the mod, I'll buy Alpha Sapphire if I need to dump my own rom, cause I'm not restarting Omega Ruby for this.

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
I Google for a rom hack that has busty May, and I'm brought back to this old thread... Yes I want to know how to use the Busty May mod. I'm on the system version 9.9.0-26U, since I lost hope on hacking my 3DS. Can you give me a beginner tutorial on how to do this? Cause I'm a total noob when it comes to things like this... ^^; I sent you a message on Youtube long ago about help, but that was AGES ago, and I dunno if I can still use this mod... If I can still use the mod, I'll buy Alpha Sapphire if I need to dump my own rom, cause I'm not restarting Omega Ruby for this.
you cant use it on 9.9

ZiggyRose64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you cant use it on 9.9
I thought so. But I do have a DS flash card that runs-off of a micro SD card now: DSTT. Dunno how or if I can even, make it so it has 3DS compatibility. I hope so. But if it can't, I'm happy enough to be able to run MOST NDS games and classic games on my old NDS. If I CAN make it so it runs on a 3DS, I MIGHT be able to bypass the lock there and run 3DS games on it. What do you think Rei?

Reisyukaku

Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
I thought so. But I do have a DS flash card that runs-off of a micro SD card now: DSTT. Dunno how or if I can even, make it so it has 3DS compatibility. I hope so. But if it can't, I'm happy enough to be able to run MOST NDS games and classic games on my old NDS. If I CAN make it so it runs on a 3DS, I MIGHT be able to bypass the lock there and run 3DS games on it. What do you think Rei?
CTR and NTR cards are completely different. either way, the kernel will read it as such, so theres no way that'd work

Reactions: Jwiz33

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...