How do you make friends and keep them going? (online & offline)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ive found that I actually make friends rather easily . just talk about something they are comfortable with . I meet most of the people I know at parties or weddings . helping out . or at my local library
Most people i know, i was the one comming like "hey what's up" + joke about context
then they were laughting and i introduced myself and proposed them to do so ^^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Could you eblabirate what is gross, indifferent and strange about your personality? :blink:
Umm does it mean you're gonna tell me now, or something, what am i missing here? :unsure:
It can have a sexual meaning

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most people i know, i was the one comming like "hey what's up" + joke about context
then they was laghting and i introduced myself and proposed them to do so ^^
almost the same here . get em laughing play a few video games or talk bout movies and you get to know em in no time

Reactions: Alkéryn

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depend of what you call a friend, if you want someone to have fun with and share things it is easy
but if you want real friends it is harder to find and it is what make them pressious
I would say the most important things are affection honesty and trust, knowing them and also know how to have fun with them

but the best way to aproach someone in ANY situation ( Friendship/ relationship / work ) is to have a good sense of humor and know how to balance it well depending of the person you are speaking to, the higher in hierarchy the person the most serious you must been
but the least you know a person the most you should be humourous and the most you know them the most you should be serious

but keep in mind that even if affection honesty and trust are the key to a good friendship, humour is the first step to get there
plus don't expect people to trust you if you don't trust them
don't expect people to like you if you don't like them
and don't expect people to be happy when they see you if you are not always happy when they see you.
it might seem dumb but people act a bit to you as you act to them
if you act as you are already close they will react so

physical contact is also a good thing for example a little slap on the shoulder or small discret things like that help others build confindence in you inconsiously
I agree with this. Probably easy to find someone to just hang out with but good luck making ACTUAL friends these days that stick with you through good and bad times.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
As surprising as this might sound, I hardly ever make friends irl. The very few I had in years though, are valuable people I genuinely appreciate and care about.

Online is much easier, as I don't really have to actually talk, and appear in front of them. But the same principle stays, we could be great friends that I care about and do anything to make them happy.

To tell the truth, most of the friendships based on the text above almost all happened randomly. Forced friendship never ended well, despite genuine intentions :( It looks like that common interrests and mindset got the best matches.

Reactions: Exavold and cvskid

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Could you eblabirate what is gross, indifferent and strange about your personality? :blink:

Umm does it mean you're gonna tell me now, or something, what am i missing here? :unsure:
I am an extreme moderate on everything and I mean everything. I take very little personally and I don't get upset easily. Thus I am grossly indifferent about everything and my personality is rather odd.

Reactions: VinsCool

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am an extreme moderate on everything and I mean everything. I take very little personally and I don't get upset easily. Thus I am grossly indifferent about everything and my personality is rather odd.
Gross is a rather negatively harsh word to use, so i don't understand what you mean when using it. But So far your description of your personality has not seem to be of any issue to you or others... which is why i guess you made that statement about people liking you. :unsure:

Still i don't think is gross or odd, just how you are, i already accepted that so i mean no problem right?:)

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laugh at me if you want or even call me names or whatever, but this is a serious question. Believe it or not, there is people out there who do not know how to do this yet, despite their age, is just something not easy to master. Understanding that, I will just like to say that if someone willing to admit to having trouble with this, is okay. :)

But the thing is since these are probably more personal.. ummm skill... techniques... habits... opinions (Whatever you wanna call them) Is however you do it personally, may not work for everyone, these are suggestions. So i guess this statement is a disclaimer for anyone who tries these personal experiences or SUGGESTIONS, not to complain if it doesn't work, really is just "Trial-and-error" :ninja:

Also I would like to ask if you could specifiy the experience if is for online i guess either long distance, people from around the world, playing games online, social media like the instant messages or whatever communities, or offline around the local area doing whatever, that will help i think. If i should come up with another idea to help add detph to the experience then this post will be updated.:unsure:
I just assume no one sticks around. Enjoy the temporary friends you have, create memories, and just be ready to move on and find new friends. Or, at the very least, expect non-consistency. A best friend this year may be a casual friend next, and maybe turn back to best friend in a couple of years. Personally I just talk with people about mutual interest and enjoy events that we'll both share. My relationship skills are zero on natural ability, but around a 4-6 on acting/learned behavior. I just try to be nice and considerate, and it seems to work out somewhat well.

I'm curious to see what advice people offer. Knowing a thing should be done, and being able to do a thing well, are very very different things.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: cvskid and VinsCool

EthanAddict

An investment to nothingness
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, I found my "best" friend because of the same interests, robotics to tell the truth at the computer programming club in school, then we hanged out and I later joined his robotics team. Made our robot with an arduino(why not raspberry pi?) and NXT programmed in Python 3, but thats another story. Anyway the point is that I like to hang out with people who can tell them my secrets and generally trust them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol his pole numbers went up after the conviction, street cred lol