How to get Nintendo TVii icon back without downgrading + extras

1715212512509.png

Credits go to JustMLC for creating this mod!

Important Details

Before starting the tutorial, it's important to know that you need a jailbroken Wii U (it may also work on emulator, but I haven't tested) with either Aroma or Tiramisu (you can use Legacy [aka as Haxchi, CBHC or Mocha] too, but will be only able to get the OG switch GamePad/TV button, not the Nintendo TVii nor the OG applet bar jumping animation). You don't need any extra plugins or apps to get the TVii, but if you want to also/only get the OG switch GamePad/TV button and/or the OG applet bar jumping animation without changing the files permanently via FTP or Theme Manager, you need to have the SDCafiine Plugin (for Aroma) or the SDCafiine (HBL version) (for Tiramisu or Legacy).

This guide isn't supposed to brick your console and there has never been any bricking confirmed by someone doing this tutorial, as it does not change system files, only applies a mod each time you boot, which in the worst case can cause a soft brick. But if anything happens, I'm not responsible for the damage, follow this guide at your own risk.

This guide has been only confirmed to work in 5.5.5/5.5.6 versions, so I cannot guarantee it will work in older versions.

I. Getting the files

To get the patch files go to the creator's video description, you will see two links, the first one is where you download the files and the second one is the website where you can patch the files (which will be talked about later). Go to the first link, you'll be redirected to a Google Drive page where there will be two files and three folders:

men.rpx.bps will be inside the folders, choose one of them corresponding to your men.rpx file region (will be explained soon in the guide) (USA - American file; EUR - European file; JPN - Japanese file).

[Aroma / Tiramisu] Download men.rpx.bps if you want the TVii icon back;
[Aroma / Tiramisu / Legacy] Download Men.pack.bps if you want the OG switch GamePad/TV button  back;
[Aroma / Tiramisu] Download Men2.pack.bps if you want the OG applet bar jumping animation back (if you decide to download Men2.pack.bps you'll also need to download men.rpx.bps or it won't work later on).

You can download more than one, they work together.

If you want to understand what each one means, you can watch these videos: (showing the TVii icon and the OG applet bar jumping animation) and (showing the OG switch GamePad/TV button), he shows each one of the features.

Then, you'll need to get the any region men.rpx (needs to be the same region as your men.rpx.bps file)/any region Men.pack/any region Men2.pack file(s) depending on what you chose earlier. You can either get them by dumping from your Wii U via FTP (JUST DON'T MESS WITH YOUR WII U FILES OR YOU CAN BRICK IT) or Theme Manager (this ones only allows you to get Men.pack and Men2.pack); by downloading them online or by using JNUSTool/other similar tools. I got Men.pack and Men2.pack from Theme Manager and men.rpx using WiiUFtpServer.

II. Patching the files

This step is easier, just go to the second link of the video, then you'll see two options, ROM file and Patch file, on the first one, choose the men.rpx/Men.pack/Men2.pack file(s), and on the second one, choose, respectively, the men.rpx.bps/Men.pack.bps/Men2.pack.bps file(s). Next you need to press Apply patch.

You should get the men (patched).rpx/Men (patched).pack/Men2 (patched).pack file(s), then you need to rename it/them by removing the (patched). You should end up with men.rpx/Men.pack/Men2.pack file(s), but patched (they can't have (patched) in the name or they won't work).

In steps III and IV, I'll teach where to put the files without making it permanent, as I have done that way and it's riskier to make it permanent. But if you want to make it permanent, there are two ways, the first one requires a FTP app/plugin for the Wii U like FTPiiU and one for PC like WinSCP, and the second one requires Theme Manager, which is safer than the FTP method. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't have a coldboot exploit because of a hard brick chance, so if you want to do it, you can search online how, only do this if you really know what you are doing.

