Tutorial  Updated

How to combine updates with your game

Before we begin, very important note:

1. This tutorial is for firmware <=9.2
    However, if you're able to get the romfs and exefs decrypted from other sites, it'll serve your purpose.
  2. The example I'm using is for Pokemon
  3. If you set HANs to a different region from your 3DS, you won't be able to connect online :(
  4. This is primarily for game-breaking patches, rather than online use.
  5. Make sure you're using the newest of newest HANs, the one that allows eshop use for uses under FW10.

Other tutorials you'll need to refer to:

Decrypting and extracting CIA
Decrypting and extracting Rom

Step 1:
Decrypt and extract the Update CIA. (you can find it on a certain site, don't ask)
Make sure you extract the exefs/code.bin option and get a .code.bin file. (it is gonna be around 5312 KB)

Rename this .code.bin from the Update file as <Title ID>.code
Example: 0011C500.code

You're also going to need the extracted romfs folder from the update file.

Step 2:
Extract the romfs from the game.

Step 3:
Paste the romfs from the update file into the romfs of the game.
When it prompts, replace everything.

Step 4:
Rebuild romfs as a single file.
Name it as <Title ID>.romfs
Example: 0011C500.romfs

Step 5:
Create a hans folder on the root of your SD card.
(Example sd:/hans DO NOT TOUCH THE HANS FOLDER IN THE 3DS FOLDER)

Step 6:
Copy both the .code and .romfs file into the sd:/hans

Step 7:
Launch the game in HANs,
Set the region to be same region as your 3DS
Set the code -> SD and romfs -> SD to Yes

Proof (of sorts)
VpH9h90.png

IFhYZPC.png

Don't ask me why Jeff is a female; not my cartridge.

Enjoy!
(such a pity, I wanted to connect to Korean Pokemon Wifi; probably won't work because Secureinfo mismatch)

Special thanks:
Everyone who found and exploited the exploits
Gudenaurock's Layered FS guide that gave me the idea
Asia81's tutorial allowed for me to do the test.

Last edited by Queno138,

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not able to connect either with the update romfs merged, but I get 003-2103 or 001-0502 errors so it might be my internet connection being shitty here^^ Anyway, if anyone has managed to access XYORAS online using HANS, I'd really apreciate that person to explain what trick she used^^

Okay, so I used a different internet connection and those error codes are gone : now the game freezes whenever I try to connect the internet or redeem mystery gift by code (redeem via internet works fine though).

Had a though time understanding OP's tutorial so here's what I did :
  1. Use braindump to extract my OR files (exefs.bin & romfs.bin) and got the decrypted update files on previous page (DecryptedExeFS/RomFS/ExHeader.bin, didn't care about Exheader)
  2. Downloaded & extracted Asia81's Hack pack & put update files in the "packhack" folder.
  3. Extracted those files : Run "HackingToolkit.exe" > type "fs" > "exefs" > "yes" (extracts DecryptedExeFS.bin) then "fs" > romfs (extracts DecryptedRomFS.bin).
  4. Moved both resulting folders ("exe" and "romfs") away from packhack folder.
  5. Put OR files in the "packhack" folder, rename them as "DecryptedExeFS.bin" & "DecryptedRomFS.bin" & repeat step 3.
  6. Update's "exe" folder has a ".code.bin" file in it > Rename it "0011C400.code" & put it in a new folder named "hans"
  7. Paste Update's "romfs" folder content into the game's "romfs" folder & agree to replace everything.
  8. Build a romfs.bin file from the merged folder : Run HackingToolkit.exe again > "RFSB" > Clcik on "Open" & select your "romfs" folder > Go. When prompted, save this as "0011C400.romfs" alongside with "0011C400.code" in the "hans" folder.
  9. Put that "hans" folder at the root of my SD card, then launch HANS and select both Code -> SD and RomFS -> SD to YES.

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How do I combine the Yo-kai Watch update? The update has a file named yw1_a.fa (23mb).
The game dump has the same file, yw1_a.fa, but this one is larger (368mb), so I can't just replace it with the update's one.

Acryt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I combine the Yo-kai Watch update? The update has a file named yw1_a.fa (23mb).
The game dump has the same file, yw1_a.fa, but this one is larger (368mb), so I can't just replace it with the update's one.
It probably doesn't work, we don't really have any true confirmations of 100% working for any game.

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The code.bin has to be modified somehow to get through the error screen (invalidated icache)
Don't know for MK7, but when I got "invalidated cache" error with my OR update patch, it was because Ididn't extract my .code.bin correctly (Forgot to decompress the exefs). Are you sure yours is good ?

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Don't know for MK7, but when I got "invalidated cache" error with my OR update patch, it was because Ididn't extract my .code.bin correctly (Forgot to decompress the exefs). Are you sure yours is good ?
As for me, I tried it both ways and it didn't work. I think it just isn't gonna work for some games...

SunHans

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I followed these steps on my Pokémon AS (SPA-USA):
Okay, so I used a different internet connection and those error codes are gone : now the game freezes whenever I try to connect the internet or redeem mystery gift by code (redeem via internet works fine though).

Had a though time understanding OP's tutorial so here's what I did :
  1. Use braindump to extract my OR files (exefs.bin & romfs.bin) and got the decrypted update files on previous page (DecryptedExeFS/RomFS/ExHeader.bin, didn't care about Exheader)
  2. Downloaded & extracted Asia81's Hack pack & put update files in the "packhack" folder.
  3. Extracted those files : Run "HackingToolkit.exe" > type "fs" > "exefs" > "yes" (extracts DecryptedExeFS.bin) then "fs" > romfs (extracts DecryptedRomFS.bin).
  4. Moved both resulting folders ("exe" and "romfs") away from packhack folder.
  5. Put OR files in the "packhack" folder, rename them as "DecryptedExeFS.bin" & "DecryptedRomFS.bin" & repeat step 3.
  6. Update's "exe" folder has a ".code.bin" file in it > Rename it "0011C400.code" & put it in a new folder named "hans"
  7. Paste Update's "romfs" folder content into the game's "romfs" folder & agree to replace everything.
  8. Build a romfs.bin file from the merged folder : Run HackingToolkit.exe again > "RFSB" > Clcik on "Open" & select your "romfs" folder > Go. When prompted, save this as "0011C400.romfs" alongside with "0011C400.code" in the "hans" folder.
  9. Put that "hans" folder at the root of my SD card, then launch HANS and select both Code -> SD and RomFS -> SD to YES.

and I can confirm the same: My game freezes when I try to connect with the PSS and the Mystery Gift via code but I could receive the Zoroark event successfully on wifi.

This is my game capture with the merged update:
AGzJlFU.png

Last edited by SunHans,

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
Can I use Void decryptor? Decrypt9 doesnt seem to work with me. It just flashes red on the lower screen and goes back to homebrew launcher.

Acryt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so just FYI i'm not sure how "soon" a fix might happen. the issue is actually with hax 2.5, there is a prototype that loads updates fine but it has other issues. debugging those is non-trivial and due to the fact that i have big changes in mind for 3.0 which might make those useless, i'm not sure it'd be worth it to do a hotfix for it now instead of just waiting for 3.0. so not sure what's going to happen, we'll see.
This from Smealum on github
https://github.com/smealum/HANS/issues/3

Issue seems to be with Hax2.5, rather than HANS itself. So it's most likely no matter what we can't get this to work until Smealum does his magic.

Last edited by Acryt,
Reactions: plushifoxed

Spatchy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The code.bin has to be modified somehow to get through the error screen (invalidated icache)

As for me, I tried it both ways and it didn't work. I think it just isn't gonna work for some games...

This from Smealum on github
https://github.com/smealum/HANS/issues/3

Issue seems to be with Hax2.5, rather than HANS itself. So it's most likely no matter what we can't get this to work until Smealum does his magic.

the good news is that HANS is now open source which means hopefully some clever person can fix it, that is unless it really is an issue with hax2.5...

Baggy Scraggy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe this works with Smash Bros. I tried it with update 1.1.3 and an exception occurred when trying to run the game. There's a file in the update that is also in the base game that is significantly smaller, so when you merge the romfs folder into the base romfs folder, it makes the entirety of the folder about 500 MB smaller than it was originally. Is there a fix for this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work