Hacking How does AK2i's OS work compare to Sakura?

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, yeah, I impulsively bought an AK2i from shoptemp just 'cuz I was tinkering with my credit card - my first online purchase mind you, so didn't really if would work... and it did. whoop-dee-doo. At least, when a worst case scenario is needed, I could probably donate either my m3 real or ak2i to my niece who's still using the unsupported r4 (the really old one, my old flashcart).

Anywho, any big differences between the OS' guys?

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, AKAIO can't play music or DPGs. It includes a few nice features that Sakura doesn't have (toggle-able showing of hidden folders, built-in support for the 3-in-1, game and homebrew softreset... the list goes on) and has different looks.
The files are only displayed on the touch-screen rather than both, but AKAIO has a lot more skins availiable (and they generally look pretty damn good).

EDIT: Aurgh! I just realized that I was comparing AKAIO to MoonShell 2, not Sakura!
Sorry!

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ah, thanks for the fast reply. So other than the built in mp3 player and dpg player (which i almost never use anymore, unfortunately), there's not much diff? how about the aesthetics of it all? I mean, is it as smooth or better than sakura's? I mean, I've only had supercard slot-2, r4 and m3 real to go on, so by far sakura's been the best for me..

edit: no biggie, sakura is after all somewhat based on moonshell's capabilities, right?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AKAIO is the main firmware for Acekards and although it is unofficial its a lot better than the official. The GUI and the layout is different for sure. AKAIO doesn't look all that close to MoonShell like Sakura did. It has a different look to it but its VERY easy to get used to. I switched from an M3 DS Simply to an AK2.1 and I didn't have any problems at all with the layout.

The way you boot games a different. I don't know if Sakura had RTS or SlowMotion or an In-Game menu but all of those things ARE NOT in AKAIO. Basically we sacrifice those features for 99.99% game compatibility. When AKAIO gets game fixes, we don't upgrade the entire firmware. Why should we, its only the game loader that's needs to be updated. So instead we update what's referred to as "Loaders". We get small updates very quickly rather than a large firmware upgrade at a moderate pace.

Although AKAIO doesn't get those cool features above, there's still somethings that make it unique compared to the Official FW. AKAIO can update loaders via WiFi straight from the Acekard, no need to remove the MicroSD. You can also update your cheat DB from GBATemp's Cheat DB and the Temporary DB. Along with that, AKAIO has Homebrew Softreset, Auto-DLDI patching, and much more.

You can find out more information here: AKAIO Wiki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, in all, would you say that ak2i and AKAIO is more idiot proof than sakura? I don't mean that in a bad way, after reading what was posted, i'm beginning to think it's a perfect flashcart to replace my niece's r4. I mean, it's easier to update and I suppose it works relative easy to switch from r4 (it is like m3 simply, right?) to ak2i... hmm..
But I'll test drive the thing first, for sure.
happy.gif

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
AKAIO is very simple to install and use. Just unpack into the rood of MSD. All options are under the start menu (kinda like in Windows). IMO the M3 is more complicated since it has like what... 3 kernels that you can use, one is better for games, other for homebrews, etc. ALthough overall I think AKAIO does the job very well, but Sakura interface is clearly the best of the bunch. Game support/patches are faster on AKAIO though.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jakob95 said:
By the way you should give your M3 Real to your niece and keep the Acekard for your self.
Least let him try the cart out, why should you decide for him but I would suggest keeping both for yourslef because sometimes one is better than the other

Dragoon709

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
2002120141 said:
So, yeah, I impulsively bought an AK2i from shoptemp just 'cuz I was tinkering with my credit card - my first online purchase mind you, so didn't really if would work... and it did. whoop-dee-doo. At least, when a worst case scenario is needed, I could probably donate either my m3 real or ak2i to my niece who's still using the unsupported r4 (the really old one, my old flashcart).

Once I get my Acekard 2i in the next couple of weeks I can give you a direct comparrison as I am leaving an M3 Real to go to the Acekard. From what I've read though the Acekard is a better card.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
six, but her dad usually does all the updating and stuff. as long as it's similar to r4 in loading games, I don't think she'll have any problems.
About the M3 and Acekard issue, I'm still leaning on the M3 just cause I have the perfect bundle.. I still play gba games from time to time, and I don't think the M3's expansion pak would work with Acekard's OS...
Hopefully, I'll get both when she gets old and quits being a gamer... or maybe she'll get both when I get old and quit... lol

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Leonidas said:
AKAIO is very simple to install and use. Just unpack into the rood of MSD. All options are under the start menu (kinda like in Windows). IMO the M3 is more complicated since it has like what... 3 kernels that you can use, one is better for games, other for homebrews, etc. ALthough overall I think AKAIO does the job very well, but Sakura interface is clearly the best of the bunch. Game support/patches are faster on AKAIO though.Ah - but once you get into it, you can actually set up the acekard to run moonshell as the default OS just like Sakura - AND get it to 'run' commercial ROM's.
Select a ROM in Moonshell & it will run AKAIO automatically for you (only downside to THAT is you can't select cheats in Moonshell - but you can still 'boot' to AKAIO & choose cheats through that if you need to)

QUOTEHow old is your niece? You can teach him how acekard works being WAY different to R4
Bit of a mixed gender there - isn't it 'Neice'...'Him' ?!?!?
laugh.gif

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
2002120141 said:

r4 is no longer unsupported: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=219894

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
CannonFoddr said:
QUOTE said:
How old is your niece? You can teach him how acekard works being WAY different to R4
Bit of a mixed gender there - isn't it 'Neice'...'Him' ?!?!?
laugh.gif

Lol us Filipinos do that from time to time.. especially my mom and dad O.o

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
looks like ak2i's not gonna be mine after all. she got her DS snatched by her sis so she's getting a DSi XL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/O4wnF9cA0I0?si=mo9PgrCpfMYKWfJv America's already left for dead