III. Placing men.rpx

(if you didn't download men.rpx skip this section)

Put your SD Card in your PC (or you can also access your SD Card via FTP) and place men.rpx in sd:/wiiu/environments/[ENVIRONMENT]/ (change [ENVIRONMENT] to either aroma or tiramisu depending on which one you are using). It should look like the image below.

1715209030575.png

If you are using Tiramisu probably there will be no plugins folder, it's okay, you don't need to create one.

IV. Placing Men.pack/Men2.pack

(if you didn't download Men.pack/Men2.pack skip this section)

• If you are in Aroma, put your SD Card in your PC (or you can also access your SD Card via FTP), then inside the wiiu folder, if you don't see the sdcafiine folder, create one, then inside the sdcafiine folder, create a folder with the name:
• If you are in Tiramisu or Legacy, put your SD Card in your PC (or you can also access your SD Card via FTP), if you don't see the sdcafiine folder inside, create one, then inside the sdcafiine folder, create a folder with the name:

0005001010040100 for American Wii Us;

0005001010040200 for European Wii Us;
0005001010040000 for Japanese Wii Us.

Next, inside this folder, create a folder with any name, it doesn't matter, but if you want to put the mod's name, it's Old Swap Icon And Old Icon Animation Wii U Menu Mod, then inside this one create a folder called content, then inside content create a folder called Common, then inside Common create a folder called Package, and to finish it off, place Men.pack and/or Men2.pack inside the Package folder. It should look like this.

Ignore all the other folders and files, they are not part of this tutorial.

If you are using Tiramisu or Legacy, the sdcafiine folder should be outside the wiiu folder, so ignore that part from the video.

V. Activating the files

The men.rpx file will automatically work when you load Aroma/Tiramisu, so you don't need to do anything. But for the Men.pack/Men2.pack files:

If you are in Aroma, you need to activate the Plugins Menu (L + Down + SELECT (-) for GamePad or B + Down + Minus (-) for WiiMotes), then go to SDCafiine and set Enable SDCafiine to true (you'll need to restart the Wii U afterwards).
If you are in Tiramisu, launch the Mii Maker app (or the Homebrew Launcher forwarder if you have it), then search for SDCafiine, click on it, after that click Load. If you want to autoboot in Tiramisu, follow this guide (you'll lose access to the HBL though):

You need to download and install Tiramisu and PayloadLoader, just follow the guide here: https://wiiu.hacks.guide.

:!: Don't forget to download and install the [channel version of the Homebrew Launcher](https://github.com/dimok789/homebrew_launcher/releases/), it will be useful. :!:

Then after you installed all of this, boot/reboot your Wii U while holding +, then select "Homebrew Launcher" as default autoboot.

Take your SD Card of your Wii U and change the homebrew_launcher.elf in the wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher with the SDCafiine one (rename it as homebrew_launcher.elf).

Now, don't forget to put your themes in the title ID folder of your menu in the root sdcafiine folder:

JP : 0005001010040000;
USA : 0005001010040100;
EUR : 0005001010040100.

And done! You now have custom themes without replacing any file!

You can download some of them here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/share-and-download-custom-wii-u-themes.592318/).

You'll now wonder why I said you needed to download the Homebrew Launcher Channel; it is because, as you replace the .elf of the Homebrew Launcher, every time you will launch the Mii Maker Channel, it will launch SDCafiine instead of the Homebrew Launcher. That why you will need to download it.
If you are in Legacy, launch the Homebrew Launcher (it's different depending if you are in Haxchi, CBHC or Mocha), then search for SDCafiine, click on it, after that click Load.

After those steps, a screen should pop up, you just need to press - to activate autoboot, and after that press A. Then everything should be working, the TVii icon, the OG button and the OG animation. Any further questions just ask me (and if you see a typo or find something confusing tell me). Happy modding! :yayu:

If you are in Aroma, I'd suggest that you open the Plugins Menu then choose SDCafiine > Advanced settings and set Skip "Preparing modpack..." screen to true.

How can I contribute?

• Help find a way to autoboot SDCafiine in CBHC (it's probably not much different from the Tiramisu way, but I can't say for sure, so if anyone can tell me, I would apreciate it! :)).

Changelog

- Fixed the incorrect appearance of the old swap icon;
- Added support for the men.rpx files from other regions that aren't Europe.

- The mod just released!

Credits

@JustMLC for creating this mod;
@KirbyBot
for creating this guide;
@Maschell for creating Aroma, Tiramisu, SDCafiine, FTPiiU and JNUSTool;
@FIX94
for creating Haxchi and CBHC;

@dimok for creating Mocha CFW;
@Xpl0itU for creating Theme Manager;
@Laf111 for creating WiiUFtpServer;
@Radnos for creating the SDCafiine autoboot in Tiramisu tutorial;

To everyone else that contributed to the Wii U modding scene :yayu: .

Last edited by KirbyBot,

KirbyBot

Kirby but robot I guess?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi, i used to be a Project Espresso Tester,

Originally Project Espresso was a project by nova
but the real tvii dev was someone named David Sosa
he still continues developing the TVii Revival but doesnt have any discord server

Project Espresso ended after nova kicked David Sosa out of the team and tried to steal a domain from one of the devs (NoNameGiven)

the project moved to a server named Latte U which i made but gave ownership away later on, the new owner was Atom (the 13 year old rverse owner who left) But that server ended up getting deleted too,

After that NoNameGiven made a Miiverse clone (known as Aquamarine) and to a few weeks ago it was where tvii updates were posted (David Sosa was a Aquamarine Developer before getting kicked out for his "fart fetish" and "humor" and being a asshole generally)

Nowadays the TVii revival is still on development but the development has reset and is now the JP UI, it looks really good!
its not useless, im still reviving it
adsadadsadasd.png

it will still be a matter of time when Pretendo releases their 3rd party system that i will make a beta, i also decided to make it based on the Japanese UI for technical reasons
Good to see this project is still going! :D

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not useless, im still reviving it
adsadadsadasd.png

it will still be a matter of time when Pretendo releases their 3rd party system that i will make a beta, i also decided to make it based on the Japanese UI for technical reasons
Until I see it properly revived, it's useless for now. I look forward to the results of your project. But until it's done, it's as useful to me as a PS6 right now.

KirbyBot

Kirby but robot I guess?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ok I did TVii icon but when I press the home button it doesn’t appear
The TVii appears on the Home Menu (like the image below)
images-41.jpeg

It doesn't appear on the Pause Menu yet. I'm not the creator of the mod and don't even know how to create this type of stuff, but the only thing I know about this is that one day it may be added to the Pause Menu

b3c3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
i did that like a year ago...
but no patching
just a old men.rpx
uh you can DOWNGRADE... the pause menu
with a pico or if your crazy you open a game and do it via fptiiu everywhere
v151 is the best pause menu version

Reactions: KirbyBot

KirbyBot

Kirby but robot I guess?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i did that like a year ago...
but no patching
just a old men.rpx
uh you can DOWNGRADE... the pause menu
with a pico or if your crazy you open a game and do it via fptiiu everywhere
v151 is the best pause menu version
Good to know, I'll try that later and come back with results. :)

KirbyBot

Kirby but robot I guess?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Uhhhhh, you need to ask for help you can get bricked if you dont know how
No worries, I'll test with Cemu first
Post automatically merged:

I got the men.rpx from v151 via JNUSTool, then, after putting it in Cemu, TVii appeared, but the app icons all got this little bug (image below). I also tried to use the pause screen, but I can't find a way to map the HOME Button in Cemu :/
Wii U Menu v151.png

EDIT: Tomorrow I'll try patching Men.pack and Men2.pack too to see if anything changes, also I'm still unable to use the HOME Button, so if you know how to map it, please let me know

Last edited by KirbyBot,

b3c3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Uh i meant the pause menu
its a separate title
do not replace it there you brick ive done it arleady uhhh
v171 is for the home menu
v151 is for the pause menu lol...
you gotta delete and reinstall the title!

