How does a microSD corrupt?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Satangel, Dec 15, 2007.

Dec 15, 2007

How does a microSD corrupt? by Satangel at 8:40 AM (1,090 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Ive heard several people who say their microSD corrupted, but how does that can?
    Is it only with homebrew? or also with roms?
    Did they mistreat their microSD, or not?

2. kaputnik

Member kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Only heard about homebrew corrupting the file system on flash cards. Of course there's a chance you corrupt the file system if you turn the DS off while the flash cart is writing save files, but never heard of any "unexplainable" corruption when playing roms. It's always homebrew.

My guess is that is has to do with the DLDI FAT drivers not being perfect. Remember that those drivers get full access to the file system. One litttle bug might be enough to screw it all up.
    FAT is not a very robust file system, it's quite sensitive to corruption. However, it's very simple compared to many other file systems, guess that's why it's still used for this type of applications, where the limited storage space is an important factor. It keeps the driver small.

An offtopic question, saw you lived in Belgium. I work as a sailor, now and then we go to Antwerp. Always been wondering what all those little huts along the shores of the channel are there for. Are they some kind of summer houses or something like that? You don't happen to know the answer? [​IMG]

3. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    K tnx!

And sorry, I dont know what those huts are...
    I live in Bruges, far from Antwerp, sorry [​IMG]

4. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Well, I've corrupted a rom a few times but it's never affected my whole MicroSD or anything.

Here, let me quote myself...

EDIT: Oh, and I remember older versions of DSOrganize used to corrupt a lot of peoples storage mediums after running it a few times. Happened to me once or twice without explanation. The newer versions don't have this problem, though.

If your MicroSD ever does get corrupted, however, all you need to do is format it on your compy. [​IMG]

5. kaputnik

Member kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    No problems! But that was just speculations, I don't know for sure.

Oh, okay. Just thought it might be common knowledge in Belgium, that's why I asked. There are like thousands and thousands of those cabins [​IMG]

6. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I corrupted my MicroSD-card twice with my M3 Simply. I think it's because of little bugs or something (it sounds a bit strange, but you probably understand what I mean [​IMG] )