How rare is a Nintendo GameCube with Digital AV out?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I own a OG Gamecube that was gifted to me in xmas 2002.
It has Digital and Analog AV OUT and my cube it's been unused since 2007.

Reason is because it began to have reading problems that would let you play a game for like 15 minutes before throwing a black screen with the following message: "An Error has ocurred. Please check the Instruction Booklet for more information". I'm aware of it being a laser defect (maybe?)... if I replace it/fix it... how exactly would a Gamecube with Digital AV OUT would be worth nowadays?

Are those rare or something?

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I own a OG Gamecube that was gifted to me in xmas 2002.
It has Digital and Analog AV OUT and my cube it's been unused since 2007.

Reason is because it began to have reading problems that would let you play a game for like 15 minutes before throwing a black screen with the following message: "An Error has ocurred. Please check the Instruction Booklet for more information". I'm aware of it being a laser defect (maybe?)... if I replace it/fix it... how exactly would a Gamecube with Digital AV OUT would be worth nowadays?

Are those rare or something?
The majority of Gamecubes have digital out. DOL-001 (original revision) sold from 2001 to 2004 and DOL-101 (no digital out) from 2004 to 2007. By 2004, Nintendo had sold 14.7 million units on Europe and US alone of the total 21.74 million worldwide it would ever sell.

If it's only a reading problem, you can replace the laser or the disk drive entirely. You can find the laser alone for less than €20/$20, the disk drive point to €55/$60, a whole console I can find starting at around €80/$90.

A Picoboot solution with an SD2SP2 adapter on the other hand, where you can make your Gamecube read games from a microSD card (and still use any functionality you have left on your disk drive or replace it as well), should set you back for less than €10/$10, minus soldering equipment and microSD card itself.

Last edited by pustal,
Reactions: JuanMena

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm currently trying to get rid of it and didn't wanted to give it away for a low price, but now that I know it's nothing special, I guess I can let it go without worries.

Thanks!

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've owned at least 10 Gamecubes, and I don't think I've ever had one without a digital out. 10~15 years ago Thriftstores had tons of Gamecubes for cheap.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm currently trying to get rid of it and didn't wanted to give it away for a low price, but now that I know it's nothing special, I guess I can let it go without worries.

Thanks!
Game prices seem to be through the roof though. With time, the console itself might increase in price as well. Game Boy prices skyrocketed in 2021. The Gamecube is not as iconic as the Game Boy but scarcity will only grow with time.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Game prices seem to be through the roof though. With time, the console itself might increase in price as well. Game Boy prices skyrocketed in 2021. The Gamecube is not as iconic as the Game Boy but scarcity will only grow with time.
I don't think people will be looking for a laser less GameCube in the future.
With GBA it's understandable given all the dumb mods that's been rising in popularity (hUuuuur I turned my gba into a lower screen ds)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think people will be looking for a laser less GameCube in the future.
With GBA it's understandable given all the dumb mods that's been rising in popularity (hUuuuur I turned my gba into a lower screen ds)
Someone will probably drop an ODE or drive replacement before too terribly long, and plenty have been enjoying the SD adapters as well.

Give or take the analogue pocket and other FPGA emulation/simulation efforts the GB with GB player (which the homebrew things can happily boot) also represent the best hardware method of playing GBA games as well.

Granted said GB player is probably the main reason to go for it over a GC supporting* wii (easy fancy video cables vs expensive digital stuff, larger DVDs, easy mods...).

*I find it amusing I have to make the distinction but I suppose I do if I am going to the levels of pedantry elsewhere. Generally I find the GC port less Wiis to be rare though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Why not with coffee