Nhum70

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When i place the file men.rpx into the Tiramisu folder the Wii U get error 160-2203 (there is a problem with the memory) and when i remove men.rpx the Wii U work correctly. I tried with Aroma but i cant place men.rpx without the Wii U showing this error. Is there any solution for that?

KirbyBot

Kirby but robot I guess?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When i place the file men.rpx into the Tiramisu folder the Wii U get error 160-2203 (there is a problem with the memory) and when i remove men.rpx the Wii U work correctly. I tried with Aroma but i cant place men.rpx without the Wii U showing this error. Is there any solution for that?
Weird, it's probably something with the file. When you patched the file, did a message like this appear?
1719059758813.png
Also, which version of men.rpx did you use to patch? (if you took from your Wii U, it's the same version as your Wii U)

KirbyBot

Kirby but robot I guess?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First response is for @Nhum70 and the second one is for @b3c3.

After downloading the european files, I took the men.rpx and patched it with men.rpx.bps and it worked just fine, no checksum mismatch. Maybe you could try redownloading the patch files and patching again using the EUR one and trying the other region too (no need to actually put in the Wii U, just try patching to see if all of them give the checksum mismatch). If all of them give the checksum mismatch error, it's something with the men.rpx, I have no idea what it could be, I wish I could just give the file I have but I would probably receive a warning which could lead to a suspension.

Uh i meant the pause menu
its a separate title
do not replace it there you brick ive done it arleady uhhh
v171 is for the home menu
v151 is for the pause menu lol...
you gotta delete and reinstall the title!
I downloaded v151, not the v171 one, but I noticed that I downloaded the System Menu instead of the HOME Menu lol. Anyways, I tried what I said earlier and it made the System Menu become the old one as expected.

v151 Complete.png

But after I noticed I downloaded the System Menu instead of the HOME Menu, I fixed it and downloaded the right one. I wanted to test on Cemu, but the HOME Menu doesn't work on the emulator sadly, so I tried patching it with SDCafiine on the Wii U, but nothing happened, then I decided to download v0 and OSv9 v0, but nothing worked. After a bit more research I found out that the HOME Menu loads before Aroma and SDCafiine, so that means the only way to use the old HOME Menu is either by using FTP and changing the System Files, which is known to cause bricks, or maybe by using ISFShax, which is a coldboot exploit that loads in boot1, but as I don't have that installed, I can't really try it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Then delete when you already learnt from them. Right?
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Right???
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The term "educational purposes" has become redundant, and is often used to get around illegal repercussions.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in a perfect society everything is made for educational purposes
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm as clean and holy as a saint, I shit you not :rofl2:
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @NinStar, Pr0n exists on YouTube there of.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    yep, it's educational, for those that preach it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, They do this to get around YouTube's TOS, and often is abused for that reasoning.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    if it is educational and enjoyable then everyone wins
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    If people don't get sued or suffer from losses they'll never learn
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    If only google was as aggressive as Nintendo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I love how idiots online always try to make you out as some horrible person and pretend to know your character
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's the internet, people will just attack anyone ,just because they're anonymous for the most part
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And the ones that aren't afraid of being anonymous get it the worst
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh he said this to me, get over it Sunflower
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    the internet is and can get nasty really fast
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but it's the same ones whining about them being a victim when they want negative attention for others lol
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    although having a bad day or bad card dealt in life is just a personal issue, how you communicate to others will determine how others will treat you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No not really some people just act a certain way to please the crowd it's the internet
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    yeah, there's those also, they act entirely different compared to their RL persona
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even in life you have fake crumbs that act a certain way just to please other friends
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i call those just asskissers
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can spend years talking to each other and stop suddenly just because others don't like you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Goes back to the oh I wanna fit in with this crowd type
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I don't even have blood related family members left that I can talk to anymore, everyone is estranged
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: I don't even have blood related family members left that I can talk to anymore, everyone is...