Hacking How do I know if my burner can burn DVD+R or DVD-R

Fangedelic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sao Tome and Principe
I currently burn my DVD-R's on my Fujitsu Lifebook (Windows Vista). The outside of the CD tray reads: DVD Multi Recorder and DVD+Rewritable.

My model number is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GSA-T20N ATA Device.

I havent been able to burn games into DVD-R on my WiiKey so I thought this might be the problem. Help please!

Fangedelic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sao Tome and Principe
Note that when I pop in a DVD-R disk, and try to burn an ISO on it, the process is smooth and there is no errors. But I'm not sure if its producing a 'blank' disk only.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what do you mean you haven't been able to "burn games into DVD-R"? Are you saying it fails to burn, it rejects burning, it pops up an error? And no need to double post to get your more attention, just EDIT your existing post

At the moment you've said that you're not sure you have a wiikey installed, you're not sure it's enabled, and you're not sure whether the discs are even burning correctly. Did you even bother trying different media to see what the result was like? It doesn't sound like it

Fangedelic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sao Tome and Principe
Sorry for the confusion guys...not used to message boards. My apologies. I have already determined I have a WiiKey because I asked some other shop to check and they said there was.

Currently Im burning with my Fujitsu DVD Burner but it says DVD+Rewritable which made me suspect that it only can record DVD+R's, but Im still not sure and wanted to ask you guys.

I have been burning with TDK DVD-Rs and have been trying to find a problem, but to no avail, until I JUST (5 minutes ago) burned Mario Party 8 to a Verbatim DVD+R disk and it works fine!

What I want to know is, is it the media (TDK's) fault, or is it that my burner can only burn DVD+R's?

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well if you just burned mario party 9 and it worked, I would say you have a media problem, which was why I suggested this in the first place. I have not heard of a DVD Writer only writing to DVD+Rs so again I would suggest you invest in some good quality DVDrs. Try burning Resident Evil on the Verbatim disc and see if that works, if it does it will confirm the TDK being the culprit

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There could possibly be a problem with your burner. We had a LiteOn drive that was supposed to burn EVERYTHING and it worked for about 2 weeks, then suddenly it stopped burning to +R disks. Stopped reading them too. It would still read and write fine to -R disks though, as well as CD/CDR's. We had to replace it.

I don't have a Wii, let alone a modded one, so I don't know what types of disks it can read, but if you're trying rewritable disks (DVD+/-RW) as opposed to standard "write-once" DVD+/-R, that could be the problem. There are many drives that don't want to hear about the rewritable disks, maybe the Wii has that type of drive....I don't know. Use the "write-once" disks and not the rewritables.

Burning at 4X or less is a good idea too. I've encountered some older DVD drives that won't read some disks that were written too fast, but if they were burned at a low speed, would read them fine.

Another possibility is that your burner drive needs a firmware update to handle newer types of disks......something to look into anyway.

Yet another possibility is that the ISO you're trying to burn is bogus or corrupt.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think all that the DVD+Rewritable means is that not only can you burn DVDs (Both + and -) but you can also burn RW DVDs (presumably also both + and -). The only thing I would say is that you might not be able to change the booktype, but that's not really an issue most of the time.

-R are supposed to be the Most compatible, so every DVD burner should work with -R.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think all that the DVD+Rewritable means is that not only can you burn DVDs (Both + and -) but you can also burn RW DVDs (presumably also both + and -).  The only thing I would say is that you might not be able to change the booktype, but that's not really an issue most of the time.

-R are supposed to be the Most compatible, so every DVD burner should work with -R.

Not true. This is from another HP webpage:

My DVD Burner:
Write DVD+R: 8x
Write DVD+RW: 4x
Read DVD / +R / +RW / -R / -RW: 12x

c00244211.jpg

QUOTE said:
1 - Emergency eject hole
2 - Compact Disc ReWritable High Speed icon
3 - General Status LED
4 - Eject button
5 - DVD+R/+RW icon

Other HP DVD Burner
Write DVD+R / -R: 8x
Write DVD+RW / -RW: 4x
Read DVD / +R / +RW / -R / -RW: 12x

c00244212.jpg

1 - General Status LED
2 - Emergency eject hole
3 - DVD-R/-RW icon
4 - DVD+R/+RW icon
5 - CompactDisc ReWritable Ultra Speed icon

Notice the lack of the DVD-R/-RW icon on my drive and the complete lack of DVD-R/-RW capabilities in my drive's description. I can READ those discs but I can't burn them!

SOURCE: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...=c00001838#N917

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a thought, a lot of HP drives are actually benq or phillips and can use each others firmware:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=102267

Do your research long and hard though.
Interesting but honestly I don't need DVD-R. Then again if I had known, I may have bought those Glossy Waterproof Taiyo Yudensinstead of Verbatim Mattes. But now I have just shy of 100 Verbatim DVD+R so I'm gonna stick that out! By the time I run out I'll probably have my new laptop which should be able to burn everything shy of Blu-Ray.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Who the hell was the genius that created - and + DVD discs?
(I bet it was SONY).

Grrrrhhh... I mean duality is great!, but it is kinda getting ridiculous!.

Back on topic, Fangedelic did you solve your problems by getting new blank disks?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1