Hacking How many did the SSBB update 100%?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i updated 100%, didnt feel like burning 2 dvd's. Also i didnt want to risk bricking my wii. Turning off wii while upgrading firmware, doesnt seem very safe or smart. I have duplicate channels of news and weather (which i moved to 4th page). Everything else seems perfectly fine. I have NTSC-U wii. It had the newest US firmware before i upgraded

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
15% is much safer. just think about it. you can update over it with the same firmware in your own region, and we know that because it asks us when we put the original/backup disc in. doing the 100% update will possibly screw it up in the future. you are all left in the dark about it...

Hideous

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I did the 15% thing with Galaxy back in the day, but for some reason, BrickBlocked didn't work at all yesterday, so I did 100%. No complications, only double channels.

I'm on PAL and a WiiKey 1.9g.

CPOStudios

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cpostudios.com
XP
Country
United States
15% is much safer. just think about it. you can update over it with the same firmware in your own region, and we know that because it asks us when we put the original/backup disc in. doing the 100% update will possibly screw it up in the future. you are all left in the dark about it...

Stop preaching 15%. Every time someone mentions 100%, you retort. You have absolutely no idea what the update is doing on the progress bar. Maybe 0-15% it's adding dual layer/Smash support, and 16%-100% it is working on the channels. The channels can't harm your Wii, but maybe stopping at 15% corrupts some element of the firmware that affects the Wii later. YOU DON'T KNOW. Everyone is risking it equally. If you don't give a damn about double channels (like me, I have yet to buy a virtual console game, I use messaging, settings, Mii, photos, and disc reader, that's it), go for 100%.

Nintendo isn't going to use dual channels to detect a mod chip. Mod chips can be used legally, so dual channels means nothing to them.

If you go for 15%, that's fine too. But honestly, none of us know what is happening to our system after the update, all we know is that it stays 3.1U, and it adds unusable Japanese software (News and Weather, 100% method).

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After doing the 100% update my firmware still shows as 3.1 U (no J). So i guess it only add Dual Layer support, and the two channels, no actual firmware changes or doesnt change the version of the firmware

Dingler

Trophies
XP
Country
But if the update makes the Wii able to read Dual Layer, wouldn't that mean, that people who did the 15% trick, wont be able to play the actual game when its dumped (actually they wont even be able to play the original)?

Mister Piggums

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a NTSC-U Wii.. updated the 100% method.. Have dual channels, but the game works perfect.

Also, once SSBB is released in the states/EU, you can always just copy any save data you wish to keep to an SD card, then format Wii memory and it'll get rid of the dual channels. Or so i've heard.

hackeruk

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a NTSC-U Wii.. updated the 100% method.. Have dual channels, but the game works perfect.

Also, once SSBB is released in the states/EU, you can always just copy any save data you wish to keep to an SD card, then format Wii memory and it'll get rid of the dual channels. Or so i've heard.

how do you do that?

markish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

You cant copy your save files as they're protected.
frown.gif

CPOStudios

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cpostudios.com
XP
Country
United States
But if the update makes the Wii able to read Dual Layer, wouldn't that mean, that people who did the 15% trick, wont be able to play the actual game when its dumped (actually they wont even be able to play the original)?

Well, here's what the theory is: the beginning of the update adds dual layer Smash support. So when you shut off your Wii, it has the dual layer support. Smash only prompts the update if it thinks it needs dual layer support, so people who shut off at 15% have dual layer support. So, in theory, a dual layer game works on 15% method. I don't know anyone who has tested it, most people with the single layer version don't actually have a copy of the game.

Someone should try that now, just to see if it works. I just wonder what reformatting would do with the dual layer part of the firmware.

Also: he's not talking about saving Smash data, he's talking about a backup, reformat to kill double channels. Smash data is useless assuming you buy the version of your region, JPN saves don't translate to US/EU saves, as far as I know.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
The Wii has allways could read DL discs.
Its the drive that limites that not the firmware.
And wont be a big problem since you would get the update again with the US release.

Zanken

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess it would be interesting to see how much of the update is relevant to the DL DVDs when people start getting hold of the DVD9 version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo