Hacking How easy is it to break pin 10 with a paperclip jig?

cmsj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently shorting pin 10 to pin 9 using a small screwdriver which seems to have nearly 100% success when it comes to booting into RCM mode, but I ordered a red paperclip RCM jig off eBay.

Should I stop using my screwdriver? Is the jig safer or is it actually more likely to break a pin?
I read in an older topic the paperclip jigs were unsafe, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you.

Whatever option you go for, just be careful. Think about how easily the joycon slides into the connector. If you find yourself forcing things, you will break a pin in the Switch (I did it when I tried the ridiculous pin bending mod).

The good news though is that the Switch rails are very cheap to buy replacements for, and replacing a rail is not very hard.

Edit: I have to say that I'm not thrilled with any of the jigs I've ordered from eBay or 3D print houses so far - the wires never seem to stay in place, and the print quality is often pretty low.

Last edited by cmsj,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever option you go for, just be careful. Think about how easily the joycon slides into the connector. If you find yourself forcing things, you will break a pin in the Switch (I did it when I tried the ridiculous pin bending mod).

The good news though is that the Switch rails are very cheap to buy replacements for, and replacing a rail is not very hard.

Edit: I have to say that I'm not thrilled with any of the jigs I've ordered from eBay or 3D print houses so far - the wires never seem to stay in place, and the print quality is often pretty low.
Hmm now im actually a little worried after ordering one from Ebay. Tho I have paper clips but I have nothing to put them in perfect shape jigs.

cybrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well… don't pick a stray ground from something else without your Switch plugged (via USB-C) into the same thing you're getting ground from… Seriously. It might not work, and it might hurt your Switch. If it has worked a few times, that doesn't mean it won't hurt your Switch.

The heatsink is fine, because it's attached to the chassis ground.

"Ground" is really just a reference, and voltage is measured as the "distance" from another conductor, so to speak, that just happens to usually be called "ground". In other words, if the two grounds (that is, the internal ground inside the Switch, which is attached to pins 1, 2, and 7 in the Joy-Con rail connector as well as most metal parts of the chassis and the heat sink; and the "ground" that you are attaching the other end of the wire to) are at a far enough potential difference (i.e., voltage) from one another, you're actually connecting the Switch to voltage.

Without connecting your reference voltages together, a simple static charge could literally burn a chip, and you really don't want that to happen.

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think the aluminium foil method is still the easiest, cheapest and safest method.

Be careful as it can get stuck, short the wrong things and be difficult to remove if it's shoved deep into the rail. I read that shorting the joy-con power pin with some other will blow the console, I don't know if it's actually true but I wouldn't take this risk.

Reactions: DarkOrb

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Be careful as it can get stuck, short the wrong things and be difficult to remove if it's shoved deep into the rail. I read that shorting the joy-con power pin with some other will blow the console, I don't know if it's actually true but I wouldn't take this risk.

I see, thanks for the heads-up.

DJravingMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Very easy, managed to it on first try... damn... the pin fell out of the tray right when i pulled the clip out again. openened the console and saw that i did a great job, nothing usable left of this pin... i just ordered a replacement part on ebay. The pin most far away from the display... is it 10 or 1?

Damn also the switch does not recognise the joycon being docked anymore. But it is getting charged... I should not have opened the console to let nintendo repair it... now i will have to do it on my own i think. I hope the replacement of the rail wont be too difficult.

Last edited by DJravingMonkey,

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very easy, managed to it on first try... damn... the pin fell out of the tray right when i pulled the clip out again. openened the console and saw that i did a great job, nothing usable left of this pin... i just ordered a replacement part on ebay. The pin most far away from the display... is it 10 or 1?

Damn also the switch does not recognise the joycon being docked anymore. But it is getting charged... I should not have opened the console to let nintendo repair it... now i will have to do it on my own i think. I hope the replacement of the rail wont be too difficult.

Man that sucks. How much did the repair parts cost ?

DJravingMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man that sucks. How much did the repair parts cost ?
I found a very cheap offer on ebay. A pair of joycon rails for about 8 euros including the shipment from hongkong. I hope the parts are ok.
It will take 2 to four weeks until they arrive... Then i can report back if they are OK and how difficult the replacement was.

I guess there will be more people having this problem soon.

I will do a mod to my right joycon when my switch is working again to prevent another joycon rail damage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet