How to disable internet on your own PC secretly?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by quepaso, Oct 28, 2009.

Oct 28, 2009
  1. quepaso
    OP

Member quepaso GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a laptop running XP that i use for when im in the backyard poolside, but when large amounts of people come over, they use the laptop like its a toy and ive had a few mishaps with it. I'd like to double click something and disable internet on the laptop and double click another to re-enable it. Ive tried renaming the hosts file, even the entire etc directory, but internet keeps working regardless. I dont want to install special software or disable wireless on my router, because the wii uses that. I thought that putting the router ip in the hosts file would do it, but it keeps working. Any help would be appreciated.

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    You could try MAC address filtering to block your laptop, seems simple enough really.

3. quepaso
    OP

Member quepaso GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I dont want to make it look like i am disabling the internet on purpose. Anyhow, i figured it out. Using the command line sc, i can disable dhcp. So i wrote a command prompt disabling it and one enabling it and hit them out of the way, and i can stop/re-start internet on the laptop without anyone being the wiser. BTW, man you are fast! I came here to delete the post and there was already a reply!