Hacking How does a microSD corrupt?

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ive heard several people who say their microSD corrupted, but how does that can?
Is it only with homebrew? or also with roms?
Did they mistreat their microSD, or not?

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Only heard about homebrew corrupting the file system on flash cards. Of course there's a chance you corrupt the file system if you turn the DS off while the flash cart is writing save files, but never heard of any "unexplainable" corruption when playing roms. It's always homebrew.

My guess is that is has to do with the DLDI FAT drivers not being perfect. Remember that those drivers get full access to the file system. One litttle bug might be enough to screw it all up.
FAT is not a very robust file system, it's quite sensitive to corruption. However, it's very simple compared to many other file systems, guess that's why it's still used for this type of applications, where the limited storage space is an important factor. It keeps the driver small.

An offtopic question, saw you lived in Belgium. I work as a sailor, now and then we go to Antwerp. Always been wondering what all those little huts along the shores of the channel are there for. Are they some kind of summer houses or something like that? You don't happen to know the answer?
smile.gif

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've corrupted a rom a few times but it's never affected my whole MicroSD or anything.

Here, let me quote myself...

QUOTE([M) said:
artin,Dec 6 2007, 01:39 PM]Hey all, I just wanted to share something that I've encounted with the SCDS1 and see if anyone can relate at all.

As you know, the SCDS1 (and a few other flashcarts, I believe) have a Reset Feature. This feature allows you to hold down a combination of buttons while in-game and your DS will be reset to the SCDS1's OS menu.

At first, I thought this was wonderful and I started using it all the time. But then, I noticed a small problem. I had been playing PW2 and resetting quite often (whenever my bar ran too low, I reset it and started up from my last in-game save). Toward the end of the game, I ran into trouble when trying to start up my save. Text from the game would appear glitchy, screens would freeze, and sometimes I would even be warped back to a previous case somehow with sprites missing and lots of fucked up shit. After a while, I gave up on trying to fix the problem from within the game and simply replaced the rom on my MicroSD for a newly obtained rom (same source and all) while keeping the .sav file. Upon starting the game up this time, everything was working perfectly! No more glitchy text or freezes! This also happened to me with another game recently, PW3.

So I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the cause of this is? I've never had any fuck ups with any other games on my DS, only the PW series gives me these problems. Is resetting to the OS bad for my files? Is it safer to just power off and power back on? Is it just Trite's games that like to jerk me around?

EDIT: Oh, and I remember older versions of DSOrganize used to corrupt a lot of peoples storage mediums after running it a few times. Happened to me once or twice without explanation. The newer versions don't have this problem, though.

If your MicroSD ever does get corrupted, however, all you need to do is format it on your compy.
wink.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I corrupted my MicroSD-card twice with my M3 Simply. I think it's because of little bugs or something (it sounds a bit strange, but you probably understand what I mean
rofl2.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-