Hardware How I fixed 160-0103 system memory error

pulterbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Lazr1026 sorry that it took me so long to get back in touch with you. Here are the pictures of the slc nand chip Hope this helps.

Attachments

• PXL_20230409_114233568~2.jpg
    PXL_20230409_114233568~2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: Danook28

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here are the pictures of the slc nand
You're sure it's SLC and not MLC ? Also is this from a 8 or 32 GB Wii U ?

//EDIT: Finally found that chip but it doesn't make any sense to find such a chip inside of a Wii U (it's a 8 GB SLC). Was this console refurbished by some 3rd party company? it's a 1 GB SLC.

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: Danook28

Voultar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prototypes have arrived.

Fitment is excellent. The dimensions are precise and the PCB fits exactly as it should. The only minor tweak that I'm considering making is to the right leg of the PCB that attaches to the negative rail of that electrolytic capacitor to make it a little easier to solder. But ultimately, this is ready to rock and roll.

Anyone want to test?
20230410_141429.jpg

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Prototypes have arrived.

Fitment is excellent. The dimensions are precise and the PCB fits exactly as it should. The only minor tweak that I'm considering making is to the right leg of the PCB that attaches to the negative rail of that electrolytic capacitor to make it a little easier to solder. But ultimately, this is ready to rock and roll.

Anyone want to test?
View attachment 364125
That's awesome stuff, Voultar. You've done great mods in the past and I love how far you've progressed.

Danook28

Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
Prototypes have arrived.

Anyone want to test?
View attachment 364125
You can fix wiiu with no nand backup????

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can fix wiiu with no nand backup????
You see the D2, D1, D0, ... Solderpads at the prototype? These allow you to hardware dump your NAND (in case you're able to run the recovery menu a software dumper is in the works, too).

Fixing this corrupted image is another thing through. If that's possible hardly depends on the grade of corruption. Also there are things we can't fix right now but at least work around them (like corrupted folders: They aren't deleteable but a firmware reset wants to delete them, causing the firmware reset to crash).

Xerczese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prototypes have arrived.

Anyone want to test?
View attachment 364125
I have a WiiU that crashes on setup with the 160 error. I was going to go the traditional route but I would be happy totest if you want and I also live in same state as you

michalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Small question - I have moved all my games from NAND to USB. However, I have still several discs (not dumped) that I am planning to use. Will it work if I move disc install files from NAND to USB? Will it use only disc/usb combination without NAND? ;-)

Thanks!

Last edited by michalt,

marcellomls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Prototypes have arrived.

Anyone want to test?
View attachment 364125

Can I buy it here in Brazil to fix my wiiu that has a defective nand hynix?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So has anyone been able to identify WHY all these NANDs are suddenly failing, even when not being used for long periods? Did Nintendo skimp on quality control checks? Did the chip fabs skimp on QC? I wanna know who's at fault for this, what can be done to fix it in the long-term, and I feel like a class-action lawsuit is brewing over this.

Reactions: marcellomls

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Jayro Data is still beeing collected but so far it seems Hynix produced a single bad batch of chips and Nintendo used these.

This can happen anytime, anywhere and slip through QA quite easy (remember these chips worked for around 10 years now before showing issues. The expected lifetime was probably lower than this). Don't think you're able to sue anyone for this.

//EDIT: Long term fix is to replace the chip like described in this thread. Remember that all flash media will die sooner or later through, so maybe in 20+ years you'll have to apply the same fix again.

Last edited by V10lator,

marcellomls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nintendo should send a switch as a gift to all those who lost the wiiu due to the poor quality of the nand hynix, as it should be stated in the manual that the console could not be turned off for more than 1 year.

dustinrue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a BSOD Wii U that started with the 160-0103 error and just progressively got worse until the thing wouldn't even init the screen on boot. I hard mod'd it and was able to extract the MLC. What confuses me is that I got zero errors. This doesn't make sense as the error logs pulled using uhpid suggest it is a hardware error even on reads, but I get zero hardware errors when dumping the full MLC using dd on my computer.

Is there a method available today to simply init the MLC as empty? I assume that I can't simply dd the eMMC blank and the Wii U will magically format it on first boot (how did they do this in the factory?) but I'm just looking for some way to make this system run again at all. I have a replacement Wii U so I can do whatever on this one.

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a BSOD Wii U that started with the 160-0103 error and just progressively got worse until the thing wouldn't even init the screen on boot. I hard mod'd it and was able to extract the MLC. What confuses me is that I got zero errors. This doesn't make sense as the error logs pulled using uhpid suggest it is a hardware error even on reads, but I get zero hardware errors when dumping the full MLC using dd on my computer.
For me it was exactly the same. I read the emmc multiple times and some bits were just random. Like the ECC just gave up. Also my eMMC became read only and only after a blkdiscard it was writable again. Maybe you can check with a few bytes at the end.
Is there a method available today to simply init the MLC as empty? I assume that I can't simply dd the eMMC blank and the Wii U will magically format it on first boot
No that won't work. IOSU will just crash if it can't mount the MLC. Also the MLC contains part of the OS.
(how did they do this in the factory?)
Probably they have some installer on an SD, as boot0 supports loading from SD of correctly signed.
but I'm just looking for some way to make this system run again at all. I have a replacement Wii U so I can do whatever on this one.
Replace the eMMC with an SD, which was cloned from the eMMC or better replace it with another eMMC. After that the broken files can be replaced if udiph works again.

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)