How do you guys get WiFi connected on your wii?

Alex12win

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have the option in router setting to change security settings, At least I think I don't, I don't know for sure but I don't have access to them right now. I have a USB wifi adapter for my PC, would that work?

manfire7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't have the option in router setting to change security settings, At least I think I don't, I don't know for sure but I don't have access to them right now. I have a USB wifi adapter for my PC, would that work?
USB wifi adapter won't work or even be detected, it likely isn't related to security settings either. Seems like the Wii supports WPA2 security fine but often has issues if 802.11b is disabled on the router. Are you getting a specific error code when you try to connect?

If changing router settings is totally out of the question your options are basically use your phone as a hotspot and connect to that, buy another router and use it to repeat the incompatible network with settings that are compatible with the Wii, or get a supported ethernet adapter (the official nintendo one or a 3rd party one that uses the same chipset found in the official one)

Reactions: splaca

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The Wii is old... very old.
I too have issues connectng it to the Internet... like, sometimes it detects routers and others it won't.

About USB LAN adapters, I think it might kind of work, because Nintendo developed an Official Adapter.

By all means try it.

If everything failed, then it must be a hardware issue, probably your WiFi Antenna broke

Alex12win

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
USB wifi adapter won't work or even be detected, it likely isn't related to security settings either. Seems like the Wii supports WPA2 security fine but often has issues if 802.11b is disabled on the router. Are you getting a specific error code when you try to connect?

If changing router settings is totally out of the question your options are basically use your phone as a hotspot and connect to that, buy another router and use it to repeat the incompatible network with settings that are compatible with the Wii, or get a supported ethernet adapter (the official nintendo one or a 3rd party one that uses the same chipset found in the official one)
I have tried a hotspot on different devices (Laptop, Tablet, etc) But none seem to work, Even though I set the speed to 2.4 ghz And set the security to one of them that the wii supports, I cant remember what but I think it was WEP. I've even tried it with no security whatsoever, But nothing seems to work. The error code is 51330, Which I have tried to google but nothing has worked.
Thanks

Alex12win

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I too have issues connectng it to the Internet... like, sometimes it detects routers and others it won't.

About USB LAN adapters, I think it might kind of work, because Nintendo developed an Official Adapter.

By all means try it.

If everything failed, then it must be a hardware issue, probably your WiFi Antenna broke
Yeah, After looking into the Ethernet adapter, I also looked into an ethernet to WIFI adapter that supposedly supports modern Wifi routers, So that could be an option. But yeah, It might have just broke, This Wii is from 2011.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, After looking into the Ethernet adapter, I also looked into an ethernet to WIFI adapter that supposedly supports modern Wifi routers, So that could be an option. But yeah, It might have just broke, This Wii is from 2011.

Mine is from 2008 and still works fine, but it has issues connecting to new routers.

I think it's normal behavior.

NOW you got me curious if we could actually change the WiFi board into something newer? :unsure:

Alex12win

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine is from 2008 and still works fine, but it has issues connecting to new routers.

NOW you got me curious if we could actually change the WiFi board into something newer? :unsure:
Maybe we could get a usb wifi adapter, And get something like a phone charger and cut the usb ending and the micro usb endings, So that than we just have a cord with the contacts sticking out, And take off the casing from the usb WIFI adapter, And also take off the USB part that would stick into a usb port, Than solder the contacts from the cable onto the contacts on the WIFI adapter, (which might be hard, Because you would need to figure out which one each is with trial and error) Than take out the WIFI adapter from the Wii, And solder the other end of the cord onto the contacts in the Wii, Again with trial and error. That would be pretty cool, Sorry for incorrect spelling and grammar and stuff, I'm also doing online classes right now but you got me interested with this. Unfortunately though I don't have a soldering iron, or extra WIFI adapter, Or extra Wii that won't matter if I screw up. Maybe somebody in the future will find this post with the same issue and try this? Probably wouldn't work because it would need to be a Nintendo branded one.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

just an info:

did you try to change the channel, put 1 or 11?

===>canal 1 ou 11

manfire7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not broken, this is a common issue. It does not have to do with security settings either. You just need to make sure that your router or whatever device you use to Hotspot is able to use b/g wifi bands.

Not possible
Maybe we could get a usb wifi adapter, And get something like a phone charger and cut the usb ending and the micro usb endings, So that than we just have a cord with the contacts sticking out, And take off the casing from the usb WIFI adapter, And also take off the USB part that would stick into a usb port, Than solder the contacts from the cable onto the contacts on the WIFI adapter, (which might be hard, Because you would need to figure out which one each is with trial and error) Than take out the WIFI adapter from the Wii, And solder the other end of the cord onto the contacts in the Wii, Again with trial and error. That would be pretty cool, Sorry for incorrect spelling and grammar and stuff, I'm also doing online classes right now but you got me interested with this. Unfortunately though I don't have a soldering iron, or extra WIFI adapter, Or extra Wii that won't matter if I screw up. Maybe somebody in the future will find this post with the same issue and try this? Probably wouldn't work because it would need to be a Nintendo branded one.
That's not at all how this works, even if that were physically possible the drivers on the wii and the system software are all designed around supporting the specific chip nintendo used. There are drivers for using other USB wifi adapters on wii Linux and you can relatively easily develop new ones for that but to make a different wifi adapter, usb or internal, work seamlessly would be borderline if not completely impossible.

manfire7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've just been using the system settings menu. Can you do it in something else? Also, How would i change the channel, Are you just meaning use a different game?
He's referring to wifi channel, this is a router setting. Like I said earlier if accessing the router settings are out of the question your options are get another router, use a Hotspot and make it compatible, or get a usb ethernet adapter

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
About router settings, maybe it's good to mention that you can access them through your computer on a web browser by writing the IP, and you get the IP by opening the Command Prompt (on windows) and writing ipconfig (Default Gateway).

Nowadays I use the Ethernet Adapter, as I got to find an official one at a good price and it's far, far better with the cable connected directly to the router. There's some third party Ethernet Adapters that can work on Wii, but you need to be sure it has a specific chip in it.

I should give Hotspot another try, though.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your best bet, if no one has said, might be a hotspot with your phone. not sure what the highest security is for the wii, but it may be wpa1.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

By all means try it.

Sometimes the internet just doesn't work at all with the Wii, even with Wii Ethernet adapters.

I tried all means to connect my Wii to the internet, even plugging it with a Ethernet cable on my internet box, and still it doesn't work, sometimes newer technologies just can't work with the old and need to find older stuff to work with itself.

manfire7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes the internet just doesn't work at all with the Wii, even with Wii Ethernet adapters.

I tried all means to connect my Wii to the internet, even plugging it with a Ethernet cable on my internet box, and still it doesn't work, sometimes newer technologies just can't work with the old and need to find older stuff to work with itself.
I would be very surprised if you aren't just missing some setting on your router that needs to be toggled to make it compatible.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would be very surprised if you aren't just missing some setting on your router that needs to be toggled to make it compatible.
You know what that's probably it. Because my 360 can get internet signals but not the Wii itself.

I have 2 (RVL-101) Wii models meanwhile and with ethernet they don't work, so you might be right, but if that is the case then where do I start?

manfire7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know what that's probably it. Because my 360 can get internet signals but not the Wii itself.

I have 2 (RVL-101) Wii models meanwhile and with ethernet they don't work, so you might be right, but if that is the case then where do I start?
Are you using the official Nintendo ethernet adapter or a 3rd party one with the exact chipset?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Well that has never happened to me.

I've changed routers many times, as I change from Internet/CableTV providers since 2008.

The Router I had in 2008 worked flawlessly, but since 2012 up till now, it's a hit-miss thing.
Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Don't mind me with the following, but you have to be really unlucky to get that kind of problem.

On a more personal note, I don't use WiFi with my Wii anymore, unless I'm hacking a Console... so I don't care anymore about these problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER