Hacking How do I run wii backups off of a sd?

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering if I could run a wii backup of super smashbros either on vwii or on the wiiu (I have the game as a disk) I know you can run wii bakups from a usb but i only have one wiiu usb that has almost no room left on it. Thanks for the help in advance.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use an sd card with wiiflow, and I think it's the best backup loader anyway.

It's really simple. Here's a basic guide to get it running on vwii https://sites.google.com/site/wiiflowiki4/installing-wiiflow
Isn't Wiiflow unstable on vWii? Not only does the Definitive vWii hacking guide state this, but I saw it myself at least multiple times. I was able to launch a game from SD, but the system suddenly froze. Is there a specific version to use?
USB Loader GX is the best loader, but only supports USB. So I personally use CFG USB loader for Wii games which works flawless.

Then I use USB Loader GX to boot into Gamecube games via Nintendont. Using it as a frontend for Nintendont.

For SD card users:
CFG USB Loader for Wii games
USB Loader GX + Nintendont for Gamecube games
@gamemasteru03

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't Wiiflow unstable on vWii? Not only does the Definitive vWii hacking guide state this, but I saw it myself at least multiple times. I was able to launch a game from SD, but the system suddenly froze. Is there a specific version to use?
USB Loader GX is the best loader, but only supports USB. So I personally use CFG USB loader for Wii games which works flawless.

Then I use USB Loader GX to boot into Gamecube games via Nintendont. Using it as a frontend for Nintendont.

For SD card users:
@gamemasteru03
I've been using wiiflow +sd on my vwii successfully for 2 years with no issues, but to some extent it's up to you which one you want to use.

I haven't updated it in a long time, but I'm sure I chose whatever was the most recent release at the time. (This is the guide I used to set it up as well)

Last edited by x65943,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using wiiflow +sd on my vwii successfully for 2 years with no issues, but to some extent it's up to you which one you want to use.
If that's the case, can you please share with me your version of Wiiflow? It was my all time fav loader on Wii. This way, I can also use it for Gamecube games also. Ever since I first setup vWii a year ago, I never had any kind of luck with wiiflow.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For SD card users:
@gamemasteru03

I haven't updated it in a long time, but I'm sure I chose whatever was the most recent release at the time. (This is the guide I used to set it up as well)
Hey could you guys point me to a download link to one of these please.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The guide's one was down

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ok I just found a download link to wiiflow I wii try that one first.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's the case, can you please share with me your version of Wiiflow? It was my all time fav loader on Wii. This way, I can also use it for Gamecube games also. Ever since I first setup vWii a year ago, I never had any kind of luck with wiiflow.
Hey could you guys point me to a download link to one of these please.
The guide's one was down
ok I just found a download link to wiiflow I wii try that one first.

Here's the version I have on my vwii, I don't know which one it is. https://mega.nz/#!q5lACC4D!_QVmk8KuEj8X96-4GK43_hAAoAkLKW6NX246a3UQqBw

Edit: xml says it's v4.2.1

Here's a link to the latest release, which is the same as the one that I linked

https://code.google.com/archive/p/wiiflow/downloads

Last edited by x65943,
Reactions: MattKimura

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the version I have on my vwii, I don't know which one it is. https://mega.nz/#!q5lACC4D!_QVmk8KuEj8X96-4GK43_hAAoAkLKW6NX246a3UQqBw

Ok I downloaded a 4.2.1 from a diffrent website and launched wiiflow and let it backup my smah game onto the sd but it seems like the loading bar isnt moving how long is ot sospuse to take for it to back up?

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I downloaded a 4.2.1 from a diffrent website and launched wiiflow and let it backup my smah game onto the sd but it seems like the loading bar isnt moving how long is ot sospuse to take for it to back up?
I'm not sure as I only ever used my wii to make backups (years and years ago), haven't tried it with my vwii.
They used to take a pretty long time on my wii. I'd let it run a good while before making any conclusions.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure as I only ever used my wii to make backups (years and years ago), haven't tried it with my vwii.
They used to take a pretty long time on my wii. I'd let it run a good while before making any conclusions.
Ok well I am on the go now so when o got home in an hour hopefully it will be done. Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: x65943

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I checked on it after like an hour and it is still the same and now I am trying a second attempt and the same thing happens it freezes after telling it to dump game then it comes back to a installing screen that just stays their with a small amout of fill that never grows.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I checked on it after like an hour and it is still the same and now I am trying a second attempt and the same thing happens it freezes after telling it to dump game then it comes back to a installing screen that just stays their with a small amout of fill that never grows.
My advice to you is to just download someone else' dump.

I'm sure there is a way using vwii to make a gamebackup, but I've never searched for it.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks! It turns out that wiiflow has worked before, but when I load a save file in Kirby the game black screens and I have to unplug my Wii U. I just found out that this also happens on CFG USB Loader, so it's a problem with this game in particular. I'm happy that I can use Wiiflow again! I wonder if a Wiiflow mod version would work as well. Might as well stick with this version, nothing more to gain.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@x65943
Wiiflow is the best thing ever! I got it fully working for both Wii and Gamecube games.
In order to use it with Nintendont, you must use the latest Wiiflow Master Mod (V4.2.3 r1053). Then in Wiiflow, you just set the source to Gamecube and it shows everything on the SD. Click on a game then click the gear icon. From here you can edit Nintendont settings such as Wiiu widescreen and NMM which is the emulated memory card. Setting it to default makes every game save to an indivisual memory card file. The last thing to do is to configure wiiflow to "Return to: Wiiflow". This way when you exit a Wii or Gamecube game, it will return to Wiiflow. But you have to install the forwarder channel first using the wiiflow channel installer.

You'll also want to configure wiiflow to show the source menu on boot. This way you can choose between Wii or Gamecube games when you first open Wiiflow.
So in the end

When starting up Wiiflow: Shows the source menu to select what type of games you want to display
When exiting a game: Goes right back to Wiiflow
Gamecube games: Wii U widescreen, single memory card per game

I absolutely love this setup, and Wiiflow works just as great as any other loader out there. I got it customized with a star night theme and music. Hands down the best loader for SD or USB on Wii U. Though I've never tested USB with it yet. I use a USB HDD for Wii U, then an SD card for vWii. Best of both worlds, don't have to unplug anything.

Last edited by MattKimura,

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@x65943
Wiiflow is the best thing ever! I got it fully working for both Wii and Gamecube games.
In order to use it with Nintendont, you must use the latest Wiiflow Master Mod (V4.2.3 r1053). Then in Wiiflow, you just set the source to Gamecube and it shows everything on the SD. Click on a game then click the gear icon. From here you can edit Nintendont settings such as Wiiu widescreen and NMM which is the emulated memory card. Setting it to default makes every game save to an indivisual memory card file. The last thing to do is to configure wiiflow to "Return to: Wiiflow". This way when you exit a Wii or Gamecube game, it will return to Wiiflow. But you have to install the forwarder channel first using the wiiflow channel installer.

You'll also want to configure wiiflow to show the source menu on boot. This way you can choose between Wii or Gamecube games when you first open Wiiflow.
So in the end

When starting up Wiiflow: Shows the source menu to select what type of games you want to display
When exiting a game: Goes right back to Wiiflow
Gamecube games: Wii U widescreen, single memory card per game

I absolutely love this setup, and Wiiflow works just as great as any other loader out there. I got it customized with a star night theme and music. Hands down the best loader for SD or USB on Wii U. Though I've never tested USB with it yet. I use a USB HDD for Wii U, then an SD card for vWii. Best of both worlds, don't have to unplug anything.
That sounds awsome! It seems like im having a problem though. Ok so I got a rom of smash bros brawl in wbfs but relised that i had to use a special tool to put games over 4gb so i used that to put it on but when i go to launch it it just gives me a black screen then sends me back to the vwii menu.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds awsome! It seems like im having a problem though. Ok so I got a rom of smash bros brawl in wbfs but relised that i had to use a special tool to put games over 4gb so i used that to put it on but when i go to launch it it just gives me a black screen then sends me back to the vwii menu.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk
Are you loading from USB HDD? This has always happened to me and some friends when loading games from USB using Wiiflow. Which is one benefit to using an SD card on Wiiflow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-