How do you make friends?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So simply put, is just a question to think about. We all have our ways, some people are successful and some aren't but that is for another time. What are things you do that gets you friends when you want to socialize? :unsure:

It can be in real life, or over the internet, just share some of your stories, even if there is ones here at this very site.

2. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    if they seem like a nice person not an asshole i always start with hey whats up man then proceed to talk about what we are learning or talk about anime

3. MrCatFace

MrCatFace GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2017
    Home (Is where the heart is, so my chest?)
    I went to a new school one year. Knew no one. Just talk to people. Or just do your own thing and wait for people to come to you. Thats what I did. Met so many people and build a great friend group.

Just be yourself.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  4. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    I talk to people. Thats how I make friends.

CallmeBerto and Quantumcat like this.
  5. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    In your basement Dick Size: 5 meters.
    COMMUNICATE IN A HUMAN MATTER TO CONVERSE TOPICS IN WHICH BOTH PARTIES ENJOY THE SUBJECT THAT IS CURRENTLY BEING DISCUSSED.

When I transferred to my new school, I would talk to my old friends, then I would just go up to them and say hi. Then we have a conversation then hang out sometimes, when your friend starts walking to you to talk is when you know you're friends with them.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. YamiZee

YamiZee GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Finland
    You accept that living is suffering and that friends aren't things that life is willing to give you. Then you continue browsing the internet.

TVL, Nightwish, TheVinAnator and 8 others like this.
  7. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Just put yourself out there. In a good way. Don’t be afraid, be yourself. Met my wife in an AOL chatroom. Yes AOL!

8. PossiblyOne

PossiblyOne GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2017
    United States
    Hell
    Same though.

9. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Just be nice! Talk to people you see, and be kind. And try not to talk to people that are untrustworthy or straight up jerks, I suppose.

10. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    Off Topic
    @Chary You know what I just realized you have a Charmander in your pic. Of all these months I just realized that. And your name Chary, Char, Charmander, is that where you got your name?

Chary likes this.
  11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Yep! Most people don't realize and pronounce it like "cherry", too, when it's just char-y, like charmander :P

12. SG854

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    How many people actually realized that your name comes from Charmander? And pointed that out. Was that a nickname for your charmander?
    I guess you put a picture of charmander hoping people will get it, but they don't.

13. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Had to google what a charmander was. Luckily I've always pronounced Chary right.

Chary likes this.
  14. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Just be nice. Just be yourself. Don't force anything, and it will come by itself.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  15. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    I don't make friends .... I just get to know strangers a little bit better some times ... but friends ... nah

Dunno I am kind of anti social even though I like to tell everyone about my love for Japan XD
    my two latest "friends" are one Alcoholic I met while I was in Japan (I really hoped that he would not talk to me but he did and we became kinda friends and still write mails since some years and sometimes even visit each other) and the other one was a guy who was waiting in front of the classroom door at the Japanese class I went to for a short time, I noticed that he was listening to songs by YUI which I was a big fan of (still like her old stuff) so I asked him how he got Japanese music and why he was listening to YUI ... now I will travel to Japan with him in 2 1/2 weeks XD

Most funny one was a guy ~120kg with long beard and looking like he was in a rocker gang who told me " I will meet you after school ! " when we both went to the same Job school (learning IT) and I was imagining several hours how I could beat such a heavy and "strong" looking guy as fast as possible ... or if there is any way to run away ...
    Than after school I was ready to get beaten up and he asked my why I had my fists ready for battle as he heard that I liked Anime and Manga he wanted me to recommend some Manga to him XD
    After that I noticed we even had to take the same Bus as he was more or less a neighbour that I have never seen before.

Cyan and Quantumcat like this.
  16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You just be yourself, but be interested in what the other person has to say. Be responsive to cues that they're annoyed or not interested or uncomfortable so you can change the topic or ask them a question.
    As for making friends --- I guess sometimes when I'm in a group that's all doing the same thing, I might make fun of something that happened to the person next to me (because doing so amuses myself, not necessarily because I'm trying to make a friend), and sometimes a conversation will develop or they'll make jokes to me too later on (if they have the same sense of humour, sometimes they might instead think my comments are in poor taste and avoid me!). If we see each other regularly anyway then it is easy to maintain a friendship but otherwise I would often let it languish because I can't be bothered to make regular plans etc.

leafeon34 likes this.
  17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    As a great song once said.
    A friend in need is a friend indeed
    A friend with weed is better.

18. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2015
    Italy
    Easy: I don't

Cyan likes this.
  19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I don't.
    Forever alone :cry:

I do have some friends. I just find it really hard to make new ones.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  20. ToonGoomba

ToonGoomba Sarcastic Super Star

Oct 20, 2017
    United States
    North Carolina
    I mostly wait till someone notices that I'm depressed...they dont really help me, they just let me follow them around.