How to create my own homebrew

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by JinTrigger, Apr 26, 2010.

Apr 26, 2010
  1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    I've been playing a lot of homebrew and pretty much enjoying them. I've also been wishing a lot of homebrew exists that doesn't and then it came to me....Why not create my own homebrew. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't I need some C++ experience (I have a C++ for dummies book). Other than that, what else would I need to write my own homebrew.

2. impizkit

Member impizkit Lazy Lurker

Australia
    You are going to need more than a for dummies book. That I can tell you. Im no programmer so I cant say much beyond that.

3. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    I figured as much, which is why I'm asking. It'd be something constructive for me to do when I'm bored.

4. azure0wind

Member azure0wind 7 years flew so fast.

Indonesia
    You need to know:
    -C++
    You need to have:
    -devkitARM
    (If you want to make DS GAMES you should have):
    -DSGM (DS game maker, must installed devKIT ARM first)

5. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    You don't really need that one, but it will make stuff easier. You must pay 12 bucks for the Pro Edition, which you really need, because you can't make good games without Pro.

6. azure0wind

Indonesia
    yea, i dont really like to use that either. i think i saw someone @ temp who create program like DSGM too... but i forget [​IMG].
    anyway learn C++ and installed devkitARM first if you want to make Homebrew. [​IMG]

7. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Wasn't it... Skullcollecter(tor?)...? He used to make threads about a game and make another thread about another game a day after...

Anyway, making DS homebrew is pretty hard, so I'd advise you to start with PAlib.

8. JinTrigger
    OP

United States
    cool thank you....other than my for dummies book is there any good wat to go about learning C++

9. azure0wind

Indonesia
  10. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Hm...maybe I should try learning a little bit of how to homebrew xD...but I hate learning how to code, so is there any place with a myriad of examples (that have the source I can look at obviously xD)?
    The best I have ever done with DS homebrew = Hello World copy/pasted from the PAlib beginner's tutorial xD.

11. azure0wind

Indonesia
    +1
    i never made any homebrews too. because learning C++ is VERY hard. [​IMG]

12. Koetje

Newcomer Koetje Member

Belgium
    Weird question, but it their a way to code in VB for DS?

13. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
  14. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    It might be possible if someone manned up to make a toolchain/library for it. But most likely the visual part would be left out...and Visual Basic without the visual is just...basic...which isn't very powerful.

As for OP, if you're having trouble understanding C++ with just a for dummies book then good luck writing your own homebrew. It only gets more complicated from here on out.

Here's a guide for making homebrew on the DS, it's somewhat dated but it should get the job done:
    http://patater.com/files/projects/manual/manual.html

Too bad there isn't a complete library for Java, we might get some more awesome applications on the DS then [​IMG]

15. jeremy506

Member jeremy506 Some dude.

Nauru
    Yes it was me and the program was called NDSCreator. It simplifies things a bit, and you still need to know C/C++.
    I still have no idea why people still say "gettt DDSGM it rox for makin gamezz", when it is actually easier to code yourself.

PAlib is the most popular DS lib, but LibNDS and others are great, too. NitroEngine, even, and OpenGL for 3D games.

EDIT: The NDSCreator link ain't work.

-Alex

16. xakota

Member xakota GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm a computer science major and will be learning C++ in a few semesters.
    Does anyone know where I can look at the source code of any DS homebrew? That would probably help me a lot.

17. jeremy506

Member jeremy506 Some dude.

Nauru
  18. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    IMO, you should just try to learn C++ as soon as possible (no point in procrastinating on something you are going to be using for a long while). That question about having source code around was the same question I asked xD (but nobody replied to me). A couple things that might be useful to look at might be some of the stuff at the PAlib site (there are some bits of source code around there), a couple homebrew off the top of my head with source codes would be Xenon++'s stuff, NitroTracker (this one might be interesting, and its up for improvements as well), VNDS, Warcraft Tower Defense, and TouhouDS. I'm guessing DSOrganize would be ok to check out, although the source code is kind of old...Xenon++ couldn't even find the sound library for it.

(I never did like having short replies...)

19. Xenon++

Member Xenon++ Taiju Yamada

Japan
    DSOrganize source code is incomplete so not recommended at all. I recommend MoonShell Simply (modified MoonShell(whose source was also incomplete but I managed to put Morningtimer's source) 1.71.1 compilable on Linux).
    Anyway due to incompleteness the DPG playback is bad, but better than DSO

20. xakota

Member xakota GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The reason I can't learn C++ for that long is because i have to take the lower level languages and Data Structures as a prerequisite.

But thanks, I'll be sure to look into that.