Hacking How I broke my broken DS while fixing it

Cairpre

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be raging if i was trying to fix my DS and screwed something else up in the process! Without fixing what was the primary concern in the first place!

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's the exact same thing that happened to me!
The plastic off the power switch had come off once I put it back together.

So, I called Nintendo and told them some bullshit story and asked for a replacement.
They took the credit card number (no charge unless you fail to send your broken DS in) and sent me a new one.
3 days later - new DS Lite.

Why don't you do that?

D

Deleted User

I'm really good at trying to fix things and making them more broken, usually if it requires crazy glue. I'm really bad with crazy glue.

MartinAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.martinaustin.net
XP
Country
United States
That's the exact same thing that happened to me!
The plastic off the power switch had come off once I put it back together.

So, I called Nintendo and told them some bullshit story and asked for a replacement.
They took the credit card number (no charge unless you fail to send your broken DS in) and sent me a new one.
3 days later - new DS Lite.

Why don't you do that?

I would do that, except that my DS is flashed, and I do not have a no-flash card solution right now. So I would have to outlay more money.

At any rate, I'm doing fine with just the right shoulder button. At least I can still hold pieces in Tetris DS
smile.gif

Thanks for all the comments guys, at least my story has fostered some good discussion!

NotAgOat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started a mcdonalds boycott about 7 years ago, you should join it.

Good excuse to buy a brand new zelda ds lite.

windrider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wish I had read this thread earlier also. I managed to break off the plastic thing too off the power switch. I now have ordered a new one as we can't find the piece that broke off, or I would just glue it back on too.
I am not looking forward to having to solder it on though, as I am not that experienced with it.
I have took apart many a cell phone, ps2 etc, so thought for sure I could replace a touch screen.
Your right the video does mention the tricky parts at all. I found a couple sites with guided pictures and they do not mention it either.
I never thought of returning it or exchanging though so may try that.
Thanks for this thread and sure hope it helps others.

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FYI, original gameboy used phillips screws. I was in 5th grade when it came out, got it the day of released, and like every gadget i've ever owned, took it apart that night. phillips.

edit: ooh my new phillips 8gb mp3 player uses phillips screws, but my precision driver set didnt have anything small enough, so i used one of my jewelers. i took this apart christmas eve. yeah.
ph34r.gif

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even though i think i brought this "blow thing" to GBAtemp, i maybe didnt. I found out that blow trick when my new lite's L button was busted. I looked at the button, then looked passed it, then i shouted fhooey. I turned it on, cursing, then it worked.
I bought a lite because my phats L was busted.

Cactuar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered my nifty $4.58 tri-wing screwdriver off of ebay. In the past I've used a slightly filed down slot-blade screwdriver to open a Gameboy, but these days I use the right tool for the right job. I have a spare Black DS Lite that is fine except for the L&R buttons. L seems to have lost a bit of it's spring-loaded action, and then both buttons only work after I've blown air into the case (mentioned earlier in this article). I want to get to the bottom of this problem, since I know blowing moist, hot air into any electronic is bad news, and is very likely to cause a short.

Can anyone identify this switch? I believe it is an SMD Tact Switch, but that's just from what I've come to assume so far. If anyone knows where I can order these in small amounts (preferably 2 pcs.) please let me know, because I am only able to find these available from wholesalers.

ShadowStitch

Devilot's Tubtoy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, your best bet for finding those switches (if you can't find a small electronics hobby shop in your area that carries assorted kitsch components) is probably going to be finding something with those switches in it, and cannibalizing it to get to them.

Most cheapo dollar store type toys, especially ones that have a light up or sound gimmick, will have something like this inside of them. When I repaired my broken SP's shoulder button, I desoldered the surface mount pushbutton out of a laser pointer and used that.

Before you take drastic measures, however...take the DS apart, definitely give the guts a good cleaning, and check the button plunger -- if it's the softer type you can pull out, then pull it out and clean inside the socket, (like with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol) then push the plunger back in. Believe it or not, this fixed my DS Lite's shoulder button when it died again, after having sent it to Nintendo for repairs once already. Now it works like a champ again!

Cactuar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Shadowstitch. Since your button had the soft plunger type switch that means mine probably will too so I will try cleaning it first.

Romain

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hey, when I saw this topic I immediately recognized myself!

In fact, a few months ago my little brother inserted a compact flash into an old Supercard CF, but in the wrong side, which broke a pin connector, then when you insert this broken Supercard into a DS it blow a fuse, you can look over the forums there are tons of post reporting this issue, especially on www.scdev.org .

As he didn't understand why the DS was not powering on anymore, he tried my DS, and then my cousin's one. Yes, he blown up 3 DS only for a compact flash in the wrong side...

I searched on the internet, I understood the problem and I tried to fix it myself on his DS Lite this weekend: I opened up the case with a triwing ordered on eBay too, etc. I have not been able to repair the fuse since my soldering iron was very big so I went to a local electronic supplier and he did it for 2€ (yes, far cheaper than the 90€ asked by Nintendo!).

What the fuck? I lost the R shoulder during the operation! I can't find it anymore, I lost the shoulder button, the metallic axis and the tiny spring...

I saw on the internet people that are changing there DS cases, and there is buttons with the cases, so I could maybe have a case including the R button for 30€ but it's quite expensive just for a single button and I don't even know if there is the spring and the axis included! I don't think so..., so I'm fucked up with a DS lite without the L button?

If anyone have an answer, you're welcome to help me, it not, I hope you just enjoyed reading my poor story (sorry for my english
ohmy.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That sick boy yo