How do you restore Sysnand with Gateway 3.0?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cartman401, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Cartman401
    OP

Cartman401 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2002
    The first thing I did when installing gateway 3.0 was backup my sysnand and my SD card to my computer.

However in my experimentation I formatted the SD card and now I can't access the games and (more importantly) the saves from my SD backup.

I assume restoring Sysnand would help address this. It says that you can do it, but how? I can't see any option. Is this something that is doable now, or will it be coming along with the downgrade options etc?

bobmcjr likes this.
  2. DSlite2

DSlite2 VR Supporter

Jul 11, 2012
    United States
    SysNand is a backup of your system's nand. It is not a backup of your games or saves. You should be able to redownload your games from the eShop on Emunand 9.4 but your saves are gone if you never backed them up from your SD card.

3. Cartman401
    OP

Nov 7, 2002
    I backed up my SD card beforehand but formatting the system memory lost my association with my account, so I can't redownload the games or restore them or the saves from my backup.

4. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    Re-associate your account to eshop in emuNAND 9.4 to re-downoad games.

If you made a backup of big SD card to your computer, just put the backup back to the SD card, your saves will be here.

Jayro likes this.
  5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Ninja'd.

Just log back in with your NNID, and you're fine.

6. Cartman401
    OP

Nov 7, 2002
    Actually I did that in emunand, and it didn't work! Same NNID login, same Club Nintendo ID - it said I had no titles I could redownload.

However I used emunand tool to inject my backup into my emunand, updated it and that worked, at least for emunand.

But my real question is, it says you can restore Sysnand backups in the release note - but is this actually possible?

7. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    No now.
    Just wait for "downgrade" files on GW website.
    Will be available "soon" :D

Cartman401 likes this.
  8. Cartman401
    OP

Nov 7, 2002
    Thanks. Injecting the emunand sorted my problem anyway, as I managed to successfully recover my kids Animal Crossing saved game. They would have killed me!

Margen67 likes this.
  9. Liberty

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Can you please tell us how?

10. Cartman401
    OP

Nov 7, 2002
    Sure.

As mentioned before, I'd backed up my NAND and SD card safely to my computer before foolishly resetting my 3DS system memory.

Anyway, to get access back to my games and saves on Emunand I did the following;
    1) Created a fresh emunand install on the SD using the Gateway 3.0 exploit.
    2) Downloaded emunandtool from here; https://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/
    3) Injected my previously backed up nand file into the new SD emunand using the tool from above.
    4) Put the SD card in, booted the DS into emunand and lo and behold, my settings and accounts were back
    5) Updated emunand to 9.4
    6) Downloaded and installed the game I wanted from the eshop. Played it to create the save file etc.
    7) Put the SD card back in my computer and found the save game file in a subdirectory in titles.
    8) Overwrote that with the equivalent save data file from my backup. Job done, my old save game was accessible once more.

11. Jysix

Jysix Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2014
    France
    "7) Put the SD card back in my computer and found the save game file in a subdirectory in titles."

How did you find this ? This is in weird folder randomly named.

Liberty likes this.
  12. felystar

felystar GBAtemp Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    He only had one game I think

13. Cartman401
    OP

Nov 7, 2002
    I had a load of games but I did it one by one. So you just make a note of the new folder that appears in the titles folder, and find the relevant save in your backup folders.

One thing to note is that the weird randomly named folder is unique to your system and profile combination. If thats not the same as the folder name in your backup, its probably not going to work.

14. ztoben

ztoben Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Nvm

15. Cartman401
    OP

Nov 7, 2002
    Sooo looks like my original question is answered now, you can restore nand using 3.01 by holding UP when entering the downgrade menu. I'm going to try it and will report back my success or failiure!

16. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    I tried it myself, and it worked great. I'd just recommend you plug it in while you write the nand.

17. Cartman401
    OP

Nov 7, 2002
    Heh, yes of course I wouldn't dare do it without a charge! Its going now... slowly... :D

[update]

Worked like a charm!

18. Liberty

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Impossible for me. I always get error codes 022-2511/0022-2634.