Created a new emuMMC and now my games are missing, help

eddz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi everyone, I think i've messed up my emuMMC (on SD card).

1. At first, I was getting some random errors which I tried to fix.
  2. One of the fixes was attempting to fix the archive bit (using Hekate).
  3. After that, all my games were reporting as corrupted.
  4. So I tried replacing Atmosphere and Bootloader folders with backups... which made things worse because now I couldn't boot into Atmosphere at all.
  5. So went into Hekate and in the emuMMC Tools section I created a new emuMMC. The buttons says "you can create it from eMMC or a eMMC Backup", it seems to have done it from a backup because now I am able to boot back into Atmosphere with my themes still installed.

BUT, now all my games are missing!
All the files are still there.. is there any way to recover them? Thanks.

WizardWell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do you have a backup of the emuMMC's Nintendo folder? That is where all the games would be if I recall correctly. There is also the hidden partition, which is important to recreate your full environment... I might be wrong on all that though, I only just got into this stuff this month. I had to transfer my microSD to a bigger one though, and there is something called EmuTool that I used to do it (though the instructions are not clear): https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/

You might be able to restore it?

eddz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
do you have a backup of the emuMMC's Nintendo folder? That is where all the games would be if I recall correctly. There is also the hidden partition, which is important to recreate your full environment... I might be wrong on all that though, I only just got into this stuff this month. I had to transfer my microSD to a bigger one though, and there is something called EmuTool that I used to do it (though the instructions are not clear): https://gbatemp.net/threads/emutool...r-sd-switch-emu-type-on-sxos-and-more.550756/

You might be able to restore it?

I still have the original Nintendo folder on that SD Card. I think there is more to it than just that folder. Not sure about this hidden partition thing. Is there a tool which can scan an SD card for games and restore/include them in the OS?

Thanks for the link to the EmuTool. If it turns out I need to reinstall everything again (which will take days!) I'll definitely use it to backup the emunand.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
BUT, now all my games are missing!
All the files are still there.. is there any way to recover them? Thanks.
You have to reinstall them and I've not read anywhere on how you can do that from the Nintendo directory alone. Also, your game saves were stored on the emummc itself, so you aren't going to get those back; only the ones that your current emummc (restored from your backup) has.

I would just delete the Nintendo directory and start fresh (be sure to save any screenshots/video you may want to keep before doing so).

eddz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You have to reinstall them and I've not read anywhere on how you can do that from the Nintendo directory alone. Also, your game saves were stored on the emummc itself, so you aren't going to get those back; only the ones that your current emummc (restored from your backup) has.

I would just delete the Nintendo directory and start fresh (be sure to save any screenshots/video you may want to keep before doing so).
I have no saves or other data I want to keep. But I would really, really like to avoid reinstalling those games. Is there no way to recover the games? My assumption there is some kind of directory/DB in Atmosphere which links the games in the Nintendo folder to the OS. The games are still all on the same Switch and the OS version is the same, so the signatures/encryption should all still check out.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have no saves or other data I want to keep. But I would really, really like to avoid reinstalling those games. Is there no way to recover the games? My assumption there is some kind of directory/DB in Atmosphere which links the games in the Nintendo folder to the OS. The games are still all on the same Switch and the OS version is the same, so the signatures/encryption should all still check out.
I've been through this several times, and It's not the funnest part. Each time I do even more diving and I still have not found the information to make it more convenient/reliable than a fresh reinstall. I get what you are saying (the data is right there!) but I haven't really seen anyone answer this yet. I'm hoping someone can give us a more detailed explanation as to why we cannot just relink the valid data with a valid ticket and have our game icon pop back up on the menu (or if they can, that would be great!).

I've found that DBI, using its MTP responder function with a PC via USB-C is the fastest way to do reinstalls. If you don't have your backups stored locally, then I'm afraid you are going to have to redo that part. I try to stay away from the tinfoil these days.

Reactions: eddz

eddz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've been through this several times, and It's not the funnest part. Each time I do even more diving and I still have not found the information to make it more convenient/reliable than a fresh reinstall. I get what you are saying (the data is right there!) but I haven't really seen anyone answer this yet. I'm hoping someone can give us a more detailed explanation as to why we cannot just relink the valid data with a valid ticket and have our game icon pop back up on the menu (or if they can, that would be great!).

I've found that DBI, using its MTP responder function with a PC via USB-C is the fastest way to do reinstalls. If you don't have your backups stored locally, then I'm afraid you are going to have to redo that part. I try to stay away from the tinfoil these days.
That's the way I upload to the Switch too. But even at USB 3.0 speeds, it's slow (maxs out at around 30MB/s).

How do you make your backups after you install them on the Switch? A dd of the entire SD card would be most reliable, but I'm open to easier ways.

Last edited by eddz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto