Tutorial  Updated

How to flash the HWFLY Clone chips

See below for updates.

IF YOU BREAK YOUR BOOT0 PIN. DO NOT DM ME ASKING FOR HELP. THAT'S IT. YOU BREAK THAT PIN AND YOU CANT FLASH. YOUR CHIP IS STUCK WITH WHATEVER HWFLY PUT ON IT

Pre-requisites:

• Raspberry Pi Zero W
    • You may use another flasher if you desire.
  • Pinout Diagram
  • Modchip Diagram
  • FULL_CHIP_STOCK.bin
  • Modchip Diagram, find the PA9(TX) and the PA10(RX) pins on your modchip, and do the following:
    • Connect GPIO14(TX) on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the PA10(RX) pin on your modchip.
    • Connect GPIO15(RX) on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the PA9(TX) pin on your modchip.

1. Solder a wire to each of the following pinouts on the Raspberry Pi Zero W:
    • 3.3V
    • Ground
    • GPIO 14 (UART TX)
    • GPIO 15 (UART RX)
  2. Do the following to prepare the modchip:
    1. Lift pin 44 (also known as BOOT0).
    2. You will need a way to power the chip, so you need to find two 3.3v points. It can be on a MOSFET, but it will differ based on the revision of the modchip.
    3. Connect Ground on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the Ground pin on your modchip.
    4. Check the Modchip Diagram, find the PA9(TX) and the PA10(RX) pins on your modchip, and do the following:
      • Connect GPIO14(TX) on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the PA10(RX) pin on your modchip.
      • Connect GPIO15(RX) on your Raspberry Pi Zero W to the PA9(TX) pin on your modchip.
  3. Boot your Raspberry Pi Zero W and do the following:
    1. In the terminal, type the following command, and press enter:
      Bash:
      sudo nano /boot/config.txt
    2. Add the following line to the end of the file:
      INI:
      dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
    3. Press CTRL + X to save and exit the editor.
    4. In the terminal, type the following command, and press enter:
      Bash:
      sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
    5. Remove the following line from the file:
      INI:
      console=serial0,115200
    6. Press CTRL + X to save and exit the editor.
    7. Restart your Raspberry Pi with this command
      Bash:
      sudo /sbin/reboot
    8. In the terminal, type the following commands, and press enter after each command:

Bash:
      git clone https://github.com/Pheeeeenom/stm32flash.git
      cd stm32flash
      sudo make install
  4. Now you will flash the modchip.
    Note: This will remove read protection, and the modchip will wipe itself (that is what we want).
    1. In the terminal, type the following command, and press enter:
      Bash:
      stm32flash -k /dev/serial0
    2. Now to flash Spacecraft-NX Version 0.2.0, type the following, and press enter:
      Bash:
      stm32flash -v -w ./FULL_CHIP_STOCK.bin /dev/serial0
  5. Once you're done flashing your modchip, remove the wiring from the modchip, and restore the 3.3v pin on the modchip to its original position.

Please post pictures of your work here to further the identification of the different board revisions!

UPDATE: So it seems like stitching the spacecraft bootloader and firmware together from the repo causes unstable glitching behaviors. For now, consistent glitching behavior works with this bootload/firmware combo.
This is the original file on the OLED variant chip which has 0.2.0 spacecraft. As for glitching, I'll figure it out, give me some time...unless someone else wants to hop in and reverse the differences.

For now, this at least solves the 0.1.0 HWFLY gen 3 issue. More to come.

UPDATE 2: This is only going to work on some HWFLY chips. Older ones use higher protection than the new revisions that seem to use the QFN FPGA.

UPDATE 3: This should fully work on OLED modchips with the QFN FPGA. https://github.com/Pheeeeenom/firmware

Last edited by Mena,

OrganixXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Before my install today, I flashed the chip to 0.6.2. First attempts gone wrong, then it flashed well. Now the led pulses blue like usual after plugging in the usb. After a few seconds it shows a solid white/bright purple... Then it reboots and starts pulsing blue again, solid white/bright purple, reboot. It does it in a endless loop. Another flashing instantly after plugging in usb is possible. It think it's bricked, or what do you think? Before start installing, solder st-link and try to flash clean?

Last edited by OrganixXx,

OrganixXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not installed. I wanted to do the firmware update before installation.

€: Ok, keep calm. After getting a cup of coffee, the problem is gone. Now it doesn't reboot and flashes blue all the time. Maybe the usb-cable had no good fit in the connector or something else. I don't know.

Last edited by OrganixXx,

dakhar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hey! Recently I bought HWFLY OLED version from aliexpress. After the first launch, the modchip first flashed the yellow LED for a long time, then purple, and then the red color was constantly on. I have rebooted the console. After that, the LED on the modchip always flashed yellow and the console booted into normal mode, never once saw the "NO SD" message. I checked the wire connections with a logic signal analyzer and saw all the right messages in the channel - CLK, CMD and Dat0 were in place, I made sure the wires were soldered correctly. I asked seller for help, but he did not answer for a long time. Next, I looked on the Internet for help, there was an advice to install the HWFLY-NX firmware, it came with the bootloader. I flashed the bootloader, flashed the firmware and then enabled the modchip. The modchip always blinked blue after that, in that firmware it means that it waiting for data via USB. I connected the ST-Link programmer and saw that the program was stuck because it thought that the usb cable was connected. Then I connected the USB cable and opened the diagnostic console via UART. As a result, my modchip has the following behavior:
- it always thinks that a USB cable is connected and is waiting for a command, but it is not.
- it gets very hot.
- when starting a training from debug console, it receives information from the ADC, but does not send commands to eMMC (I checked it by logic analizer)
- installing firmware, that seller send to me did not solve the problem.

In seller files there was a line "Dont install side bootloader!!!", but I installed it on the advice from the Internet.

To be honest, I don't know if the modchip was not working when I received it, or if I broke it. But it doesn't start spacecraft no one time.

P. S. My Nintendo is still running in OFW.
P. P. S. I contacted seller yesterday, but he is silent...
Already bought gd32f350 from AliExpress, waiting for receive it, to replace.

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hot gd32 definitely implies an issue. USB detect always high is something I've seen a number of times now. Do press the seller for a refund though. There's more than enough markup on them to cover these cases.

JBDZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to upgrade and replace the chip and got the following results:

1. Please do not try or upgrade your clone chip easily, because the clone chip is bound and locked.

2.MCU and FPGA have communication protocol bound to each other. Replacing the chip or upgrading the firmware will affect the normal operation, and you will get a purple or white light.

3. Unless you solve FPGA problems or use OLED-specific chips, cloning chips can only use fixed program versions.

4. Replacing the NEW MCU will not make the clone chip work properly, but installing the clone chip back will work properly.

5. This is the result of testing with the Universal upgrader.
8abb1e5295de7daccfbc75f291259c8.jpg

d1f5b51fcc9e6e34af2ab5439fdb239.jpg

1648109149(1).png
P3240039.JPG

Reactions: dakhar and _Marco_

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. Please do not try or upgrade your clone chip easily, because the clone chip is bound and locked.

2.MCU and FPGA have communication protocol bound to each other. Replacing the chip or upgrading the firmware will affect the normal operation, and you will get a purple or white light.

3. Unless you solve FPGA problems or use OLED-specific chips, cloning chips can only use fixed program versions.

4. Replacing the NEW MCU will not make the clone chip work properly, but installing the clone chip back will work properly.

View attachment 303099
View attachment 303100

View attachment 303101View attachment 303102
This is because of the sheer amount of confusion between chips.

Lites other than genuine sx lites are not flashable due to RDP2 protection being enabled on clones.

Cores that are either a genuine sx chip or have a QFN FPGA are flashable

Only the OLED chip with the QFN FPGA is flashable

Reactions: cearp and doom95

dakhar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

View attachment 303099
View attachment 303100

View attachment 303101View attachment 303102
Interesting. My gd32 for oled chip with QFN FPGA is on the way. Recently I did research with logic analyzer on SPI between FPGA and Gd32 there is some shit, not SPI proto. I think I/O on my chip is broken.

_Marco_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I received my OLED chip yesterday and was able to update it to 0.62 without any problems.

Now it's time for the installation.

I could not update the 3 Lite chips that I still got.
Can not tell which version is on there is there ne way to check that?

MigueVal

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, I have the following issue. I have reset the chip as it says in your information. The chip is hwfly 7.1 version core. Now I get a fixed blue light and I can't update it, I connect it to the pc and it doesn't seem to exist. I do not know what to do

Attachments

• 1648748073070.jpg
    1648748073070.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 150
  • 1648748073064.jpg
    1648748073064.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 142
Reactions: GarnetSunset

Hackerman_2137

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi, yesterday i've turned on my OLED, but the console wont boot. The purple LED keeps blinking. I've updated the firmware to 0.62. But now the orange LED keeps blinking. Any ideas?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, yesterday i've turned on my OLED, but the console wont boot. The purple LED keeps blinking. I've updated the firmware to 0.62. But now the orange LED keeps blinking. Any ideas?
If you've updated your firmware, it may be trying to re-flash the payload to boot0 but is unable to for some reason.

If not that, the LED guide says: Unknown error. Cause unclear. Should not be possible.

All I can suggest is to try resetting and re-train. You'll need to remove the sd card and remove the back cover so you can short the 2 points while turning it on (without the sd in). I don't remember right now but after that, you may need to power off again, then power on, then it will do training again.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does a chip clip exist for this chip type?
One of the points lead to a connection on the emmc -> bga. Another of the points lead to a connection on the cpu -> another bga. The other points are all over the place, but no "clip" is possible with a bga anyway.

Or... are you referring to a clip for reprogramming the mod chip itself?

Last edited by urherenow,

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Orange LED blinks while accessing eMMC. If this takes too long, most likely cause is loose wire (so CMD, CLK or DAT0).

Hackerman_2137

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Orange LED blinks while accessing eMMC. If this takes too long, most likely cause is loose wire (so CMD, CLK or DAT0).
i've reset the chip, but now i've infinite glitching (20 mins and the yellow LED keeps pulsing). I will check the wiring, maybe something broke off or the emmc adapter is loose.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.