Gaming How do I get better at Call Of Duty, or FPS games in general?

• Thread starter Zorua
  • Start date
  • Views 6,081
  • Replies 56
Z

Zorua

OP
So, I'm going to my friend's place on Tuesday and he's holding a Black OPS tournament. I suck at FPS games so how do I get better at them? Any advice?

basilb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
preparation can help. find out the rules of the tourney, what maps are going to be used, whether it's going to be 1 v 1, free for all, team dm or objectives.

pick a decent gun, in black ops the ak74u is very handy in all but very long range fire(if you're playing with only beginning weapons, mp5k with rapid fire is an ok substitute). with all guns unlocked, the Stoner heavyMG is deadly, if very loud. also, the Commando is a good all round assault rifle.

if u'r not very good at shooting straight, find tight corners/choke points and get melee/claymour kills (bare in mind if it's split screen mode, your opponent might know u r there). also if u'r hurt and being chased, semtex grenade at your pursuer is a good way to get away of at least trade kills.

good luck!

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Relax and try to be smooth, don't get stressed and that kind of stuff, fix the sensitivity to something you find comfortable, if you are in a gunfire in an open area, keep shooting, either you die or your oponent does.

Main thing is relax. If you don't, you'll control like a wooden plank and get owned hardcore. I used to be like that.

ninditsu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
Relax and try to be smooth, don't get stressed and that kind of stuff, fix the sensitivity to something you find comfortable, if you are in a gunfire in an open area, keep shooting, either you die or your oponent does.

Main thing is relax. If you don't, you'll control like a wooden plank and get owned hardcore. I used to be like that.

this.
but the knife and claymore kills, require less FPS skill and is good for learning maps which should help in becoming more relaxed when starting to do gun kills

Joktan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just chill man.video games are meant to be fun.don't over think it.the galil silenced is a good long range gun,famas can kill anybody like none other.or just be a noob and sit in a couner with a powerful gun and shoot.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
its all about practice. you wont get good if you dont play it regularly. that is one thing. also, as said before, figure out what maps are you guys going to play. there are always hotspots in which people usually are in which you can flank them and have easy kills. if you know the game pretty well and you are good at fps games you can always learn where spawn points are and spawn kill people. i never camp, and dont like camping. one of my strategies is have a weapon with good accuracy ( weapons like this can work in any distance if you use them well) if yyou are doing long shots, never hold the trigger, use bursts, that way you have more chance to kill people. if in close encounters, never aim down. just shoot, it takes less time like this and you are more in an advantage to kill your enemy. if you decide to run around the map. i recommend always going around the map. never take the middle, since that usually is where everyone is and have more chance to get killed

Z

Zorua

OP
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Keep 'em coming! Also, is anybody willing to play free for all, 1 vs 1 with me on XBL? You can help me improve and post what I'm doing wrong here. I don't have my PS3 right now, but if you have PSN, tell me and we'll figure out something.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
another suggestion i can give is use your own controller. many people might think this is stupid but its not. the controller you use is worn out in how you play games, therefore buttons, sticks, triggers, and feel of the controller are "adapted" to your playing. just practice alot, get the feel of the game's engine, and physics (like how guns shoot, throwing grenades, sprinting, aiming, looking around).

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just relax, and use whatever your comfortable with. The only thing that will make you good at FPS games is experience.

I would be willing to play 1v1 Black Ops (360), if you'd like.

(Keep in mind, I'm not exactly a pro either.)

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zorua said:
Thanks for the suggestion, burgers. Dangy, what's your gamertag?

MagnificCAKE, I might have added you, I'm not sure. When would you want to get on?

QUOTE(aiRWaLKRe @ May 21 2011, 10:22 PM) I hate playing FPS on consoles, I need my mouse and keyboard setup to kick butt in FPS!!! I suck with a controller. That's all I have to say

Same here, if I had a better computer, there is no way I would be playing 360.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Play the campaign through and through. Most game campaigns let you try out a variety of weapons.

My personal favorites are the FN-FAL, AUG, and FAMAS. In that order. Side weapon should without a doubt be Python with Speed Reloader. Those are the only guns I use. I'm not a pro at all, but I can tell you my skill went up leaps and bounds when I started using those guns.

Also, perks: Hardline, Steady Aim, and Second Chance Pro. It's a N00b combo, but if it means you get more kills, why not?

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, play the campaign through many times
biggrin.gif

I suck pretty badly at it and thats because I dont practice enough or put too much time on this.

If you WANT to be good at it and want to be a ranked player, all you can do is practice. It takes time to get good at everything
smile.gif

Z

Zorua

OP
Ohh well. It's okay.
wink.gif

Do any other 'tempers want to play Black OPS with me on XBL?
I don't have it on my PS3.

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
Whenever you lose blame the controller. Say your opponent is a cheating, hacker or cheating hacker.
And if you manage to win one say:"In your face! NOOB!" and do a little dance!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu