Tutorial  Updated

How To Fix Archive Bit For All SD Files And Folders

This probably only applies to people who use a Mac to manage files to their Switch's SD card. Doing this could change the files' archive bit, causing problems on the Switch OS.

One way to fix the contents of your SD card, is to use Windows to uncheck the "Folder is ready for archiving" option for every file and folder on the SD card, except for all the files and folders under "/Nintendo/Contents/registered/". After doing this, all of your games and homebrew should work, and your pictures and videos should reappear. (Instructions below.)

(In other words, the archive bit must be set for items inside the "registered" folder, and unset for everything else (including the "registered" folder itself)).

SD Card Related Issues:
- Unlocking the console: "Error Code: 2017-0247 Unable to access microSD card" or
"Data on this microSD card is corrupted and cannot be used. The corrupted data will be deleted."
- Launching software: "The software was closed because an error occurred."
- Missing screenshots and videos / "Could not save".
- Missing / no homebrew in hbmenu
- Homebrew not recognising SD files / not working.

Disclaimer Regarding the Nintendo Folder:
If all your games are already "corrupted" then this shouldn't affect you, and you can proceed with the guide.
This should work fine for everyone as it had for me and the others, but something might still happen. If changing the archive bit on the Nintendo folder corrupts games that were previously uncorrupted instead of fixing them (which is unlikely), do make a post below.

Step-By-Step Instructions:
- You will need a Windows computer/ VM for this.
- This guide aims to fix the entire SD card. You may do it differently to fix specific files and folders.
- You can also use Hekate to fix just the switch folder, or all files (excluding the Nintendo folder).

1. Select all items at the root of your SD card.
2. Right click the items and select "Properties".
3. Select "Advanced...". Untick the "Folder is ready for archiving" checkbox, then click "OK".
(Note: If the checkbox is already unticked, do steps 3-4 twice, ticking it on the first time and unticking it on the second time.)
4. Click "Apply". When the confirmation dialog comes up, select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files", and click "OK".

5. Navigate to "/Nintendo/Contents/registered/".
6. Select all items inside the "registered" folder.
(/Nintendo/Contents/registered/<select all items in here>)
7. Right click the items and select "Properties".
(Note: Steps 8-9 are the same as above, but this time we want the checkbox to end up being ticked.)
8. Select "Advanced...". Tick the "Folder is ready for archiving" checkbox, then click "OK".
(Note: if the checkbox is already ticked, do steps 8-9 twice, unticking it on the first time and ticking it on the second time).
9. Click "Apply". When the confirmation dialog comes up, select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files", and click "OK".
10. All your files should now be fixed.

Using a Mac:

If you need to use a Mac to manage files on the Switch SD, you can find a compatible file manager program (any suggestions?) or a use Windows VM. If you know how to use Terminal, you might be able to do it with this other tutorial.
Other:
Rajkosto mentioned this 2 months prior, but you'll have to change archive bits on the Nintendo folder if you want to fix your games.

Last edited by Myron49485,

calculathor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
5. Navigate to "/Nintendo/Contents/registered/".​
6. Select all items inside the "registered" folder.​
(/Nintendo/Contents/registered/<select all items in here>)​
I don't have anything under "/Nintendo/Contents/registered/" however I have stuff inside "\emuMMC\RAW1\Nintendo\Contents\registered\"
Should I do the archive fix on these files instead?

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my firmware to 16.0 using Daybreak and Atmosphere to 1.5.0 and then was having issues with incorrect sd card free space being displayed. thinking these updates caused this, I downgraded to firmware15.0.1 and to Atmosphere 1.4.1 and now still having same issues with switch system showing sd card not inserted but it really is, and TInfoil is showing 430 GB free space on the sd card, which can't be true because all of the installed games work. Tried the archive bit fixes in Windows and Hekate but didnt fix the problem. What could be causing Tinfoil to be showing the incorrect sd card free space and the switch settings to show no sd card is inserted?

Last edited by hiberto,
Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated my firmware to 16.0 using Daybreak and Atmosphere to 1.5.0 and then was having issues with incorrect sd card free space being displayed. Downgraded to 15.0.1 and and to Atmosphere 1.4.1 and now switch system showing sd card not inserted but it really is, and TInfoil is showing 430 GB free space on the sd card, which can't be true because all of the installed games work. Tried the archive bit fixes in Windows and Hekate but didnt fix the problem. What could be causing Tinfoil to be showing the incorrect sd card free space and the switch settings to show no sd card is inserted?

What cluster you used?

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I updated my firmware to 16.0 using Daybreak and Atmosphere to 1.5.0 and then was having issues with incorrect sd card free space being displayed. Downgraded to 15.0.1 and and to Atmosphere 1.4.1 and now switch system showing sd card not inserted but it really is, and TInfoil is showing 430 GB free space on the sd card, which can't be true because all of the installed games work. Tried the archive bit fixes in Windows and Hekate but didnt fix the problem. What could be causing Tinfoil to be showing the incorrect sd card free space and the switch settings to show no sd card is inserted?
What model/brand/size? Legit card?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
samsung 512 GB card

Test the card as suggested, if you are on mac use F3XSwift, test the card completely empty so backup all your data first. As for why it not showing the correct amount of space it might be have to do with the cluster, by default Nintendo use 32kb cluster, similar issue for PS Vita user when they use 32kb cluster instead of 64kb.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows).html

Reactions: hiberto

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test the card as suggested, if you are on mac use F3XSwift, test the card completely empty so backup all your data first. As for why it not showing the correct amount of space it might be have to do with the cluster, by default Nintendo use 32kb cluster, similar issue for PS Vita user when they use 32kb cluster instead of 64kb.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows).html
thanks for your help ill try this when i get home. since the Switch system showed an sd card was inserted and the correct free space prior to updating to firmware 16.0 and Atmosphere 1.5.0, something in either one of those must have caused this problem. any ideas what either of these updates could have changed in the sd card file system to cause this? have updated system firmware and Atmosphere before without having this issue, but the version of Atmosphere i tried this time is in beta I believe.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
No firmware related issues can cause the behavior, that is why we think about a damaged SD card, when you updated the firmware the card content could be beyond the "good" portion of the card and generate the problems.

Reactions: hiberto

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No firmware related issues can cause the behavior, that is why we think about a damaged SD card, when you updated the firmware the card content could be beyond the "good" portion of the card and generate the problems.
what should I use to back up the card and format the card? I think I have both emuNAND and emuMMC partitions on the card. the emuNAND isn't visible in windows file explorer but the emuMMC partition is

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test the available space so whatever left after the emunand space.
how do I format just the emuMMC partition on the sd card before running h2testw? in Windows Disk Management, only exfat and NTFS are options listed not FAT32

EDIT: I got it using AOMEI partition assistant. running h2testw now. says ~3 hours till completion. I ran the Hekate Benchmark test on the sd card first and it came back with no read/write errors but we'll see what h2testw says.

Last edited by hiberto,
  • Wow
Reactions: impeeza

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do I format just the emuMMC partition on the sd card before running h2testw? in Windows Disk Management, only exfat and NTFS are options listed not FAT32

EDIT: I got it using AOMEI partition assistant. running h2testw now. says ~3 hours till completion. I ran the Hekate Benchmark test on the sd card first and it came back with no read/write errors but we'll see what h2testw says.

You can leave the emunand partition alone, if you delete it, you lose the emunand.

Reactions: hiberto and impeeza

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test the available space so whatever left after the emunand space.
h2testw testing completed overnight and and it said there were no errors. I'm copying my backed-up data back onto that emuMMC partition now and will see if the Switch system says the sd card is inserted and if so, how much space is available
Post automatically merged:

the sd card is now showing the correct free space on the switch menu and in Tinfoil. thank you guys so much for your help, I appreciate it greatly, you guys are the best!

Last edited by hiberto,
Reactions: impeeza

CovLee

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello I have problem because retroarch dont read my ROMS foler try step 1-4 than wants to move to step 5-9 and then after restart Unable to start software for my game :(
Post automatically merged:

Hi I have problem with Games folder not detected in retroarch. It say I need to do archive bit and after I try step 1-4. I just realized the nintendo/content/registered is empty so I can’t do step 5-9. now my other games can’t be played said unable to start software. Please any help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*