How does MIG Dumper determine file names?

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For example my copy of Digimon Story cyber sleuth complete edition is being dumped as "CD85F6637CAE680D.xci" but from my understanding this is not the titleID?

Im trying to make a python script to automatically rename and organize these but since its not coming back as a titleID im not really sure what other type of database to google aha

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I don't own a Mig but out of interest I took a look at some information.
The tool nxdumptool is used and that generates these files with the Dumper.
Normally you would get something like [title-id][version].xci unless nxdumptool doesn't recognize the cartridge header.
Then you get a name like the one mentioned above. (hex string of the package_id of the cartridge header).
https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/n...42ae7943a7131c56dee/source/core/title.c#L1206
The game cartridges are normally encrypted and the Switch has a special chip that hands over the decrypted data.
You can read the flash contents of the cartridge but it's just a bunch of encrypted data that has no use without the encryption key.
Since the Mig cannot not play existing dumps, I presume that they just dump the cartridge without decrypting it.
This would explain why nxdumptool can't use the header to generate the game title for the filename.

Since nobody has the keys for the castle cartridge, there is no way to decode the binary blob and grab the title from it.
The only option now would be for someone to dump every cartridge with the Mig dumper, note down the generate filename and what the actual game was.

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't own a Mig but out of interest I took a look at some information.
The tool nxdumptool is used and that generates these files with the Dumper.
Normally you would get something like [title-id][version].xci unless nxdumptool doesn't recognize the cartridge header.
Then you get a name like the one mentioned above. (hex string of the package_id of the cartridge header).
https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/n...42ae7943a7131c56dee/source/core/title.c#L1206
The game cartridges are normally encrypted and the Switch has a special chip that hands over the decrypted data.
You can read the flash contents of the cartridge but it's just a bunch of encrypted data that has no use without the encryption key.
Since the Mig cannot not play existing dumps, I presume that they just dump the cartridge without decrypting it.
This would explain why nxdumptool can't use the header to generate the game title for the filename.

Since nobody has the keys for the castle cartridge, there is no way to decode the binary blob and grab the title from it.
The only option now would be for someone to dump every cartridge with the Mig dumper, note down the generate filename and what the actual game was.
Wow you really did some digging

I appreciate you taking the time to write out this response for me, and even including the github link to help show what you’re explaining even more :)

Sounds like I better get to dumping and documenting these file names lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: :tpi: