How is the Arctic melting?

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yes, yes i know GOOGLE IT! well i have but the only thing that comes up is 'ice caps melting faster'
i need to know what causes it green houses gases or something but could someone please explain to me what makes the Arctic Melt?

Thanks

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the emission of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere retain the heat from the sun, keeping the heat in the atmosphere. and we know ice melts near heat right? cause the gasses are retaining the heat efficiently, the global temperature is rising each year which is why the artic/antartic is melting.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just be careful. Read up on stuff like ozone, carbon dioxide, greenhouse gases(scientific fact sheets only), and various other things relating to basically how that carbon cycle goes the other guy said.

Be very careful though there are a lot of disinformation farms out there and nuts that just want to make you think 10ft worth of land globally will be consumed by the sea in like 10 years and that we're all murderers of the planet like Al Gore and other cranks. There's plenty of good info if you search. I'm sure wikipedia could help too as they don't tolerate crap, others clean it up, and everything has to get cited on there to stand.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Just be careful. Read up on stuff like ozone, carbon dioxide, greenhouse gases(scientific fact sheets only), and various other things relating to basically how that carbon cycle goes the other guy said.

Be very careful though there are a lot of disinformation farms out there and nuts that just want to make you think 10ft worth of land globally will be consumed by the sea in like 10 years and that we're all murderers of the planet like Al Gore and other cranks. There's plenty of good info if you search. I'm sure wikipedia could help too as they don't tolerate crap, others clean it up, and everything has to get cited on there to stand.
NO! Al Gore created the internetz so you can't trust any bit of it!

jk this is great info gl2u on finding great info.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Wikipedia is about the last place (after gbatemp) to get reliable information on climate change from.

Also people who would call respected scientists "cranks" are about the last people to take advice from (although gore is a prick, not sure if I'd call him a crack).

ZonMachi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically this is what happen. The glaciers obtain more thermal energy than normal because more electromagnetic waves is trapped in the earth by gasses reflecting it ( like carbon dioxide.) The glaciers gain enough thermal energy to change states of matter from solid to liquid. There are rivers of water formed from melted glacier parts flows. Eventually this river goes through and causes a chunk of the glacier to entirely fall of and become a iceberg. This melts faster from more thermal energy from the surrounding arctic waters.
tongue.gif
hope you learned something.

Monkee3000

Trophies
XP
Country
Earth still hasn`t fully exited the last ice age. We could be in an Interglacial period or at the end of this ice age.
Haven`t done any research, but seem to remember this from a while back.
I still think this problem could plunge earth either way.

Sorry forgot to answer the question.
The Polar Bears have been using their patio heaters too much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)