ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing a lot of homebrew and pretty much enjoying them. I've also been wishing a lot of homebrew exists that doesn't and then it came to me....Why not create my own homebrew. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't I need some C++ experience (I have a C++ for dummies book). Other than that, what else would I need to write my own homebrew.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
You are going to need more than a for dummies book. That I can tell you. Im no programmer so I cant say much beyond that.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You need to know:
-C++
You need to have:
-devkitARM
(If you want to make DS GAMES you should have):
-DSGM (DS game maker, must installed devKIT ARM first)

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
azure0wind said:
You don't really need that one, but it will make stuff easier. You must pay 12 bucks for the Pro Edition, which you really need, because you can't make good games without Pro.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Berthenk said:
azure0wind said:
You don't really need that one, but it will make stuff easier. You must pay 12 bucks for the Pro Edition, which you really need, because you can't make good games without Pro.
yea, i dont really like to use that either. i think i saw someone @ temp who create program like DSGM too... but i forget
frown.gif
anyway learn C++ and installed devkitARM first if you want to make Homebrew.
wink.gif

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
azure0wind said:
Berthenk said:
azure0wind said:
yea, i dont really like to use that either. i think i saw someone @ temp who create program like DSGM too... but i forget
frown.gif
anyway learn C++ and installed devkitARM first if you want to make Homebrew.
wink.gif
Wasn't it... Skullcollecter(tor?)...? He used to make threads about a game and make another thread about another game a day after...

Anyway, making DS homebrew is pretty hard, so I'd advise you to start with PAlib.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hm...maybe I should try learning a little bit of how to homebrew xD...but I hate learning how to code, so is there any place with a myriad of examples (that have the source I can look at obviously xD)?
The best I have ever done with DS homebrew = Hello World copy/pasted from the PAlib beginner's tutorial xD.

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
jurassicplayer said:
Hm...maybe I should try learning a little bit of how to homebrew xD...but I hate learning how to code, so is there any place with a myriad of examples (that have the source I can look at obviously xD)?
The best I have ever done with DS homebrew = Hello World copy/pasted from the PAlib beginner's tutorial xD.
+1
i never made any homebrews too. because learning C++ is VERY hard.
tongue.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Koetje said:
Weird question, but it their a way to code in VB for DS?

QUOTE(SifJar @ Apr 26 2010, 03:07 PM) No.

It might be possible if someone manned up to make a toolchain/library for it. But most likely the visual part would be left out...and Visual Basic without the visual is just...basic...which isn't very powerful.

As for OP, if you're having trouble understanding C++ with just a for dummies book then good luck writing your own homebrew. It only gets more complicated from here on out.

Here's a guide for making homebrew on the DS, it's somewhat dated but it should get the job done:
http://patater.com/files/projects/manual/manual.html

Too bad there isn't a complete library for Java, we might get some more awesome applications on the DS then
frown.gif

jeremy506

Some dude.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Berthenk said:
Wasn't it... Skullcollecter(tor?)...? He used to make threads about a game and make another thread about another game a day after...
Anyway, making DS homebrew is pretty hard, so I'd advise you to start with PAlib.

Yes it was me and the program was called NDSCreator. It simplifies things a bit, and you still need to know C/C++.
I still have no idea why people still say "gettt DDSGM it rox for makin gamezz", when it is actually easier to code yourself.

PAlib is the most popular DS lib, but LibNDS and others are great, too. NitroEngine, even, and OpenGL for 3D games.

EDIT: The NDSCreator link ain't work.

-Alex

xakota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a computer science major and will be learning C++ in a few semesters.
Does anyone know where I can look at the source code of any DS homebrew? That would probably help me a lot.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
xakota said:
Does anyone know where I can look at the source code of any DS homebrew? That would probably help me a lot.
IMO, you should just try to learn C++ as soon as possible (no point in procrastinating on something you are going to be using for a long while). That question about having source code around was the same question I asked xD (but nobody replied to me). A couple things that might be useful to look at might be some of the stuff at the PAlib site (there are some bits of source code around there), a couple homebrew off the top of my head with source codes would be Xenon++'s stuff, NitroTracker (this one might be interesting, and its up for improvements as well), VNDS, Warcraft Tower Defense, and TouhouDS. I'm guessing DSOrganize would be ok to check out, although the source code is kind of old...Xenon++ couldn't even find the sound library for it.

(I never did like having short replies...)

xakota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
xakota said:
IMO, you should just try to learn C++ as soon as possible (no point in procrastinating on something you are going to be using for a long while). That question about having source code around was the same question I asked xD (but nobody replied to me). A couple things that might be useful to look at might be some of the stuff at the PAlib site (there are some bits of source code around there), a couple homebrew off the top of my head with source codes would be Xenon++'s stuff, NitroTracker (this one might be interesting, and its up for improvements as well), VNDS, Warcraft Tower Defense, and TouhouDS. I'm guessing DSOrganize would be ok to check out, although the source code is kind of old...Xenon++ couldn't even find the sound library for it.

(I never did like having short replies...)

The reason I can't learn C++ for that long is because i have to take the lower level languages and Data Structures as a prerequisite.

But thanks, I'll be sure to look into that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER