Hacking Question How likely am I to be banned?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
A game update does not ban you.

Well...that depends. Say that you install a NSP backup that you did not buy, then you update that game via official means(E-Shop). That can very well get you banned as it would be proof enough that you'r pirating. Though how a game would update automatically while one is in airplane mode is beyond me

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well...that depends. Say that you install a NSP backup that you did not buy, then you update that game via official means(E-Shop). That can very well get you banned as it would be proof enough that you'r pirating. Though how a game would update automatically while one is in airplane mode is beyond me
E-Shop is ONLINE. Don’t go ONLINE and there is no E-Shop and No Ban.

Last edited by thorasgar,
Reactions: Canna

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how much it applies here, but my 3DS has been using CFW since Fall 2016 with reckless abandon online. I did turn off spotpass and the ability for friends to see what I'm playing, but my activity logs are dirty AF, I use FBI and used to use freeshop quite normally, and all as CIAs. No "stealth mode". Still not banned.

I'm not saying I did anything to prevent it, I'm not saying I'm safe, and again it may not apply to Switch. The real moral of the story is to just accept that a ban may or may not be coming, Nintendo is inconsistent. By hacking at all, you've risked it. But you can't change the past. Just try not to do the insta-ban things like CDNs and Cheating, and enjoy your CFW.

That said, I will wait until we know more about their methods because I want to Smash online.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Somebody forgot to disable auto updates. Or maybe you screwed up elsewhere and didn't notice.

But even if you have auto updates on, wouldn't you actually need to be connected to a network for the update to actually download?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not sure how much it applies here, but my 3DS has been using CFW since Fall 2016 with reckless abandon online. I did turn off spotpass and the ability for friends to see what I'm playing, but my activity logs are dirty AF, I use FBI and used to use freeshop quite normally, and all as CIAs. No "stealth mode". Still not banned.

I'm not saying I did anything to prevent it, I'm not saying I'm safe, and again it may not apply to Switch. The real moral of the story is to just accept that a ban may or may not be coming, Nintendo is inconsistent. By hacking at all, you've risked it. But you can't change the past. Just try not to do the insta-ban things like CDNs and Cheating, and enjoy your CFW.

That said, I will wait until we know more about their methods because I want to Smash online.

The security on the 3ds was lax to say the least, it's why Freeshop worked for as long as it did. The security on the Switch however is much more tight and it's been retroactively applied to the 3DS too

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But even if you have auto updates on, wouldn't you actually need to be connected to a network for the update to actually download?
I believe the data is pre-downloaded while you were online somewhere else. I had a similar experience when trying to stay on 4.x, I turned all wifi off on the system but still got prompts to update to the new firmware. It's downloaded but not installed until you click the prompt

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I believe the data is pre-downloaded while you were online somewhere else. I had a similar experience when trying to stay on 4.x, I turned all wifi off on the system but still got prompts to update to the new firmware. It's downloaded but not installed until you click the prompt

Ohhhhhhhhh,ok, yeah that would make sense

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhhhhhhhh,ok, yeah that would make sense
Again, that only happens if you took the switch out of airplane mode. Airplane mode is required due to the dreaded Nintendo Hotspots. Public WiFi that has contracted with Nintendo to automatically connect. I have not seen proof the Switch uses them but they were a big problem on the 3DS. Stayed at an Emabssy Suites one time and forgot toggle WiFi off. Did not explicitly connect to the hotel WiFi but when I pulled the 3DS out of my luggage the update nag was there.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, that only happens if you took the switch out of airplane mode. Airplane mode is required due to the dreaded Nintendo Hotspots. Public WiFi that has contracted with Nintendo to automatically connect. I have not seen proof the Switch uses them but they were a big problem on the 3DS. Stayed at an Emabssy Suites one time and forgot toggle WiFi off. Did not explicitly connect to the hotel WiFi but when I pulled the 3DS out of my luggage the update nag was there.
The Switch does indeed use them. Its got hidden Wi-Fi settings we are unable to remove at the current time. Airplane Mode is highly recommended for people who don't want to go online and bring the Switch on the go.

Reactions: thorasgar

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In which firmware version they added this? Since launch? That would explain certain bans.

Joaoaug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I dont think that it works like that, because if i unlink an account that i have and dont delete the games of that account i would be banned when a game update came out...

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I dont think that it works like that, because if i unlink an account that i have and dont delete the games of that account i would be banned when a game update came out...

You'd have to connect online to get the update though. Meaning you'd have to link your account again

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"
@Joaoaug
Sir you need to do some more research budd
You'd have to connect online to get the update though. Meaning you'd have to link your account again
As for this ^
To all the new comers
You can download all games updates and dlc with a cdn Download client, like cdnsp gui bob
which files are in .nsp format..
You do not have to go online officially to get your updates, if you mess with your switch hack/run cfw/or homebrew you should not be going online at all.

Reactions: thorasgar

philo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My favorite thing about Nintendo Switch is the paranoia and fear it causes.. it's almost like the presidential election in USA...

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"
@Joaoaug
Sir you need to do some more research budd

As for this ^
To all the new comers
You can download all games updates and dlc with a cdn Download client, like cdnsp gui bob
which files are in .nsp format..
You do not have to go online officially to get your updates, if you mess with your switch hack/run cfw/or homebrew you should not be going online at all.

I am aware of this, i've used CDNSP bob GUI myself in the past. Hell earlier today i found out the current public cert had been banned. Didn't take long for a new one to be distributed though so. Maybe the word "have to" was not correct here

alucard_xs

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm wondering if AUTORCM ON or NSP = ban (included game update)
is there any cases of AUTORCM OFF + XCI use only = ban ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag