How does black friday work?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by xXVisionZXx, Nov 11, 2010.

Nov 11, 2010
  1. xXVisionZXx
    OP

Member xXVisionZXx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    its my first time going to a black friday.... im not sure about prices, and im not sure at what time im supposed to be at the store... any ideas?

2. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It's by far a total scam, they discount shit that they want to get rid of, shit that will get discounted soon anyways. for every 1 good deal there are 100 scam deals.

3. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    Prices usually go super low on great stuff. Be there bright and early a few hours before opening. Best case campers sit out the day before. I did it once and it was so much fun

4. xXVisionZXx
    OP

United States
    lol... wasnt the answer i was looking for but it gives me an idea

Posts merged

ahh so you can camp outside the store? xD

5. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Black Friday is a marketing scam basically. The way it worked in the past is stores would offer incredible discounts on items, and you would show up a half hour before they open and line up. The way it works now is there are barely any discounts, and people start lining up a day or more ahead of time. People are just stupid.

6. xXVisionZXx
    OP

United States
    Nice... lol but it sounds so negative

7. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    I know at my neighboring Best Buy last year this really nice system went on sale at like half price. I got there 6 hours before opening time, and theres a huge snake in the parking lot. [​IMG] It's that crowded.

8. xXVisionZXx
    OP

United States
    Ahh mom suggested we get there at 1 AM xD i told her that might be too early

9. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Are you people buying things just to buy them?

10. xXVisionZXx
    OP

United States
    no.. im just trying to get cheap stuff i need a new desktop. thats the reason i asked how does black friday work

11. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    Having worked in retail management for the last 12 years i know a few things about black friday. there are some really great deals to be had but the most coveted deals are usually extremely limited. If you are looking to get one of these limited quantities deals then be prepared to eat thanksgiving dinner outside the door at best buy. At my local best buy people start waiting in line around 5pm on thanksgiving day and camp out for the night. usually the retailers will send out someone to hand out tickets for the limited deals about and hour or so before they open. they go down the line and ask what you plan on purchasing. they give you a ticket for each of the deeply discounted items. it's always first come first serve and the good deals go fast. if you are able to get a ticket for the item you want you bring it to the register/service desk to pay and retrieve your item. then go home and sleep cuz you've just spent the night standing outside in the cold.

12. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    This is the first year, at least in the US southwest, that I've been aware (due to constant advertising bombardment) of Black November or ongoing Black Friday sale promotions that aren't even on Black Friday which, as smash_brew described, has traditionally been on the day after Thanksgiving.

13. Didu50

Member Didu50 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, Its always on the day after Thanksgiving, and you go outside to a store at Ridiculously early times to Freeze your ass off to save a few bucks. Its actually quite fun.

14. Anne Noise

Member Anne Noise GBAtemp Regular

United States
    In the past, it was insane people doing insane things for highly advertised insane prices.

Now, it's people - like my family - stuffing themselves with Thanksgiving food, then planning an assault on every store in the county, getting a good night's tryptophan sleep, and launching said assault. For my parents and extended family, Thanksgiving is less a meal celebrating family and what we have to be happy about, and more like pre-Black Friday fuel.

15. TLSS_N

Member TLSS_N Who is John Galt?

United States
    idk about it all being a scam, Best buy has wii's for $169.99 .

16. Anne Noise

Member Anne Noise GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As a former Best Buy employee - product process, aka warehouse and stock management, no less - I agree. There is some apeshit craziness going on at almost every retail outlet. If you go in knowing what you want, and get to the store soon enough, deals can be mindblowing, but it's also the worst day to shop, time- and customer-spirit-wise.