Hacking How many "bad" AK2's are being sold?

Rice923

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the bad batch thing has been going on for a while now, but mine came to me without a problem. As I've been reading along this forum, it seems that many people are receiving a poorly built malfunctioning AK2. Is it still worth it to get an AK2 at this moment? Or should I just go ahead and get the DSTT?

kirby145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a high percentage at a certain date then they seemed to fix it, according to someone on DX before Jun 10 everything was bad, now we don't know exactly when the "new batch" came out but Ultra guide stickers seem to show it and nothing bad has yet been reported of new batches.

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OzModChips stated on their website before that they had a failure rate of about 5-10%. But the acekard team said they have made a change to the hardware to combat this problem.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought a AK2 at Mod Central. He said his latest batch as been 100% good - no returns so far. He mentioned something about his next order would probably have some bad cards though.

Mai_Andie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my AceKard from DX early July. No problems to report!

gbasp.gif

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
According to OzModChips, there was a failure rate of 5-10%, however they have also said that the most recent batch has had no failures, and team AK said they made changes to the hardware.

So it should be fixed by now. DX probably have a huge turnover of AKs, so they will probably have it fixed too.

Just don't get a DSTT! - Well, you can if you want, but the menu is extremely slow, and doesn't look as nice either.

Gharakh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got mine this week from Modchipcentral and it works great. Ordered Tuesday, July 15th, got it Thursday. Happy with everything!

Rice923

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so I ended up ordering the DSTT anyways, because my friend asked for that one. He seems to have little trust in AK's quality control after seeing this forum (past month or so). Thanks for the input everyone.

PS. I have an AK2 already, and its great!

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
Still non back from the new batch - aboout 100 sold now (sales are slow now for this as the word of their issues get around)

Still getting some back from 3 months ago...Either people don't play their DS much, or maybe they will all come back
frown.gif

The new batch has this little white sticker on the PCB, its some Chinese symbol (you need to open it up to see it)

Fingers crossed.

GaveUpTomorrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joey90 said:
According to OzModChips, there was a failure rate of 5-10%, however they have also said that the most recent batch has had no failures, and team AK said they made changes to the hardware.

So it should be fixed by now. DX probably have a huge turnover of AKs, so they will probably have it fixed too.

Just don't get a DSTT! - Well, you can if you want, but the menu is extremely slow, and doesn't look as nice either.

I just got the DSTT and I love it. While the menu was laggy when formated on FAT32, formatting the card to FAT will remove all lag. I'm using a 4gb Kingston Class 4 card, and it is full (w/ 100mb left), all the roms in one folder and I get no lag at all. You can make the layout a lot more appealing by adding a custom skin as well. Overall, I feel the DSTT is a really great card at a good price.

GaveUpTomorrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM Troll said:
Are you using Windows 98, NT, or Vista to format 4GB at FAT(16); or a third party tool perhaps?

I used Vista to format my 4gb Micro SDHC card to FAT(16). The Allocation unit size was kept to the default 64kb size. I was a little surprised that the card performed so well just by doing this as it seems that others still have lag unless they have a class 6 card. Many people seem to think that you need to have a smaller number of games or homebrew on the card for it not to lag, but my situation proves that this isn't needed.

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format type and cluster size definitely matters. The bottom line on cluster size is the larger the cluster the faster performance at a cost of space. A 180KB file will be allocated 3x 64KB clusters for a total of 192KB. 180KB of the 192KB is used so only 12KB is wasted. A 1KB file will be allocated 1x 64KB cluster so 63KB is wasted. Compare this to using a 32KB cluster size; only 31KB will be wasted on the allocated space for that 1KB file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill