Tutorial  Updated

How to fix SD-Reading-Problems for MacOS-Users

Some of you have noticed, that thinks like Homebrew-Launcher and LayeredFS-Injects aren't working as expected when using MacOS for SD-Card-Management.

The problem is, MacOS is setting an "archive flag" on every sd-card mounted and the switch won't read that folders.

So every time you are changing something on your sd-card like new layeredFS-Folders on your SD-Card just simple run this command in terminal:

sudo chflags -R arch /Volumes/SDVOLUME/

Change SDVOLUME to the name of your SD-Card!

Enter ur Mac-Password after that.

upload_2018-7-10_7-14-52.png

Update:

To avoid getting your Nintendo-SD-Files corrupted change back the archive-flag on your Nintendo-Folder:

sudo chflags -R noarch /Volumes/SDVOLUME/Nintendo/

Change SDVOLUME to the name of your SD-Card!

In addition to the above mentioned problem MacOS creates so called DS_STORE files (hidden) which also lead to problems. These can be easily removed with the tool "Hidden Cleaner Improved".

Download: https://www106.zippyshare.com/v/mxTwEyUi/file.html

After this everything should work fine for you :)

Last edited by Klodeckel1990,

Santtosz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, i just did this and my HBL works very well BUT now some games crashed (9 of 21 i have installed) and even the icons where in white "charging" and when i load those 9 it says "Error" i deleted them, re transfered and then they say "Update required to start" (without the option to use without update as usual) and i download it and again it says ERROR, DELETING FILE

i dont know what to do! can i re- do that thing in the terminal? im desperate help!

Last edited by Santtosz,

stüssy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Does anyone has a workaround for this?
No, not buying a PC...

After trying this method, some games do not load in SX but homebrew does.

SX Pro 1.3
exFAT

Santtosz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had the same problem, the only solutio was :

1 copy your saves
2 erase the NINTENDO folder
Load again (it will auto re create the nintendo folder) and you will be able to play again, just download updates etc again, then re copy your files

Does anyone has a workaround for this?
No, not buying a PC...

After trying this method, some games do not load in SX but homebrew does.

SX Pro 1.3
exFAT

Mactaetus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did this, and forgot to type in the last command which changed back the Nintendo folder.
Now can't fix it anymore. as if the last command doesn't do anything. :-/

What's the solution?

Myron49485

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I know I'm a bit late to this, but you can still salvage your games in the Nintendo directory.

All you need to do, is to "set" the archive bit for everything inside the /Nintendo/Contents/registered directory, and "unset" it for everything else on the SD card (including the "registered folder itself). I made a guide here (you'll need Windows).

Reinstalling the games wouldn't help, as they would break again the next time you copy them.

Last edited by Myron49485,

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only run this on the switch folder. It's the only one that needs it, and it can stop your Switch from recognizing your games, which happened to me in the past when I ran that command you gave.
So all you have to do is run the same command but specify your switch folder: sudo chflags -R arch /Volume/[SDcardname]/switch

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
DO NOT 'chflags -R arch' on the root of your SD card, you will damage your installed game (error message when trying to run your games installed on SD card). Doing 'noarch' again to the 'Nintendo' folder WON'T fix them.

Only apply 'arch' on the 'switch' folder (or any other folder you need EXCEPT 'Nintendo').

Myron49485

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
@Klodeckel1990 I don't know how these commands work, but if you can update your guide to use these commands to "set" the archive bit for items inside the "registered" folder, and "unset" for everything else (including the "registered" folder itself), then this should work for everyone. I can also redirect my guide to here as it would be much better than using Windows to fix our Mac problems.

morrison22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT 'chflags -R arch' on the root of your SD card, you will damage your installed game (error message when trying to run your games installed on SD card). Doing 'noarch' again to the 'Nintendo' folder WON'T fix them.

Only apply 'arch' on the 'switch' folder (or any other folder you need EXCEPT 'Nintendo').

This is exactly opposite of the original post. What is the correct way?

So on a Mac is this all that needs to be done?
"sudo chflags -R arch /Volume/Untitled/switch"
then i can unmount and I'm good to go?

I am trying to find out what exactly is the correct way and any other required steps.

Last edited by morrison22,

dustyranch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This is exactly opposite of the original post. What is the correct way?

So on a Mac is this all that needs to be done?
"sudo chflags -R arch /Volume/Untitled/switch"
then i can unmount and I'm good to go?

I am trying to find out what exactly is the correct way and any other required steps.

Did you ever find out?

I am running SX OS 1.9 with a 128GB exFat formatted card, and every time I connect my SD card to any of my macs, it corrupts my (tinfoil) installed NSPs.

Each time I am running the below commands in terminal to no avail:

sudo chflags -R arch /Volumes/nameOfMyCard/switch/
dot_clean /Volumes/nameOfMyCard
diskutil umountDisk /Volumes/nameOfMyCard

The only thing I can do to get them to work is to also do:

rm -rf /Volumes/nameOfMyCard/Nintendo

And then reinstall all the NSPs via Tinfoil again, but this is a bit of a nuisance to have to do every time I need to mount my SD card to my computer.

Am I missing something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night