Hacking Question How easy is it to get banned

WrestlinFan

Currently jobbing to Kevin Nash
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to make up an answer just like all the other posters. Since no one has any idea what they are talking about since no one actually knows what Nintendo can or will ban for. I am going to stick with.
WE HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE AND ARE ALL JUST MAKING STUFF UP!!!!

And that's the way it will stay until someone peels apart any and all data sent back to nintendo and / or we have enough of a pattern of activity from nintendo to make more educated guesses.

Shame that you're just going to ignore all the insightful discussion just to have some complex.

Last edited by WrestlinFan,

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shame that you're just going to ignore all the insightful discussion just to have some complex.

If you are referring to insightful discussion in this thread. I didn't really see any that wasn't somewhat silly speculation. If you mean insightful discussion in OTHER threads, you should definitely link some of them here so we have a place to become educated. I was under the impression that there was not any substantiated or proven mechanisms, data, analysis, or reverse engineering to support discussion beyond speculation. If the discussion is purely speculation I stand by my (albeit somewhat harsh) comment before.

ShadyGame

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think unless you do something pretty stupid, like hacking online, playing backups, you will not get banned, if Nintendo bans you just for homebrew would be stupid on their part , they would be losing customers over nothing basically.

Iam sticking with homebrew, as much as I want to play backups I'll rather dont have my switch banned, because online is pretty important to me... But... Still a risk..but emulators are life xD

Good to know

Last edited by ShadyGame,
D

DeletedMember411838

I think unless you do something pretty stupid, like hacking online, playing backups, you will not get banned, if Nintendo bans you just for homebrew would be stupid on their part , they would be losing customers over nothing basically.

Iam sticking with homebrew, as much as I want to play backups I'll rather dont have my switch banned, because online is pretty important to me... But... Still a risk..but emulators are life xD

Good to know

Not really, the Homebrew community is very small, less than 5% of switch owners. However they are aiming for 100% online service subs, which doesn't work with cheaters, and software doesn't sell top pirates. Simple fact is the majority of Homebrewers are A. Pirates, B. Cheaters, Nintendo loses more money from letting them be around.

Of course I'm not saying all home brewers do that stuff, just the majority, and it only takes a few bad apples you know. Which lets also include the fact that while a moral grey area, Emulation is still 100% piracy, especially on Nintendo platforms where the games are re released and still supported.

So what reason aside from piracy or cheating is there to even Homebrew at all? (Of course I personally have no issue, with Cheating in single player games, it usually doesnt end there. I also dont care about Pirating or Emulation, but Nintendo does.)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Zumoly

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I'm kinda in the same boat.
I just want some homebrews / retro gaming on my Switch. And why would Nintendo interfere with this hobby of mine which I do on the very device I purchased if I don't bring it to their attention (modded save games online, downloading stuff off their server using homebrew, illegally playing a game I did not purchase via some backup loader)?

For my part I don't think Nintendo will ban me because I do homebrew on my console.

Hello Don't know if this is the place to post this but i was wandering if its easy to get banned I don't plan on hacking games but getting emulators. I've been thinking about hacking my switch but don't want to do it if there a high chance to get banned. Thanks

Chino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is going to crack down even harder because of the fact that they're going to be charging for online services. Even though I agree it's stupid to ban for homebrews and single player save editing, they're still going to do it to protect their IP.

Reactions: DeletedMember411838

MochaMilk

That one weird Furry Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man that's super disappointing to me.

I'm all for hacking consoles, heck, I hack just about every console I on, but cheating in a game and hacking your console are so very different things, and Nintendo really gotta step up their anti-cheat game. Or, well, I mean...do any anti-cheat at all.
I'm feeling reluctant to pay a monthly fee for online if the company I'm paying isn't even gonna work to ensure I have a good online experience.

To me, any kind of cheat that is used online should be an instant ban on everything. The console, the accounts data in the game should be wiped from the tables, even the NNID should be terminated, etc.
I jokingly hacked my Pokemon in ORAS to battle my friend that always beats me. I didn't think it would result in a ban since it was just one battle with a friend.
I got totally banned from doing any online activity, permanently. Yeah, it was a dumb thing to do, but jeez, it's not like it was anything drastic. I was so mad but thankfully I could reverse it. Forgot how, there was a guide on YouTube. Cheating on a game should result in a suspension. Like a three strike system. I feel that you should only be online, eshop, or console banned if you pirate a game.

But who would ever do something like that? :unsure:

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I jokingly hacked my Pokemon in ORAS to battle my friend that always beats me. I didn't think it would result in a ban since it was just one battle with a friend.
I got totally banned from doing any online activity, permanently. Yeah, it was a dumb thing to do, but jeez, it's not like it was anything drastic. I was so mad but thankfully I could reverse it. Forgot how, there was a guide on YouTube. Cheating on a game should result in a suspension. Like a three strike system. I feel that you should only be online, eshop, or console banned if you pirate a game.

But who would ever do something like that? :unsure:
I disagree.

Doesn't matter if you did it as a joke or not (nor should they have to give two fucks about how seriously someone cheats IMO.

funnyguywiiu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I simply won't hack my Switch so I can play games online etc., then when a new Nintendo console comes out, I'll put the Switch in offline mode permanently and play the collection of backups I've collected over time B-)

Last edited by funnyguywiiu,
D

DeletedMember411838

What Nintendo SHOULD do is just group all the hackers together so they can all enjoy a taste of their medicine. Playing only against other hackers will make you wish you were banned.

That would be very funny.

I could see the complaining now lol.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
What Nintendo SHOULD do is just group all the hackers together so they can all enjoy a taste of their medicine. Playing only against other hackers will make you wish you were banned.
That'd be too epic for Nintendo but an amazing idea.
Shadow-ban all banners so they can only ever play with other hackers (on really low resource servers cause they shouldn't give them shit).

Reactions: Draxzelex

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're gonna pay to play online then using a modded console is probably not a great idea. No matter what people keep saying about the 3DS, none of it is going to apply once paid online comes. Nintendo knows it's a good revenue stream and they are going to be cracking down hard on anything they can detect to avoid losing legit customers.

Reactions: DeletedMember411838
D

DeletedMember411838

If you're gonna pay to play online then using a modded console is probably not a great idea. No matter what people keep saying about the 3DS, none of it is going to apply once paid online comes. Nintendo knows it's a good revenue stream and they are going to be cracking down hard on anything they can detect to avoid losing legit customers.

Well lots of people got banned on 3DS as well, it was just that bans were able to be circumevented on 3DS, not the case with the Switch.

There does seem to have been a false sense of security and confidence inset from the past Nintendo consoles. I have 2 swicthes one for online and one for RCM, the clean one has never even been shorted.

All that guys shorting, and running home brew are unkowingly aying guinea pig, hopefully that doesn't bite them.

However I'm sure there will still be a decent eBay market for banned switches. I reckon there is alot of people that plan on running home brew or don't plan on paying online that would love a discounted banned switch.

Last edited by ,

Chino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then again, Nintendo has never really been consistent with bans. I remember I got banned back on the Wii, but then it was reversed a week later. My 3DS still hasn't been banned and it's running the works, 20+ games downloaded through the FreeShop as well.

I've only been using my switch for save editing and (in the future) emulators. I wish Nintendo would have some leniency in that regard. I'm sure they're well aware of people hacking the living shit out of AC:NL, probably the 3DS's biggest game, and AFAIK nobody has been banned for that. So maybe they'll turn a blind eye to harmless hacking? Who knows, probably not. But if my Switch gets banned oh well. I'll buy a new one, swap the serial numbers and return the banned one lmao.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why give them much needed server space? just ban them and move along.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've only been using my switch for save editing and (in the future) emulators. I wish Nintendo would have some leniency in that regard. I'm sure they're well aware of people hacking the living shit out of AC:NL, probably the 3DS's biggest game, and AFAIK nobody has been banned for that. So maybe they'll turn a blind eye to harmless hacking? Who knows, probably not. But if my Switch gets banned oh well. I'll buy a new one, swap the serial numbers and return the banned one lmao.
1) They probably will be lenient.
2) It's just not to change serial number and also, that's fraud. Probably something that later can be traceable to you.

It's simple, don't wanna get banned? Don't modify your console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1